Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] Artur Kaliyev re-signs with the Kings (1 year, $825k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The amount should be close to his qualifying offer of $874K. The why is that LA doesn't want to lose an asset to Russia and Kaliyev likely doesn't want to go there and lose his foot in the NHL door. It's in both parties' interests to have him in camp and hope that he performs well enough to draw interest from another team at some point during the season.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Would he be at risk of being waived if disappointing, or just lower value and dealt for an equally disappointing forward to see if a change of scenery works ?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Would he be at risk of being waived if disappointing, or just lower value and dealt for an equally disappointing forward to see if a change of scenery works ?
Waivers will certainly be a problem, as they were last year. LA couldn't send him to the AHL last year without putting him through them, so he stayed up, but played only every other game on the 4th line, which is why he wants a trade. Since they didn't risk a waiver claim last year, they may not again his year. If they do risk it, it might be right at the end of training camp, with the hope that no one will claim him because every other team has already set their rosters and there might be better waiver pickups than him. If not, then they may just keep him as the 13th forward again until an opportunity arises (maybe injuries on the Kings, injuries on other teams or a disappointment swap, like you suggested).

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
At this point he's not worth anything past a 4th round pick because of the high probability of being put on waivers.

I like to give him a tryout with Beck/Roy setting him up but if he doesn't buy into 200 ft game, he's going to be put on waivers. He needs to buy into the fact that no one sees him as a top 6 so he has to learn to do more...or off to Europe he goes.

If he doesn't smarten up and put in a huge all around effort for ANY team he plays, he might as well pack his bags and learn how to say...comrade

Reactions: kingsfan28

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That's $50K less than his qualifying offer, which Kaliyev and his agent could've just accepted. I guess that they gave up a little money to make it even easier for the Kings or another team to fit him under the cap.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Kings expecting any sort of value in return in a trade?
Yes, otherwise they wouldn't have qualified and re-signed him. A rumor that I read is that they couldn't get a 5th round pick for him at the draft, so I assume that they want at least a 4th or equivalent value.

I suggested in the Tomasino signing thread that a swap of the two players could make sense. They're both high draft picks that their teams don't seem to want to play anymore, but don't want to lose for nothing.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
That's $50K less than his qualifying offer, which Kaliyev and his agent could've just accepted. I guess that they gave up a little money to make it even easier for the Kings or another team to fit him under the cap.
I could be mistaken but the qualifying offer was likely a two-way contract while he signed a one-way.

Reactions: Osprey

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

His QO would have been a 2-way deal.

By fighting, they got him one-way money.

Ironically, one-way money might be what allows him to pass through waivers. So many teams have their own projects, they may not want to have to spend the opportunity cost of putting one for their own roster players on waivers but also risk paying Kaliyev one way money if he doesn't stick in the NHL.

There were rumors about Ottawa being interested, probably due to the Staios Bulldogs connection, but I don't really see how he is a fit. If JBD fails to make the Sens roster and Kaliyev fails to make the Kings, maybe a swap makes sense at that point because it's two players with similar one-way money.

Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad