Around the NHL 2020-21

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well it's going to be interesting to watch the teams that are trying to make cap room. It makes me wonder if this is quite the right time to go cheap and plug our holes all with kids, though. I mean, if there are going to be many opportunities to acquire or sign pretty good players cheaper than usual... that's gotta be tempting for a GM with some openings... :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Key is going to be how much cheaper, and question remains will it feel that cheap if things don't get better for a while.

I think part of going younger is the money, but I think another is Poile's frustration with free agents and " Vets ". In future years people will look at the roster and wonder how the heck it failed, Poile is dealing with it live.

I've got to wonder if he hasn't seen what some around here have, a lack of drive and at this point if he is going to lose it may as well be with some guys that have a hunger to play, even if they aren't as good.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Browsing the headlines....

McDavid with Covid-19. Hope it doesn't have any lingering effects, the NHL needs its star power.

Next season opening target shifted to Jan.1. It will seem like a looooong off-season once we get through these next few exciting days of the draft and the free agent frenzy. :(

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Anderson is a rare breed in the modern NHL, but... as much as I've argued that he'd draw a surprisingly high return, I guess I never thought it would be THAT high. And the few times I saw Montreal in the playoffs, it sure seemed like Domi wasn't really part of the plans or in the picture for them. He was practically getting Turris'ed for them. But contrast that to the previous season he had... well... I thought he'd still hold higher value too.

Interesting. Busy few days coming up to be sure. Might as well enjoy all these fireworks while we can before we settle in for the long cold wait for January 1st.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That Domi trade to Columbus...... tf is Bergevin thinking?
57861a53b321b84c01ade79c0ef16f40.gif

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I was talking about Dillon at 4x$4M some months ago. So 4x$3.9M seems a bit of a bargain. Granted, he has limitations for real as an NHL D. Just I thought his special brand of physicality was something that would really fit our needs well enough that it would be worth the premium.

So anyway... the music keeps playing. I still suspect Poile is just going to sit it all out, and I don't exactly blame him. But it's not as much fun for the armchair GM.
:GWC:

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I was talking about Dillon at 4x$4M some months ago. So 4x$3.9M seems a bit of a bargain. Granted, he has limitations for real as an NHL D. Just I thought his special brand of physicality was something that would really fit our needs well enough that it would be worth the premium.

So anyway... the music keeps playing. I still suspect Poile is just going to sit it all out, and I don't exactly blame him. But it's not as much fun for the armchair GM.
:GWC:

I think that's a bit of an overpayment but 1) they had to do it 2) they could afford to do it since Kempny went down.

I still believe there's a more cost-controlled depth option for us out there.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
People are talking about Stamkos being available from Tampa. Too pricey or should we entertain getting him?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
People are talking about Stamkos being available from Tampa. Too pricey or should we entertain getting him?

Feels like he's had a lot of major injuries lately. I'd say off it and just go for it, he's one of the most talented players in the league, if he's available at least try for him. On the other hand it'll probably cost a lot.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Eh, I'd give up like Jarnkrok for him. If the Lightning are desperate enough for the cap space, they can accommodate. If they want a huge haul for him... never mind.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
No way is Poile going to go out and acquire a legit top-6 forward when the ED is looming next year. As of now, he's gonna go 4-4 and getting a another player to protect would screw up that plan. You'd essentially be trading Ekholm + whatever you were trading right now for the new guy.

That's why I've advocated to getting a cheaper option, a reclamation project for example. Someone you don't really have to worry when the expansion draft rolls around.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
No way is Poile going to go out and acquire a legit top-6 forward when the ED is looming next year. As of now, he's gonna go 4-4 and getting a another player to protect would screw up that plan. You'd essentially be trading Ekholm + whatever you were trading right now for the new guy.

That's why I've advocated to getting a cheaper option, a reclamation project for example. Someone you don't really have to worry when the expansion draft rolls around.
This, but... caveated by the observation that if Duchene or Johansen had a season as bad as last one... exposing them and getting out of those contracts would not necessarily be the end of the world...

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

For a player like Stamkos I'd probably offer to drive Johansen or Duchene out to Seattle myself.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Some interesting moves in Columbus lately. Anderson for Domi trade, Wennberg buyout, and now they basically give away Murray and Nutivara. I wish we had the kind of depth on D to just dump away players of that caliber on D.

I don't think we could quite afford to pick them up on their current deals, mind you. Well, not and hope to do anything much else. So I'm not saying we should have been in on them. But it's still interesting to see how the market is playing out there.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Some interesting moves in Columbus lately. Anderson for Domi trade, Wennberg buyout, and now they basically give away Murray and Nutivara. I wish we had the kind of depth on D to just dump away players of that caliber on D.

I don't think we could quite afford to pick them up on their current deals, mind you. Well, not and hope to do anything much else. So I'm not saying we should have been in on them. But it's still interesting to see how the market is playing out there.

Portzline said they're going for Hall, might also be why they're clearing so much salary.

Reactions: Scoresberg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad