AT&T Getting out of the Sports Broadcasting Biz

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Pittsburgh
RSNs are collapsing as a business model. Cable TV subscriptions are down something crazy like 30% compared to the turn of the century and all these RSNs can't pay their rights fees with ad revenue anymore. This is gonna f*** over every franchise that doesn't own their own RSN.

At worst, the Pens don't get their RSN revenue anymore and suddenly ~20% of their income vanishes. The team now operates in the red. This happens to roughly 15 teams across north America (with Bally sports included here). If suddenly 15 teams lose 20% of their revenue the cap is f***ed. The bubble of franchise values will pop just like that if suddenly owning a sports team is not a guaranteed profit generator.

What will need to happen is for FSG to either buy into NESN, or create their own regional network to create content and distribute it themselves. It's gonna suck. RSNs will continue but the future of them will be essentially subsidiaries of the teams that own them. It's not nearly as lucrative or easy as selling rights but you do get the ad revenue directly.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Ownership will likely have to step in and purchase a share of the channel. MSG, NESN, YES, MASN are all at least partially owned by team owners.

Probably the only viable way forward unless the leagues step in.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
This is great news. Was sick of switching Satellite providers to just have them tell me they are no longer carrying AT&T sports Pittsburgh.

Now maybe a solid provider will pick them up so I don't have to stream all the time.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
RSNs are collapsing as a business model. Cable TV subscriptions are down something crazy like 30% compared to the turn of the century and all these RSNs can't pay their rights fees with ad revenue anymore. This is gonna f*** over every franchise that doesn't own their own RSN.

At worst, the Pens don't get their RSN revenue anymore and suddenly ~20% of their income vanishes. The team now operates in the red. This happens to roughly 15 teams across north America (with Bally sports included here). If suddenly 15 teams lose 20% of their revenue the cap is f***ed. The bubble of franchise values will pop just like that if suddenly owning a sports team is not a guaranteed profit generator.

What will need to happen is for FSG to either buy into NESN, or create their own regional network to create content and distribute it themselves. It's gonna suck. RSNs will continue but the future of them will be essentially subsidiaries of the teams that own them. It's not nearly as lucrative or easy as selling rights but you do get the ad revenue directly.

So what you mean is its bad for small market teams like Pittsburgh to have their own network compaired to NYR or Bos ECT...?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
This is great news. Was sick of switching Satellite providers to just have them tell me they are no longer carrying AT&T sports Pittsburgh.

Now maybe a solid provider will pick them up so I don't have to stream all the time.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this likely won't end carriage disputes. And streaming is probably more likely than less likely.

Reactions: Freeptop

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

the pen's have good numbers so someone should pick them up.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

FSG has been wanting to do this.

Reactions: PenguinSuitedUp

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this likely won't end carriage disputes. And streaming is probably more likely than less likely.
I get really solid streams just an inconvenience sometimes when I gotta switch from upstairs/gameroom etc, just slower it get to game.

Nice things is a lot of the good streams are set up to watch home/away.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Lemieux sold at just the right time man. I'm so happy for him. This franchise is going through some serious on-ice turmoil and throwing in a 5 week notice that your games will no longer be aired on TV does NOT help things at all.
He hired Ron Hextall and Brian Burke. Don’t forget that.

Reactions: ncm7772

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
It should surprise literally no one that sports broadcasting companies are going bankrupt. The whole thing is one big shit show and instead of people caving, they are giving them the middle finger. Good f***ing riddance.

This is a good point. Cable and dish are becoming a thing of the past with their unaffordable prices (especially for sports) on top of internet. Thats why streaming has been the future.

I have to think literally no one but sports fans have cable or a dish anymore. Even as the years have gone by since streaming came out, sports fans are getting smarter and cutting the cord to save a $.

So im thinking (hoping) this is a good thing and hopefully blackouts will also be a thing of the past.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
This is a good point. Cable and dish are becoming a thing of the past with their unaffordable prices (especially for sports) on top of internet. Thats why streaming has been the future.

I have to think literally no one but sports fans have cable or a dish anymore. Even as the years have gone by since streaming came out, sports fans are getting smarter and cutting the cord to save a $.

So im thinking (hoping) this is a good thing and hopefully blackouts will also be a thing of the past.
Streaming service this past year have all raised their prices outside of youtubeTV which I anticipate coming shortly.

It's obviously much cheaper than cable/ Satellite now and will be for the foreseeable future but the greed will eventually step in.

Hopefully with more and more competition it regulates pricing and keeps it reasonable.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

People in rural North America (there are tens of millions) often have no other choice than to have a dish. I actually don’t mind it. I pay about 200 bucks a month but I can afford it and I get basically every channel there is and all of the associated apps. Over the years, Directv has been the most reliable way for me to watch Penguins games.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Streaming service this past year have all raised their prices outside of youtubeTV which I anticipate coming shortly.

It's obviously much cheaper than cable/ Satellite now and will be for the foreseeable future but the greed will eventually step in.

Hopefully with more and more competition it regulates pricing and keeps it reasonable.

Cable companies will in the future will have to eventually just call themselves the internet streaming service and they probably will control steaming all together and yes it'll cost more in the future than it does now.

but now it almost feels like cable and internet are 2 services, both expensive when combined- im hoping that it'll be more reasonable paying for 1 service than the current situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad