Auston Matthews Watch 2016

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Seguin trade remains the most disastrous move of the Chiarelli administration, which, I agree, will haunt us until we find another elite forward to replace him.

Over the long haul Seguin may be his worst mistake but I think the Boychuk trade is what broke the team-and Chiarelli in the end didn't even need to do it. He never followed through and traded for a top RW or top Dman. Chiarelli kept the old guys and traded the youth and he didn't have to.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
To be honest, yours if the first time I've heard Matthews in the same breath as McD and Eichel. Three generational talents in two drafts? Call me crazy, but that sounds too good to be true...unless we are devaluing the word "generational" here. And Hanifin isn't in the same pool as Chychrun and Ekblad. Like I said, I'm sure he'll be a great player, but D wins championships. I think the data I provided is sufficient proof of that. Matthews or not, we need a #1D if we ever want to sniff that Cup again.

There are plenty of very credible commentators there that have been saying so.

TSN:

Were he available for next June's draft in Sunrise, Florida, he would – in my view - be considered in the same category as Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/button-matthews-the-clear-favourite-to-go-no-1-in-2016-draft-1.107932

The Hockey News:

That much is clear with Matthews, who played his youth hockey in Arizona before joining the U.S. National Team Development Program last year. All he has done since is outperform Eichel offensively each step of the way and establish himself as a generational player who can change the course of a game. One scout said at an under-18 Four Nations tournament in Sweden in December, Matthews excelled.
“He did things I’ve never seen,†he said. “He was absolutely dominant.â€

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/auston-matthews-or-jesse-puljujarvi-whos-no-1-in-2016/

There are others.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
If we continue to play as bad as we have and then deal some vets for more picks in the right deals, we may end up with both Matthews and Chcyhrun, then with the cap space sign Stamkos and a couple other good players and this team will turn it around very fast and be on top again.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I don't remember where I saw them exactly, but I remember there being stories at the Draft where scouts said that if Matthews had been eligible this year, he would have gone 2nd behind McDavid and ahead of Eichel.

Who knows how reputable this was?

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
I don't remember where I saw them exactly, but I remember there being stories at the Draft where scouts said that if Matthews had been eligible this year, he would have gone 2nd behind McDavid and ahead of Eichel.

Pretty sure McKenzie was saying it at the draft if I remember correctly.

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to NC, it's warmer than WI :)
even with rask they are going to get killed with miller, mcquaid and seidenberg playing significant minutes. in addition to this I don't think they're going to be able to score at all.

SNL_1350_09_Debbie_Downer.png

BigBadBruins63*

7 teams are neck-to-neck for the 1st overall pick starting 0-3

Boston
Pittsburgh
LA
Columbus
Carolina
NJ
Edmonton

Let the rebuild start in Pittsburgh and LA!

Pittsburgh and LA both have good/deep teams. There's a difference between their start and ours. Columbus as well. In the end those teams will be where they belong, and the Bruins will be where they belong; bottom 3 team in the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

We need to get Auston in Boston and Jacob too. Could you imagine getting both these guys after we make some deals at the deadline for another top pick or two? Then signing Jimmy Veysey and getting Stamkos as the top free agent with the tons of cap space we would have after dealing vets like Chara, Rask and Seids, Kelly and Talbot deals will be done next year also. It could be a very quick turn around for our Bruins.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
We need to get Auston in Boston and Jacob too. Could you imagine getting both these guys after we make some deals at the deadline for another top pick or two? Then signing Jimmy Veysey and getting Stamkos as the top free agent with the tons of cap space we would have after dealing vets like Chara, Rask and Seids, Kelly and Talbot deals will be done next year also. It could be a very quick turn around for our Bruins.
Rask will not be traded. In fact im willing to wager Bergeron would be traded first, which wont happen, neither will Rask.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

Right on -- I heard this precisely too.

In fact, I think shaun (further up) is right:

Pretty sure McKenzie was saying it at the draft if I remember correctly.

I recall the same -- I went looking for a link, but couldn't find it.

But it happened, as several others have heard it:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=101898385&postcount=2

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Another journo on Auston Matthews:

Matthews, a 6’2” forward who was born on September 17, 1997, misses the cutoff for the 2015 NHL Draft by all of two days. He’d be an early pick if he were eligible this year; the U.S. National Team Development Program grad starred at both the U-18 and U-20 level internationally and scored two points per game in the USHL. He wouldn’t go ahead of Connor McDavid, but he’d certainly be in the conversation along with Jack Eichel for the No. 2 slot.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...dont-more-top-nhl-draft-prospects-do-the-same

And this, where he absolutely blew away production by Eichel, Kane, and Kessel with US NTDP:

Last edited:

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
If we continue to play as bad as we have and then deal some vets for more picks in the right deals, we may end up with both Matthews and Chcyhrun, then with the cap space sign Stamkos and a couple other good players and this team will turn it around very fast and be on top again.

We Toronto fans now?

BigBadBruins63*

If Edmonton gets the first overall pick again, the league should just say no

The last thing they need is the #1 pick, just b/c they need a franchise defenseman, badly, and would probably take Matthews just b/c.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad