Art Ross thread (2018/19)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
McDavid has been a back half player in his only two full NHL seasons. Others slow down. He accelerates.
this

15/16: Pre-clavicle injury: 12 pts in 13 games, post-injury: 36 pts in 32 games
16/17: 46 pts in first 41 games, 54 pts in last 41 games
17/18: 46 pts in first 41 games, 62 pts in his last 41 games

McDavid already has 61 in 39 games... perhaps he picks up the pace to finish the year :naughty: I'm rooting for him to get 130 pts to be the first since Mario to get that much.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Point %'s:

Kucherov: in on 39% of teams goals
Rantanen: in on 44% of teams goals
Mackinnon: in on 43% of teams goals
Gaudreau: in on 40% of teams goals

McDavid: in on 55% of teams goals

One of these is not like the other. As the beauties like to say, AINEC.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Mcdavid is unreal. 61 points on this team less than half way through is mind blowing. Could he get more than Thornton’s 125 which is the highest point total since Lemieux and jagr had 160 and 149 in the same season? I believe that was in 95ish. I don’t know if he will be ever as clutch as Crosby in playoffs but as far as the regular season goes( and for the most part that is where a player earns their place in hockey history) he is going to have a much bigger trophy case

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Point %'s:

The numbers sure don't lie. However, in all fairness, those other players do have to spread the wealth around a lot more, so their % of TG are definitely going to be lighter than McDavid's. I don't think this stat is as impressive overall as his raw offense and skill set when you watch him play.

Reactions: Mbraunm

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Point %'s:

Won’t even be a Hart candidate though because reasons

Reactions: OilCanada92

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Mcdavid is unreal. 61 points on this time less than half way through is mind blowing. Could he get more than Thornton’s 125 which is the highest point total since Lemieux and had 160 and 149 in the same season? I believe that was in 95ish. I don’t know if he will be ever as clutch as Crosby in playoffs but as far as the regular season goes( and for the most part that is where a player earns their reputation) he is going to have a much bigger trophy case

McDavid has time. Crosby wasn't exactly "clutch" in the playoffs until the Pens last two Cup Runs (mostly the last one), when he was approaching 29-30 years of age. However, Sid owned the last Cup for the Pens and was absolutely incredible.

McDavid needs a better team around him.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
McDavid has time. Crosby wasn't exactly "clutch" in the playoffs until the Pens last two Cup Runs (mostly the last one), when he was approaching 29-30 years of age. However, Sid owned the last Cup for the Pens and was absolutely incredible.

100%, I probably worded that incorrectly. He does have time and no doubt if he had some of sids teams he would be successful. My bad

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

Crosby led the playoffs in scoring in 08 and was amazing in 09 as well.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Said it at the start of the season and I've seen nothing to make me change my mind. Even when he was a dozen points behind I said everyone else has had monster games while he's just chugging along consistently. Wait until the 2nd half when he turns it up and it's game over. McDavid is going to win. Best player in the game.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Mcdavid is unreal. 61 points on this team less than half way through is mind blowing. Could he get more than Thornton’s 125 which is the highest point total since Lemieux and jagr had 160 and 149 in the same season? I believe that was in 95ish. I don’t know if he will be ever as clutch as Crosby in playoffs but as far as the regular season goes( and for the most part that is where a player earns their place in hockey history) he is going to have a much bigger trophy case

He’d have to get to 128 points to do that. Jagr had a 127 point season in 98-99. Not much of a difference and he’s one of your examples anyway from that 95-96 example.

Since that 95-96 season, we’ve seen just six 120 point campaigns.

Jagr 127 points (98-99)
Thornton 125 points (05-06)
Jagr 123 points (05-06)
Lemieux 122 points (96-97)
Jagr 121 points (00-01)
Crosby 120 points (06-07)

Would love to see McDavid join the list this season and somehow get to 130 points to top them all.

Reactions: drs151

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Crosby led the playoffs in scoring in 08 and was amazing in 09 as well.

He put up numbers but he wasn't necessarily "clutch" IMO. I mean, those years it was Malkin and players like Talbot scoring the big, timely goals and winning the Art Ross (Malkin). Sid didn't even play in the decisive Game 7 during the first Cup win. That was mainly Talbot and Flower who won that game. Sid was never "bad" in the playoffs (except one series loss to the Flyers I believe) but he wasn't really "clutch" until the last two Cup runs, especially the last. During the 2nd Cup, the Art Ross could have easily when to 4 Pens. The last Cup, Sid was Yzerman-Sakic esque.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
He’d have to get to 128 points to do that. Jagr had a 127 point season in 98-99. Not much of a difference and he’s one of your examples anyway from that 95-96 example.

Since that 95-96 season, we’ve seen just six 120 point campaigns.

Jagr 127 points (98-99)
Thornton 125 points (05-06)
Jagr 123 points (05-06)
Lemieux 122 points (96-97)
Jagr 121 points (00-01)
Crosby 120 points (06-07)

Would love to see McDavid join the list this season and somehow get to 130 points to top them all.

McDavid hitting 125 would be phenomenal. Sid scored 120 the year coming out of the lockout when the NHL was slanted towards boosting offense and calling PP's for the Pens if someone even looked crooked at Sid or Mario. If he hits 130... it would be the best offensive performance since Mario put the NHL through the shredder in 92-93 IMHO.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
Most of the players in the league have to grind for their points. Hard work in the cycle, systematic game to create scoring chances.

McDavid does that as well, but he has the gamebreaking ability to create grade A prime scoring chances out of nothing if given even a little bit of room out there. He creates a goal out of nothing in almost a gamely basis.

Sid is the better grinder, but he never had this kind of ability to the same extent.

Reactions: the mcdavid era

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Most of the players in the league have to grind for their points. Hard work in the cycle, systematic game to create scoring chances.

McDavid does that as well, but he has the gamebreaking ability to create grade A prime scoring chances out of nothing if given even a little bit of room out there. He creates a goal out of nothing in almost a gamely basis.

Sid is the better grinder, but he never had this kind of ability to the same extent.

Sid has a better shot than McDavid. And is a grimier player. But, McDavid has super speed that Sid doesn't and his ability to perform at top gear is the best on the planet since Pavel Bure in the 90s. It takes a special player to do what McDavid does while skating mach 10.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Point %'s:

As usual 90% of HF users don't know the meaning of stats they use. FYI your stat shows which team is better, not who is a better player.

the mcdavid era

Jul 10, 2017

McDavid is the most dynamic player in the game since Lemieux. This will become apparent by the end of this season IMO

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
Point %'s:

Everyone already knows the oilers basically have an AHL team outside of McDavid/Drai

Those other teams just score way more goals.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
As usual 90% of HF users don't know the meaning of stats they use. FYI your stat shows which team is better, not who is a better player.
Obviously McDavid wouldn't have 90 points if he and Kucherov swapped spots but at the same time, Kucherov wouldn't have 60 if he swapped spots with McDavid.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Scoring at the top of the league is out of control this season. 15 guys on pace for 100 points. Obviously they aren't all going to hit that mark, but 1/2 way through the season it's pretty wild.

Going to be a heck of a race though. Health permitting I think any of MacKinnon, Rantanen, Kucherov or McDavid could take it. Heck, could even throw out an honorable mention to Gaudreau. Although 8 points in his past two games is obviously a bit of an anomaly which has probably jumped him up a little higher than he'll end up finishing. The one thing McDavid had going for him over his competitors in the previous two seasons was the ability to not only maintain pace but increase it as the season went on. Someone is going to need to keep it up for the full 82 if they want to take it.

Sundance

You Can Never Get To
Sep 7, 2010
Lillyhammer
If Kucherov hits his pace of 39g/94a 133 points, he'd be only the second player to score 133 points on less than 40 goals (Bobby Orr the only player to do that).

Assists are back.

Reactions: Sk8M8
Mar 14, 2011
Point %'s:

Not a fair comparison considering Tampa has incredible depth scoring while more than half of the Oilers forwards would get shutdown daily by the abysmal Sens defence and goaltending. Kuch would have to pace like 170 points to match McDavid's numbers with the Oilers, which is just ridiculous.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Not a fair comparison considering Tampa has incredible depth scoring while more than half of the Oilers forwards would get shutdown daily by the abysmal Sens defence and goaltending. Kuch would have to pace like 170 points to match McDavid's numbers with the Oilers, which is just ridiculous.
Yeah exactly. If you look at Colorado, even having another superstar on your line, still isn't good enough if the rest of the team isn't doing well. A teams success affects players big time. McDavid would push 150 on Tampa.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
While McDavid most likely will end up with the Art Ross, one can not overlook the fact that he cannot really separate himself from the bunch that much. Don't get me wrong, he's an fantastic player but until he has a season where he clearly stands out from his peers he can't be cosnidered an absolute all time elite scorer in the likes of Gretzk, Lemieux or even Jagr. He Needs a real dominat season where his ppg is significantly higher than the´one of all o his competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad