Art Ross thread (2018/19)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
While McDavid most likely will end up with the Art Ross, one can not overlook the fact that he cannot really separate himself from the bunch that much. Don't get me wrong, he's an fantastic player but until he has a season where he clearly stands out from his peers he can't be cosnidered an absolute all time elite scorer in the likes of Gretzk, Lemieux or even Jagr. He Needs a real dominat season where his ppg is significantly higher than the´one of all o his competition.
He had 100 points when no one else had 90 in 2016/17

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
He had 100 points when no one else had 90 in 2016/17
Crosby and Kucherov would have given him a run for his money, had they not missed games to injury. Obviously injuries happen but it's not like McDavid was scoring at a clip that no one else in the NHL could match.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
While McDavid most likely will end up with the Art Ross, one can not overlook the fact that he cannot really separate himself from the bunch that much. Don't get me wrong, he's an fantastic player but until he has a season where he clearly stands out from his peers he can't be cosnidered an absolute all time elite scorer in the likes of Gretzk, Lemieux or even Jagr. He Needs a real dominat season where his ppg is significantly higher than the´one of all o his competition.

Having 3 rosses before turning 23 is more than separating yourself. It doesn't matter by how many pts you win, as long as you win.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002

You make an excellent point. Winning three Art Ross trophies in his first four seasons wouldn't "really separate himself from the bunch". It seems like every year there's a few guys who do that.

Sundance

You Can Never Get To
Sep 7, 2010
Lillyhammer
In the last 365 days, McDavid has 124 points (50g/74a), 14 points clear of 2nd place in that timespan, Mikko Rantanen (110 points, in two more games).

He's a half step above the competition and that expectations are too high when it's a disappointment you're not scoring at a Gretzky/Mario level (no one ever will again).

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
In the last 365 days, McDavid has 124 points (50g/74a), 14 points clear of 2nd place in that timespan, Mikko Rantanen (110 points, in two more games).

He's a half step above the competition and that expectations are too high when it's a disappointment you're not scoring at a Gretzky/Mario level (no one ever will again).

I'm curious. In how many games does he have those 124 points?

I'll guess 80-81 games.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
One thing I have learned from the past years is that no matter how good someone looks they will evetually cool down and McDavid wins.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Well this is certainly nothing new, Connor just doing his thing. Waiting for Kuch's answer.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
At this point, there’s no way Mcdavid is losing the Art Ross this year. He’s gonna maintain that pace all season long while other players will slow down a little bit.

He’s gonna stand alone in the 120-125 points range

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Having 3 rosses before turning 23 is more than separating yourself. It doesn't matter by how many pts you win, as long as you win.

Of course it matters if you outscore your opponents by 0.1PPG or by 0.5PPG. That's a huge difference. McDavid is wining, but he isn't winning by big margins. Again, I am not saying that he isn't great, all I say is that he needs to make another step to be really outstanding.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Of course it matters if you outscore your opponents by 0.1PPG or by 0.5PPG. That's a huge difference. McDavid is wining, but he isn't winning by big margins. Again, I am not saying that he isn't great, all I say is that he needs to make another step to be really outstanding.

Do you think he or his fans care if he (hypothetically) reels off 7-8 straight Ross trophies like this?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Have you seen the disaster of a roster he plays with? It makes it even more impressive he has won 2 years in a row beating players on teams with a ton of depth and skill. The fact that they can’t even beat some one in scoring who basically plays on an all team makes me chuckle. That’s how you know mcDavid is a special player. Lol.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
At this point, there’s no way Mcdavid is losing the Art Ross this year. He’s gonna maintain that pace all season long while other players will slow down a little bit.

He’s gonna stand alone in the 120-125 points range

That’s not a particularly big range. Then another dozen players can put up just under 120 and make 120-125 not that special.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
That’s not a particularly big range. Then another dozen players can put up just under 120 and make 120-125 not that special.

My point is not that Mcdavid’s gonna dominate his peers, but he’s gonna be on top by the end of the season. The 120-125 points range is only a prediction of how many points I think he’s gonna score

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Have you seen the disaster of a roster he plays with? It makes it even more impressive he has won 2 years in a row beating players on teams with a ton of depth and skill. The fact that they can’t even beat some one in scoring who basically plays on an all team makes me chuckle. That’s how you know mcDavid is a special player. Lol.

So 16/17 wasn't that special given his team's success?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Wrong once again, no wonder you hate the kid. He’s made your credibility zero.

Great to see the Millennial "hate" card being played. What a shocker.

Any evidence to prove that you are right? That he would produce more on a different team.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
McDavid will likely win it but it'll be very close between him and Kucherov, like within 5-6 points. I think Kucherov has a reasonable chance but my money is on McDavid, for sure.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm still rooting for Crosby to catch up and win. He's pretty far back but has been slowly gaining ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad