Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I was reading the game thread. Sounds like they’re loving him so far. Him and kastelic have stood out in the games they played.
I’ll be intrigued to follow Kastelic’s progress this year. Really believe the guy has the physical tools to be a good 4th liner, but was very disappointed in how passive he was last year. Played like a guy on a retirement contract. Will the switch to an organization where you’re actually expected to play hard make a difference?

Reactions: Icelevel

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I’ll be intrigued to follow Kastelic’s progress this year. Really believe the guy has the physical tools to be a good 4th liner, but was very disappointed in how passive he was last year. Played like a guy on a retirement contract. Will the switch to an organization where you’re actually expected to play hard make a difference?
I think so. The competition for spots is pretty serious over there. He’ll have to keep it up if he wants to stay in the lineup.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The toilet seats will look like fools for drafting Rickenbacher ahead of Michkov
Everyone not named Chicago will, he’s unbelievable.

Was a baffling drop, but his situation with Russia/his Dad was Scary

Habs went the right direction this year with Demidov though, I think he’s going to be phenomenal as well.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Looked to me like Laine had rediscovered the joy of having a puck on his stick and hearing the roar of the crowd - he was playing hockey like he was a kid again and it was nice to watch. But he isn’t a kid again, he’s in a league with players who play for keeps and don’t care about your mental state, Laine wanted to play hockey like he was 16 again, he forgot he was in a league with absolute killers and we see the results. Sad but Laine was never going to be Mario Lemieux with the puck going across the blue line, but it was nice to see the magic and joy for a couple of pre-season games.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I was reading the game thread. Sounds like they’re loving him so far. Him and kastelic have stood out in the games they played.

Yup apparently the team didn’t play well in front of him and he got them to OT. But a L is a L

Also…korpi’s new mask looks amazing. Might be one of my all time favorites. Will have to study it more.
Being able to see the puck helps in stopping it I guess.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Being able to see the puck helps in stopping it I guess.
I'll believe it when I see it for an extended period. When he was signed it was all about the hip surgeries supposedly fixed him and he came out with another season typical of the majority of his career prior to.

Just glad he's not our problem anymore and that our GM didn't put our seasons hopes on eye surgery and a new mask for a career backup.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
The toilet seats will look like fools for drafting Rickenbacher ahead of Michkov
Good popcorn though.

640px-Orville_Redenbacher_1979.jpg

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
He landed a solid hair pull.

None of those looked like solid shots to me.

Cuts don’t mean much, they can happen with a finger nail.
He landed some punches to the head. Anyhow, not big deal and not a hill I’m prepared to die on. I’m not a Montreal or Slaf fan. Moving on.

Matvei Michkov is going to win the Calder.
I’ve watched chunks of a couple Flyer’s games. He looks good.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It's all part of a contact game.

If you want to go with PWHL rules, I'm not going to say you're right or you're wrong.

The people who are misguided are the fence sitters, who want to have their cake and eat it too when it comes to supporting violence in the league with their dollars, but also deriding it when it crosses some sort of imaginary line that has never been there and is in no way enforceable.

I just don't like the fence sitters who like to pick and choose what flagrant violence is allowable in their bloodsport. Stop watching the NHL until they take contact and fighting out of the game. If you watch it, you're supporting that kind of brutality that we saw last night (in both instances).

You could argue that the NHL doesn't condone it, but they really do condone it. There are very few actual punishments that matter. Even suspensions and fines don't matter because the amount of money most players lose is negligible in the grand scheme of things. If the league and PA were serious about getting this kind of stuff out of the game, we would see suspensions like the one Pinto got for the gambling fiasco, where the player is "sufficiently hurt" in order to dissuade them or other players from ever doing it again. Do you think we would see another knee-on-knee, or a player get jumped from behind, if the penalty is 50 percent of their salary and missing half of a season?

Ultimately, whatever that guys name is should have dropped the gloves with the guy whose name I won't try to spell. Those are the norms of the game, for better or worse. At the same time, the league has to pretend that the sport isn't violent, so the guy whose name I won't try to spell should get a suspension, or be forced to do some sort of community service, like be a volunteer mod on the HF Trade board.

The Pinto suspension was an example of the league and PA being serious about something because it directly could conflict with their profits. The stuff about getting violence out of the game is mostly window dressing.

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad