Around the NHL - Part 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I get the Devils wanting consistency in net...but is Markstrom that? Trading your only LD with size, who is developing very well and likely a top 4 for next 10 years, plus a first for a 34 year tender coming off a couple meh seasons doesn't make sense to me.
Markstrom+Allen for a year while Daws & Schmid develop makes a lot of sense to me. Markstrom's meh seasons were on a meh team and on last year's meh team he was top 10 in league in gsaa. He is a legit #1 for a team that lacked a legit #1 and was otherwise a playoff team. Bahl hurts but most see him as bottom pairing guy. The first overall will be 20+. They needed a real goalie more than they needed the things they gave up.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I get the Devils wanting consistency in net...but is Markstrom that? Trading your only LD with size, who is developing very well and likely a top 4 for next 10 years, plus a first for a 34 year tender coming off a couple meh seasons doesn't make sense to me.
Stats sure look pretty consistent, except one bad year.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
A quick survey of scouts tout Bahl as a big, tough, solid No. 4 or 5 shutdown defenceman who is not going to wow anyone with his offence.

This is from an article in Calgary. I have always stated that the loss of Bahl was something easy to replace.

He's a bottom 3 line pairing on a good team.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
A quick survey of scouts tout Bahl as a big, tough, solid No. 4 or 5 shutdown defenceman who is not going to wow anyone with his offence.

This is from an article in Calgary. I have always stated that the loss of Bahl was something easy to replace.

He's a bottom 3 line pairing on a good team.
It would be all up to Tourigny if it ever happens as he was his coach and have a better understanding of Bahl's capabilities. Rather try to sign Zadorov in FA.

Rasmus Andersson on the otherhand, rather not give up on Crouse, and I've kept saying (at least to myself) that trading down and still picking Yakemchuk is a good move, asset wise. Maybe Calgary be tempted if Tij is there.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
If Toronto gives both term and dollars to Tanev, it will really underscore that Brad Treliving learned nothing from his failures in Calgary.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
If Toronto gives both term and dollars to Tanev, it will really underscore that Brad Treliving learned nothing from his failures in Calgary.
Yep. He learned nothing. 6 year deal and he is 34 now. With as much a beating Tanev takes, I will be impressed if he makes it 3 more. Treliving makes me all the more glad for BA.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Chychryn to Washington for nick jensen and a 2026 3rd.
Ottawa for the biggest L of the off season.

UHC received a 1st (Daniil But), a 2nd (John Marino deal Mikhail Yegorov selected by NJ) and still have a 2nd to spend in 2026, while Ottawa turns that asset into a 33 year old meh defenseman and a 3rd....a 3rd. Brutal.

Ottawa always made the Coyotes look good and still do.

Caps are doing a good job of keeping the dream alive.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Ottawa for the biggest L of the off season.

UHC received a 1st (Daniil But), a 2nd (John Marino deal Mikhail Yegorov selected by NJ) and still have a 2nd to spend in 2026, while Ottawa turns that asset into a 33 year old meh defenseman and a 3rd....a 3rd. Brutal.

Ottawa always made the Coyotes look good and still do.

Caps are doing a good job of keeping the dream alive.
The summer of Dorion it was.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I always thought AZ fans overrated Chychrun quite a bit, but that returns sucks!

Edit: Maybe overrated isn't the best way to put it, I just wasn't as high on him or as big a fan as most seemed to be. He disappointed me more than anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandit34

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Fine, I'll take their best player and his full salary. Happy now?

Most everyone on their roster is getting bank. No ELC guys of significance. Parker Kelly is league minimum but otherwise only Wood, & Drouin are budget type players. Rantanen UFA in 25-26. They're going to have to make a hard decision there, If Nichushkin & Landeskog come back they are really up against it.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Rumour has no offer high enough will play the year for Canes.. Chch part 2. I feel bad for the player and team

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Other Armstrong goes all on on the rarely used Offer Sheet. No idea why more GMs don't use this route?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad