Proposal: Avs - Canes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Already put this out on Canes forums, but wanted to have more discussion about the subject:

Mikko Rantanen for Martin Necas, 2024 1st and 2025 1st.

Avs are in cap trouble and Nichushkin situation brings a lot of uncertainty. Mikko will need ~12-13M x 7-8yrs to re-sign, so trading him is an option worth exploring, even though trading a superstar is rarely a wise solution. Avs have been too top heavy and with this way they could pay the depth more. Canes could use the ppg++ playoff player Mikko is. They should be able to pay him and I'd imagine Mikko would like to play in a team with multiple Finns. This could be the move that gets Canes the superstar they need up front to get further in the playoffs.

Seems like Canes are moving on from Necas and the Avs could afford to give him the 7,5-8M annual contract he wants. He would replace most of the production that Mikko does. Avs also get two good draft picks, even though those are late in the first round of the draft to add future talents or have more trade to bolster the team that way.

Discuss, thank you.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
In no way would Colorado entertain trading away their very talented elite 100 point (x 2) scoring forward that can just about play in situation.

The 1st rounders would probably be late 1st round picks which is not enough to acquire one of the best forwards in the league.

Reactions: Zubrus Coffee Maker

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
As a Canes fan I'd do something close to this.

The Canes need a scorer and one with size to get to the middle in the playoffs.

I'd want to downgrade one of the firsts to something else.

We could include Pesces rights as part of the deal if that is of interest to the Avs.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
How does this help with the Canes cap crunch? That's half the reason they are looking to move Necas

If they can work with Rantanen's cap of 9,25M for the next year then they should be fine. For example, Orlov's deal ends after 24-25 season.

In no way would Colorado entertain trading away their very talented elite 100 point (x 2) scoring forward that can just about play in situation.

The 1st rounders would probably be late 1st round picks which is not enough to acquire one of the best forwards in the league.

Well, I value Necas a lot and think he would thrive in Colorado. It's not just the draft picks, Necas is the most valuable piece out of the three ones that Colorado gets.

We could include Pesces rights as part of the deal if that is of interest to the Avs.

Personally I don't feel like I would be okay with the downgrade to something lesser than a late first round pick.. also don't really think we'd have the money to sign Pesce. But I feel like we're close here though, so the value isn't that bad.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s “Core-Core” in Colorado. He’s not going anywhere, anytime soon. If Necas is traded, the Canes are likely going to end up with a good, younger NHL player and a nice young player/prospect. At the most. They can’t really take a big salary back. So for example, if he were traded to Detroit, it would be something like Rasmussen and one of Detroit’s prospects.

That’s the type of trade Canes fans should expect. A good younger player who makes under $4 million for a few years, who’s still not in his own prime yet but under team control, and a nice prospect. I wouldn’t get hopes up that the prospect is Grade A either. It’ll be a nice one or another younger NHL player, but not premium. Not unless the NHL player in return is lower quality.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Just to make sure here... You aren't suggesting downgrading a 1st to Pesce's rights, right?

Either way, I don't even think Colorado would accept the OPs deal. Those two firsts would be extremely late. Not worth it at all. I'd want a young piece much closer to the NHL then a 2025 1st in the 25-32 range.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I can't see the Avs doing this but value wise, I think the there would need to be some conditions added to those draft picks as they are going to likely be upper 20s-30s in position which is a bit underwhelming. Like if one of those picks is every in the top 15, then it turns fair but if they are both like #25 or higher, than I'd think the Avs would get a small add.

A lot of assets for Carolina to drop but this is a top 10 player in the league so if they can afford to make this big play...

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad