Proposal: AZ & The Caps: Chych Goes 2 DC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Gests Hosed?

• Total voters

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Pass from the Capitals.

I wouldn’t move McMichael and Fehervary both in a deal because of our cap situation.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Yotes don't accept that, especially after drafting Cooley and Geekie this year. Perhaps...

TO WSH:
- Chychrun

TO ARI:
- Chesley
- Alexeyev
- 2023 1st (lottery protected)

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I think all other teams would match that offer easily
i don't know they would. Fehervary and McMichael are both NHLers now. You can consider them graduated but still on ELCs. They can easily slot in top 6/top 4 in that arizona lineup. Eller only has one year left so Arizona doesn't have to take any long term cap back that other teams may try to dump on AZ.

Not sure about the pick (1st/2nd), seems like a fair deal. But I would prefer to part with Lapierre and upgrade to a 2023 1st, so Caps could run Kuznetsov/Strome/McMichael this year

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Where does this idea come from that the Caps are in the market for a top-pairing blueliner, anyway? There's no indication this is the case. They really like Fehervary, who is young and already a solid partner for Carlson. He's as unlikely to be traded as any player, I'd suspect. Young, cheap, bright future.

That's before getting to McMichael, who has a long future as the team's No. 3 or No. 2 center ahead of him. There was some thought that he might be available to fix their immediate center dilemma if they went shopping for JT Miller, but the price kept rising (or never came down) and they pivoted to Strome.

On defense, they likely have a need for a depth guy, maybe a No. 5-6, possibly a No. 4, though they would need to trade someone to do it. I'd think another veteran in free agency making <$2M is more their speed.

The Caps' days of spending all their futures for immediate help are past. They're balancing between competing and gathering players for the future now. Adding three years of Chychrun just means he leaves at the same time as Ovechkin and Backstrom and Oshie and the rest of the legacy core.

Reactions: CapsFrontOffice

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
A better fit for the Coyotes here would be Edmonton, which is right at the crest of its contention curve and (IMO) badly needs help on defense. Maybe a deal centered around a first rounder and Broberg?

Reactions: IvanMalison

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Where does this idea come from that the Caps are in the market for a top-pairing blueliner, anyway? There's no indication this is the case. They really like Fehervary, who is young and already a solid partner for Carlson. He's as unlikely to be traded as any player, I'd suspect. Young, cheap, bright future.

That's before getting to McMichael, who has a long future as the team's No. 3 or No. 2 center ahead of him. There was some thought that he might be available to fix their immediate center dilemma if they went shopping for JT Miller, but the price kept rising (or never came down) and they pivoted to Strome.

On defense, they likely have a need for a depth guy, maybe a No. 5-6, possibly a No. 4, though they would need to trade someone to do it. I'd think another veteran in free agency making <$2M is more their speed.

The Caps' days of spending all their futures for immediate help are past. They're balancing between competing and gathering players for the future now. Adding three years of Chychrun just means he leaves at the same time as Ovechkin and Backstrom and Oshie and the rest of the legacy core.
I guess my first, and most self evident response to this A) I got the idea from the Caps subforum ;) and B) Chychrun is also really young. I think he’s something like 18mo older than Fehervary, as an example. :)

A better fit for the Coyotes here would be Edmonton, which is right at the crest of its contention curve and (IMO) badly needs help on defense. Maybe a deal centered around a first rounder and Broberg?
Broberg and a 1st would work for me if they chucked in Puljujarvi. I like McMichael better than Broberg and Fehervary better than Puljujarvi though.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Broberg and a 1st would work for me if they chucked in Puljujarvi. I like McMichael better than Broberg and Fehervary better than Puljujarvi though.
No doubt, and I agree. Yet I don't think the Caps are fishing for a player of this caliber on defense, and wouldn't be looking to denude itself of its best futures like this.

As for a Caps' fan origin of this sort of discussion, that doesn't confer any additional legitimacy. Fans like good players and it's often no more complicated than that... Chychrun is a very good player, but the sort of team willing to give up the sort of young assets coveted by Arizona is likely to look more like an Edmonton or Toronto - younger, hungrier, and Cupless this generation versus the Caps, who are aging and won their title with this group.

They are at the tail end of their contention curve and are already looking to the future with their recent moves. Their efforts to hold on for one last hurrah are only taking place in free agency, and not much term outside of Kuemper. They will deal thirds and even seconds but they are holding on to their first rounders now, and their better prospects.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Pass from the Capitals.

I wouldn’t move McMichael and Fehervary both in a deal because of our cap situation.
Same. The deal favors the Caps but it’s not one they should make. The Future Is becoming Now for the Capitals, time to actually get younger and let the accumulated youth play and mature.

No doubt, and I agree. Yet I don't think the Caps are fishing for a player of this caliber on defense, and wouldn't be looking to denude itself of its best futures like this.

As for a Caps' fan origin of this sort of discussion, that doesn't confer any additional legitimacy. Fans like good players and it's often no more complicated than that... Chychrun is a very good player, but the sort of team willing to give up the sort of young assets coveted by Arizona is likely to look more like an Edmonton or Toronto - younger, hungrier, and Cupless this generation versus the Caps, who are aging and won their title with this group.

They are at the tail end of their contention curve and are already looking to the future with their recent moves. Their efforts to hold on for one last hurrah are only taking place in free agency, and not much term outside of Kuemper. They will deal thirds and even seconds but they are holding on to their first rounders now, and their better prospects.
Agree wholly. The organization appears aware that the focus need to be on transitioning to the future.

gotothedirtyareas

May 4, 2022
Can't give away both McMichael & Ferehvary. A top six and a top four (maybe top 2) who are young.
I'd give up Carlson for Chycchurn.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If that's all that was required a deal would be done.

IDK why every time Chychurn comes up Arizona asks for Ottawa's eyeteeth if that's all you want from Washington.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
As always, feel free to flame me :)

To WSH:
Jakob Chychrun

To ARI:
Lars Eller
Martin Fehervary
Connor McMichael
2025 WSH 2nd Rounder
I think the value is fine for WAS but then they are pretty depleted at C I would think (but I'll let Caps fans speak up)

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yotes don't accept that, especially after drafting Cooley and Geekie this year. Perhaps...

TO WSH:
- Chychrun

TO ARI:
- Chesley
- Alexeyev
- 2023 1st (lottery protected)
This offer has so much less value than the OP's for Arizona, I would take this and run as a Capitals fan. We get Chychrun while managing to keep both our best forward prospect AND our rookie defenseman? And instead we only have to give up a 2nd round pick D and a D that can't stay healthy? Hell yes.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Agree wholly. The organization appears aware that the focus need to be on transitioning to the future.
They really like Fehervary, who is young and already a solid partner for Carlson. He's as unlikely to be traded as any player, I'd suspect. Young, cheap, bright future.
Yall acting like Chyrchrun is some crusty old vet. He's 24, only 18 months older than Fehervary. He's signed to a very affordable deal with term remaining. As promising as Fehervary is, Chychrun is already the player that Caps fans hope Fehervary will eventually become. And Chyrchrun has potential for more still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad