Around the NHL 2024/25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Ya, I think my thoughts are more in the line of, will a player who is worth over 10M ever sign in Winnipeg.
Glad I read your post before I posted the exact same thing.

Countdown to McDavid signing for a $14,000,001 annual salary.

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
That Drysaddle contract is going to stink in year 7 and 8

Just like the onions that were left in the last thread .......

1688215643838-gif.724559

Reactions: RabidOne

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Oil didn't really have much of a choice except to back up the Brinks truck. Their "window" is now

That Nurse contract is really f***ing them though.. it'll be nearly impossible to build a team around Drai and McJesus once his extension is signed too (should he choose to extend)

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I wish the Jets could have a top 5 player in the league that we could complain about “overpaying”
Let’s see how this goes for the Oilers long term.
I can’t see tying up 4 guys **with high cap hits being beneficial long term.
** McDavid’s is going to be a doozy when it comes.
As for the Jets we weren’t gifted high draft picks for sucking long term or getting a lottery win.
I can’t see this organization handcuffing itself with two or three high cap hits knowing they have to ice a semi competitive roster.
One thing Edmonton has that we don’t is a larger more loyal fan base that supports them even in lean times

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The Pens were able to break through a 2nd time after years of things going stale post-Crosby/Malkin ELC

Edmonton doesn't feel like their window is shutting, it feels like they could still compete.

I'm not sure Stan Bowman was the right GM to find a balance between moneyball and team culture/toughness. If he does find the right type of supporting cast, Oil have a huge head start even with Drai and McDavid making 30 mil combined...

Reactions: ps241

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The Pens were able to break through a 2nd time after years of things going stale post-Crosby/Malkin ELC

Edmonton doesn't feel like their window is shutting, it feels like they could still compete.

I'm not sure Stan Bowman was the right GM to find a balance between moneyball and team culture/toughness. If he does find the right type of supporting cast, Oil have a huge head start even with Drai and McDavid making 30 mil combined...

Edmonton has a lot of deals coming up when McDavid's new deal would kick in. They've got some guys on likely under market value deals for that period as well. I think when you have two of the best players in the league long term, you take that problem and run.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Let’s see how this goes for the Oilers long term.
I can’t see tying up 4 guys **with high cap hits being beneficial long term.
** McDavid’s is going to be a doozy when it comes.
As for the Jets we weren’t gifted high draft picks for sucking long term or getting a lottery win.
I can’t see this organization handcuffing itself with two or three high cap hits knowing they have to ice a semi competitive roster.
One thing Edmonton has that we don’t is a larger more loyal fan base that supports them even in lean times
McDrai isn't the same thing as those expensive Leafs. McDrai show up in the playoffs at an elite level. Look at what they do to guys like Maroon and Hyman. They elevate the players around them.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Edmonton has a lot of deals coming up when McDavid's new deal would kick in. They've got some guys on likely under market value deals for that period as well. I think when you have two of the best players in the league long term, you take that problem and run.
If it were up some on HFJETS it'd be trade out of your elite or V good players that keep you competitive for years, for some overhyped prospects and other junk.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I don't think they really care about year 7 and 8.

Eh, they'll just try to tank then to get 2OA.

It would have been for 1OA, but I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to pick that high anymore :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad