Auston Matthews Vs Artemi Panarin next season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which player do you take for your team next season?and why?

• Total voters

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You take the center over the winger. Unless the winger is the better play driver.

Voted Panarin.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I never bought into the HF narrative that it always ultimately is. All things bring equal, mostly sure. But not definitively all the time.
So you are basically favoring the guy who has missed the least time vs talent, upside, position, age and goals.

The point a game reference was odd since Auston was among the youngest to achieve a career point a game.

Interesting opinion, health concerns are certainly valid.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Canucks don't necessarily even need a Center as much as they need a Winger right now, but i'd still easily take Matthews. He'd be dynamite with Pettersson, whichever of them ends up playing Wing. Panarin is plenty talented, but i think Matthews brings more to the table all-around, and it never hurts to have an overabundance of capable Top-6 Centers as injury insurance and even just for flexibility. So that's where i'd go.
Pettersson would be deadly with Matthews. Thats why I hope to marner with him more often. If Matthews is paired with a dipsy guy like Marner/Pettersson/Gaudreau/Kane etc it allows Matthews to get "lost" in coverage while Pettersson/Marner etc are doing their dipsy stuff then with Matthews release all u need is that quick pass.

Reactions: biturbo19

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Edit-

Confusing this Panarin in this thread with Aho on a similar thread.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Edit-

Confusing this Panarin in this thread with Aho on a similar thread.
Your right, Auston is already better. Only brought up the point of game rate because it was one of your two reasons for backing Panarin and yet it is Auston's advantage. Your hope is Panarin still has more upside to tap?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Your right, Auston is already better. Only brought up the point of game rate because it was one of your two reasons for backing Panarin and yet it is Auston's advantage. Your hope is Panarin still has more upside to tap?
My initial pre edited reply re upside a mistake on my part confusing a similar thread involving Aho.

In my opinion on this one, the only reason to choose Matthews on this one would be the C>W argument which I personally don’t buy as an absolute definitive advantage in player valuations 100% of the time.

When it comes to upside, particularly with a player like Matthews who was fully physically developed with an NHL man body (which is a definite advantage in draft year) , their usually at or near their upside in around his current age. Chances are he’ll be what he is.

I trust the consistency and durability of Panarin much more, feel that Panarin is more influential on a game to game basis and feel that Panarin has a compete level that far exceeds Matthews’.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Already had Panarin once before. Got swept in the first round.

I'd like to try with Matthews.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
My initial pre edited reply re upside a mistake on my part confusing a similar thread involving Aho.

In my opinion on this one, the only reason to choose Matthews on this one would be the C>W argument which I personally don’t buy as an absolute definitive advantage in player valuations 100% of the time.

When it comes to upside, particularly with a player like Matthews who was fully physically developed with an NHL man body (which is a definite advantage in draft year) , their usually at or near their upside in around his current age. Chances are he’ll be what he is.

I trust the consistency and durability of Panarin much more, feel that Panarin is more influential on a game to game basis and feel that Panarin has a compete level that far exceeds Matthews’.
Let's agree to disagree. I find most of what you are basing your opinion on to be false or a real stretch. Panarin is not more consistent, Matthews probably has not peaked at 21. Put Matthews on wing and he probably scores even more. I'd stick with health.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Let's agree to disagree. I find most of what you are basing your opinion on to be false or a real stretch. Panarin is not more consistent, Matthews probably has not peaked at 21. Put Matthews on wing and he probably scores even more. I'd stick with health.
I’m more than happy to disagree but Panarin is absolutely more consistent. Matthews is far more prime to super hot or colder stretches. You may not remember but he went through a stretch last season where he has scored like 4-5 goals in roughly a 20 game stretch (the exact numbers in im not sure of this moment, but it’s something very close, maybe even worse than what I posted. I tracked it at the time, created a thread about it here, and if need be, I can go back and find he exact total).

I feel very confident basing the argument on not only health, but consistency/dependability and compete level.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Curious what makes him a better play driver? Not sure the stats back that up.

They 100% do. Artemi is perhaps the best transition player in all of hockey. There's a variety of stats that can paint that picture, start with zone exits and zone entries.

Matthews by comparison is frequently the F3 on his line, and not a primary puck carrier.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He would not be much better. Its hard to be much better than 50g 100+ pts. That is a hyperbole.

I refuse to believe Matthews production would go up exponentially playing with McDavid. He doesnt become a 65-70g 140pt forward playing with him. And putting up stats like that is the only way Id say he does "much" better.

50g and 100+ points is hard to replicate for even the best players in the world. That is why it hasnt been done in years.

Drai is a year older and Matthews doesn't play nearly as much on the PP or with anyone as good as McDavid. Very confident he would score over 50 goals with McDavid and likely 110+ points.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He would not be much better. Its hard to be much better than 50g 100+ pts. That is a hyperbole.

I refuse to believe Matthews production would go up exponentially playing with McDavid. He doesnt become a 65-70g 140pt forward playing with him. And putting up stats like that is the only way Id say he does "much" better.

50g and 100+ points is hard to replicate for even the best players in the world. That is why it hasnt been done in years.

But it was done this year.. by a worse player playing with McDavid.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Drai is a year older and Matthews doesn't play nearly as much on the PP or with anyone as good as McDavid. Very confident he would score over 50 goals with McDavid and likely 110+ points.

Even those stats you just suggested would not be much better than a player who put up 50g 105 points.

Even if Matthews put up a stat line such as 54g 57a 111 points, its not noticeably better than what Drai just did.

There is this notion that if you combine elite talent the offense exponentially increases, and that just isnt true.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Panarin for me. We need wingers. His track record is a touch better too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad