Speculation: Askarov?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Hey folks Send fan here but saw the Askarov news yesterday and it got me wondering would he be a good fit for you guys?? I look at your situation and core, you are eelite in each area and have young guys everywhere minus in net.

It got me wondering woindering if Askarov be a good for you guys? I would imagine such a trade would be based on Jake Allen being moved and some other pieces begin included

Happy to hear your thoughts

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Dmn I thought trade was made.

Hey folks Send fan here but saw the Askarov news yesterday and it got me wondering would he be a good fit for you guys?? I look at your situation and core, you are eelite in each area and have young guys everywhere minus in net.

It got me wondering woindering if Askarov be a good for you guys? I would imagine such a trade would be based on Jake Allen being moved and some other pieces begin included

Happy to hear your thoughts
Fitz is trying to win now. I believe he doesn’t want to have inexpirienced backup. Because Devils faced a lot of problems with inexpirienced backups year after year. And if Markstrom and Allen will stay - Askarov will face the same situation here this year.

Last edited:

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Dmn I thought trade was made.

Fitz is trying to win now. I believe he doesn’t want to have inexpirienced. Because Devils faced a lot of problems with inexpirienced backups year after year. And if Markstrom and Allen will stay - Askarov will face the same situation here this year.
Thanks btw. I figured that a 50-30 split could work for Askarov since he could still be a backup this year and then you guys could transition Markstrom to a backup role for the next few years.

Not a GM but just curious

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Askarov would be a nice get, but I don't think the Devils have what Nashville would want in return. Maybe Nashville could use a RHD but I don't know if Seamus Casey would be the type of D they'd be looking for since they have a similar-ish guy in Ryan Ufko. But after struggling with goaltending for several years, I think New Jersey wants to go with some proven vets with Markstrom/Allen this season. If the Askarov situation lingers, it might make more sense for us next offseason.

Nashville is up against the cap and had to dump Cody Glass to carve out some room to sign their remaining two RFA forwards. So I don't know if they could fit in an NHL piece. But they might get some cap relief depending on how this unexpected Ryan Johansen contract termination goes down. Even though Askarov has said he won't report to the AHL for Nashville, I'm not sure if that means he's unwilling to report to the AHL period. This might just be his way to force himself into a situation where he wouldn't have to be behind somebody like Juuse Saros for several years.

Trotz tried to dangle Askarov+ to get into the top 4 at the 2023 Draft to land a blue chip center prospect. If they traded Askarov, I feel like they'd still be targeting a center. Unfortunately New Jersey is lacking in that department. If I had to bet, I still feel like San Jose would make for a good trade partner. Blackwood/Vanecek both are on expiring deals and they don't have a goalie prospect kicking down the door. With Celebrini/Smith signed, San Jose had a little bit of excess in center prospects with Filip Bystedt (#70 THN Future Watch), David Edstrom (#69 THN Future Watch), and Cam Lund.

If you were Nashville, would you settle on Askarov for Vegas' 1st rounder 2025 + one of Bystedt/Edstrom/Lund? Carolina is reportedly interested, but most of their prospects are wingers which might not fit for Nashville. A few years back, Florida gave Spencer Knight a pretty big contract to avoid any offer sheet drama. If Nashville plays hardball with Askarov, he'd probably follow Philip Broberg's lead. 2025 1st+B tier prospect seems a little light, but the risk would be losing Askarov for a 2026 2nd if Nashville waits.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No and we generally put trade speculation in the team thread otherwise we could theoretically have a separate thread for every player in the league...and yes the thread title was a bit clickbaity

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad