Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine - Round IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
This thread is pointless, Toronto will take matthews no matter what because he's a center. Winnipeg will get laine. In years this will be a rivalry like ovechkin vs crosby.

eppe

Apr 11, 2016
Laine scored 9 goals on the PP in regular season, 5 in the playoffs.

And yet in the WC he doesnt get much PP time. I mean, Jokinen was chosen today over him playing with Barkov. Such a mistake, with Laine Finland would have won even with more goals.. The kid does what he wants. And the opponents know that, usually Laine has one or more guys to block him in order to make the goal chance disappear. Still, 6 points in two days, that's just amazing.

Rewrite the history, boy!

cotopaxi

Feb 2, 2015
Nylander has outplayed Eichel at international tournaments before. The way Eichel has progressed into the NHL over Nylander proves that international performance played no bearing in their future NHL performance.

How about playoff MVP performance in one of the toughest leagues in the world?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We haven't said we are taking Matthews yet though. Why would we be panicking?

That's my point. There is a major assumption being made here that the Leafs will pick Matthews.

All I know of all I hear about Hunter speak, and historically. Since joining the Leafs he has listened to his European scouts with signings of multiple non NA signings. So obviously he values his Euro scouts.

We also know most Euro scouts put Laine ahead of Matthews per Mckenzie(so that is fact if he reports it) And Hunter himself has drafted previous Finns in Maata and Juolevi for the Knights.

Now I am not saying he will pick Laine. Only don't be shocked if he did. But anyone that thinks Matthews is a slam dunk choice, is not being realistic given Laine is progressively upping his game from even when he was already impressive after the WJC when he was highly regarded even back then. That was 5 months ago. What do they think of him now? Probably even better.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
And yet in the WC he doesnt get much PP time. I mean, Jokinen was chosen today over him playing with Barkov. Such a mistake, with Laine Finland would have won even with more goals.. The kid does what he wants. And the opponents know that, usually Laine has one or more guys to block him in order to make the goal chance disappear. Still, 6 points in two days, that's just amazing.

Rewrite the history, boy!

Laine was pretty meh today besides PP play. I know that he can be much better. His effectiveness is outstanding though.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
why in the world are you "limiting" Matthews to Modano but raising Laine up to one of the greatest players of all time in Lemieux? Laine's skating is not close to Lemieuxs. Not close at all.

Both are equal talents. Both are amazing players.

I think the first paragraph really is indicating here. If you put an equal two way center in place of Matthews the difference in importance of positions the kids play shows. Who would it be, if we put Jagr as Laine (Lemieux I won't touch that is sacrilege)? A hybrid of young and old Yzerman?

I still take Matthews as every team apart from Edmonton. Even Buffalo.

That being said I think a lot of the bad blood here comes from people thinking saying Laine is slightly better than Matthews as bashing as well as saying Matthews has always been and still is consensus #1 as Laine bashing. And then things heat up.

Categorizing Finns and Leafs fans as the most biased homers in universe doesn't really help the conversation either. (Although, being a Habs fan and having lived in Finland for a long time, that might not be too far from truth j/k ) :)

It's close as far as BPA goes. Matthews is the center and has a longer resume. Laine has been better this year in my opinion. As I said, I would still go with Matthews.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How is that relevant to this thread?

If those are your comparisons for Laine or Matthews then I can't help but LOL :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I understand that Finland has a terrible hockey program and it's rare to see good players come out of that country but come on.

This is a pretty terrible conclusion. How does a country of five and a half million that routinely pumps out elite hockey talent have a terrible hockey program?

Matthews should go #1, but statements like that do nothing for the actual debate. Finland has an incredible record in terms of producing hockey talent, especially when considering some of the factors.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
To be brutally honest, I hope Toronto will go for Matthews (and they would have very good reasons to do it anyway): it's a crazy hockey town with tons of unrealistic expectations and very little patience - I just see the youthful and promising underdog Winnipeg as a much better suited team for Laine.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Nylander has outplayed Eichel at international tournaments before. The way Eichel has progressed into the NHL over Nylander proves that international performance played no bearing in their future NHL performance.

You miss the fact that Matthews didn't carry his team to gold in this years post season

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Stefan/Heatley/Gaborik or Spezza/Lecavalier/E.Staal

:P

-
So if the Leafs do take Laine, are the same people going to be saying "HA, missed on Matthews!!" I rather watch Laine outplay Matthews[if we took AM], than Matthews outplay Laine[if we took PL] We take the BPA and will be happy with Matthews; Laine is a great player though.

Stavros

Nov 30, 2015
On paper Laine has had at least as impressive season as Matthews. I have not seen enough games from Matthews to say which one is better. I think that there are VERY few people on this board who have actually watched enough of both to say who is better, yet everyone seems to have very strong opinions.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Maybe we should wait until Matthews plays Germany and Laine plays against Canada before we jump to that conclusion...

Notice in my post that you replied to.
Laine has outplayed Matthew at the WJC, either Pro league, and thus far (its early and I will amend this statement if Matthews proves otherwise) to this point of evaluation.

Agreed. No one is jumping to conclusions. But to this point. Laine has.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
To be brutally honest, I hope Toronto will go for Matthews (and they would have very good reasons to do it anyway): it's a crazy hockey town with tons of unrealistic expectations and very little patience - I just see the youthful and promising underdog Winnipeg as a much better suited team for Laine.

You'd be right if this was 5 years ago. Toronto has accepted the youth movement and are letting Shanahan do his thing. This thread isn't about that though so I'll leave it at that.

Also...Winnipeg isn't a crazy hockey town? :sarcasm:

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Laine was pretty meh today besides PP play. I know that he can be much better. His effectiveness is outstanding though.

It's not the first time Laine dissappears when his team is winning comfortably.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Realistically speaking, Laine is probably going to score 97 goals next season in the NHL while Matthews will probably hit about 40 points in the AHL. Combine that goal production with the fact that Laine is 6'8", 275 pounds and probably the fastest skater Finland has ever produced.

And not only that, Laine's defensive play is really comparable to a guy like Bob Gainey, and he dekes like Datsyuk.

He's probably going to break the record for career points in about five years, and will easily be a contender for Vezina, Norris and Jack Adams every year. Plus, he was playoff MVP in the toughest league in the world.

He's not without his flaws of course. His English could use a bit of work, he takes quite a while to run through translations in his head.

Matthews is good and all, but I see him as more of a third line center who will likely be a fourth liner when he ends up playing for the Melbourne Mustangs of the AIHL.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
In Finland we have this saying "Toinen tykkää äidistä, toinen tyttärestä". I think thats apply in this Laine vs Matthews thread pretty well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad