Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
color me shocked that vincent got fired :sarcasm:. he did nothing to aid that team. Laine at C just lol. probably hampered the relationships with Johnson, Fantilli and Jiricek, exactly what you want to do with 3 top-5 picks for a team in the midst of a rebuild & trying to find their cornerstone piece/young star :rolleyes:

guy was awful and f***ing hilarious that people on here fought tooth and nail to have him coach the Jets just b/c he was some old guy that never had an NHL HC position.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP and sipowicz

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Do you think the tax and its Florida has a big impact why they are able to sign all these players?

Only 3 current Panthers players were drafted by the team (Barkov, Lundell, Ekblad).
Here's how some of the other notable contributors were acquired:
- Sergei Bobrovsky: massive UFA signing
- Matthew Tkachuk: blockbuster trade
- Sam Reinhart: acquired for a 1st + Levi
- Vladimir Tarasenko: acquired for 3rd/4th round picks
- Brandon Montour: acquired for 3rd round pick
- Sam Bennett: acquired for 2nd round pick
- Carter Verhaeghe: signed cheap, casted off by TBL
- Gustav Forsling: acquired off waivers
- OEL: cheap signing after VAN buyout
- ERod/Cousins/Miikola/Lomberg: cheap UFA signings
Cats' GM Bill Zito deserves a boatload of credit for the roster he's built through unconventional methods.

More 🏒 News at > www.hookedonhockey.com

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Do you think the tax and its Florida has a big impact why they are able to sign all these players?

Only 3 current Panthers players were drafted by the team (Barkov, Lundell, Ekblad).
Cats' GM Bill Zito deserves a boatload of credit for the roster he's built through unconventional methods.

There was a thread in the main board a few weeks back about the state taxes for each team. I wanna say, that once you include agents, fees, playing out of state, etc. it all comes out about the same anyways.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

So anyways, back to hockey where our programs suck lol

Sorry for the diversion, there were just a few legendary schools for Comp Sci I had hoped in my youth I might get to go to someday, wanted to see how they were holding up all these years and since I had a hunch you'd have something objective, well... there you go.

(FWIW they were UC Berkeley, MIT, Stanford. All still top 10 schools on your list :thumbu:)

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
There was a thread in the main board a few weeks back about the state taxes for each team. I wanna say, that once you include agents, fees, playing out of state, etc. it all comes out about the same anyways.
Taxes is why players often want a large chunk of the money upfront which only gets taxed in that state. I imagine agents rates are pretty universal.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Taxes help but I think a big factor with the Bobrovsky and Tkachuk deals was being in South Florida.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Except you get to live in Miami and not Winnipeg. I mean as a young single man or even with a GF/Wife it has to be enticing to live there. Lots of night life and attractive women(men can't discriminate for our gay friends on the boards!). I have to admit as much as I would love to play in Winnipeg in front of your home fans the idea of playing in Miami at 25 would be hard to say no to

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Except you get to live in Miami and not Winnipeg. I mean as a young single man or even with a GF/Wife it has to be enticing to live there. Lots of night life and attractive women(men can't discriminate for our gay friends on the boards!). I have to admit as much as I would love to play in Winnipeg in front of your home fans the idea of playing in Miami at 25 would be hard to say no to

Winnipeg would be pretty much 32 out of 32 on my list and it has nothing to do with the weather. But yeah, while Zito has done very well in Florida, two of his largest pieces got the Miami bump for sure.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
yeah if I were a young guy on the cusp of getting signed somewhere in the NHL, Winnipeg would definitely be on my "I hope it's not..." list.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Winnipeg would be pretty much 32 out of 32 on my list and it has nothing to do with the weather. But yeah, while Zito has done very well in Florida, two of his largest pieces got the Miami bump for sure.
I mean there are plenty of other bad cities like Minnesota or buffalo. No one is ever like I’m going to Minnesota to party.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Nothing about partying at all either. Buffalo also struggles to attract FAs and Minnesota has a strong hockey history that attracts people from that area.
But, then shouldn’t Winnipeg also have a strong hockey history?
Guess it’s not enough considering wpg’s small town vibe, lack of anonymity and weather.
Also, I wonder if Minnesota has a hard time attracting fa from outside the area.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Andrew Copp didn't think much of our roads...and he's not wrong. I probably yell out 1 or 2 profanities every time I'm driving somewhere as I crash through unavoidable potholes on major streets.

When I was in Atlanta, people were saying to watch out because roads are terrible... lol I'm from Winnipeg, son!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
There's also the thing that young people go though where they want to be away from home. It's more pronounced in the states where most teenagers go away for college

So it might not be as much that players hate Manitoba becaue it sucks, and more jaut want to play elsewhere because Manitoba is "home"

I went through it in my 20s and ended up back here to raise a family later in life

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Miami, well its really Fort Lauderdale which might be better is a phenomenal location for anyone to play in but we have to remember the organization was dog shit forever so it can only take you so far. They have the wind at their back but the GM still has to be a star.

Reactions: roccerfeller

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
But, then shouldn’t Winnipeg also have a strong hockey history?
Guess it’s not enough considering wpg’s small town vibe, lack of anonymity and weather.
Also, I wonder if Minnesota has a hard time attracting fa from outside the area.

Minnesota has a high school hockey tournament that's known across the continent and multiple NCAA teams. I'm not sure the OCN Blizzard and UofM Bisons really compete with that. We had the Jets and they were gone for pretty much the whole life of today's NHL player.

There's also the thing that young people go though where they want to be away from home. It's more pronounced in the states where most teenagers go away for college

So it might not be as much that players hate Manitoba becaue it sucks, and more jaut want to play elsewhere because Manitoba is "home"

I went through it in my 20s and ended up back here to raise a family later in life

For me, Winnipeg would be the last place I'd want to play because there would be fans that bother my family and friends if I had a bad stretch. Winnipeg isn't big enough for them to go incognito. Imagine if Connor Hellebuyck was from Winnipeg and you're Chuck after that playoff performance.

Miami, well its really Fort Lauderdale which might be better is a phenomenal location for anyone to play in but we have to remember the organization was dog shit forever so it can only take you so far. They have the wind at their back but the GM still has to be a star.

I think you definitely need someone talented at the helm even if you're in a desirable market. Zito has done really well and took on some reclamation projects that worked out. However, I think the advantage those places have is that when you're on the cusp of being a team that can contend, rounding out your roster or getting that big missing piece is a lot easier than other places.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think you definitely need someone talented at the helm even if you're in a desirable market. Zito has done really well and took on some reclamation projects that worked out. However, I think the advantage those places have is that when you're on the cusp of being a team that can contend, rounding out your roster or getting that big missing piece is a lot easier than other places.
Yup.. Anaheim, San Jose and Arizona are all at least somewhat desirable locations and they've sucked for the most part recently. Geography might make a GM's job a little easier, but it doesn't guarantee success

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Andrew Copp didn't think much of our roads...and he's not wrong. I probably yell out 1 or 2 profanities every time I'm driving somewhere as I crash through unavoidable potholes on major streets.

When I was in Atlanta, people were saying to watch out because roads are terrible... lol I'm from Winnipeg, son!
It's been several years but both Atlanta and Los Angeles had roads that are worse or as equally bad as Winnipeg's.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It's been several years but both Atlanta and Los Angeles had roads that are worse or as equally bad as Winnipeg's.
I think it's the widespread nature of Winnipeg's road decrepitude that makes it worse. A lot of major routes have absolute axle-busters. And there are a few streets that are just unbelievably bad, even by Winnipeg's low standards.

In Atlanta, the bad stuff on the streets seemed to be more self-inflicted - bad patch jobs or poorly aligned sewers on an otherwise okay street. Yeah, we've got that too, plus all the streets that are approaching or at the point of failure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad