Around the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Last posts:

Well Boston has impressively mismanaged their goalie situation.

Yes and no. If they wanted to bring other guys in they had no choice but to go ahead and trade Ullmark. It may have cost them some negotiating leverage, but as time goes by the leverage Swayman has gets less and less. As much as the team might like to have him in net they also know he isn't going to give up this season. It would take one heck of an overpay to make up for a year of lost earnings.

I suspect you will see Boston make an offer they are happy with, and they won't come off of it all the way until December 1. At that point Swayman either signs it or loses whatever he would have gained by getting a larger contract.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I dunno, they saved what, $2M by moving Ullmark? (His $5M hit, but replacing it with Korpisalo at $3M). That's not a lot of Cap saved. I mean, they're paying Andrew Peake $2.75M, went out and signed Zadorov and Lindholm, etc... it just seems to me that there might have been better ways to try to shave away a mere $2M.

I could see if they were going to be so stuck on the Cap that they needed to clear a full $5M and if giving up their insurance in goal was the only way to do it... but in the end, it seems like maybe they were more "accommodating Ullmark's wishes" rather than really solving their own problems in an ideal fashion? It's nice of them to give Ullmark a place to go and be a starting goalie. But I'm surprised they were that generous. :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I dunno, they saved what, $2M by moving Ullmark? (His $5M hit, but replacing it with Korpisalo at $3M). That's not a lot of Cap saved. I mean, they're paying Andrew Peake $2.75M, went out and signed Zadorov and Lindholm, etc... it just seems to me that there might have been better ways to try to shave away a mere $2M.

I could see if they were going to be so stuck on the Cap that they needed to clear a full $5M and if giving up their insurance in goal was the only way to do it... but in the end, it seems like maybe they were more "accommodating Ullmark's wishes" rather than really solving their own problems in an ideal fashion? It's nice of them to give Ullmark a place to go and be a starting goalie. But I'm surprised they were that generous. :dunno:
Yeah but they also got a back up goalie in that too. I mean even a guy like Lankinen is going to be about 2 million, so they saved pretty much what they could. Whether it was alot of savings or not it was enough to fit in what they needed too. Someone isn't getting signed without it.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah but they also got a back up goalie in that too. I mean even a guy like Lankinen is going to be about 2 million, so they saved pretty much what they could. Whether it was alot of savings or not it was enough to fit in what they needed too. Someone isn't getting signed without it.
My impression had been that folks in Boston were pretty satisfied with Bussi's readiness for the backup job, and that they were more "forced" to take Korpisalo back to make the deal work for Ottawa, though, so they didn't necessarily have any big costs otherwise to fill the backup goalie job. :dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
My impression had been that folks in Boston were pretty satisfied with Bussi's readiness for the backup job, and that they were more "forced" to take Korpisalo back to make the deal work for Ottawa, though, so they didn't necessarily have any big costs otherwise to fill the backup goalie job. :dunno:
Yeh Bussi is 26. It is time for him to move into the NHL if he is ever going to do it.

It isnt like Korpisalo has been decent either. He was actively costing Ottawa games last season. Now theyre attached to him for 3 seasons unless they buy him out.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Another factor for us in getting Askarov traded away. Since we have to keep Saros no matter what, we were likely going to lose Askarov in Expansion even if he had been willing to stay here (and had panned out as an NHL player).
This is true. Though maybe if we couldve gotten him more NHL time it might if boosted his value. Then again knowing he had to be traded might of reduced it. Also, i think we got a pretty strong return anyways.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad