Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m confused … are you arguing there is an equal distribution of UFA/trade talent amongst all teams ? His NTC list is probably focused on teams that he wouldn’t be able to put up decent points ahead of a UFA contract year.

I’m sure Huberdeau can survive for one year in Calgary before he goes where ever he wants.
Anytime something goes against your narrative you pull out an excuse.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Ok ok ok...

Calgary now needs to find a shit ton of money for Huberdeau and Weegar. They need to lock them up ASAP to save face around the league after having guys want to jump ship.

I wonder if Tanev or Andersson are now available?

They have 11.5 million coming off the books before a hypothetical new deal for Huberdeau or Weegar would kick in with the Monahan and Lucic contracts both expiring next summer

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Ok ok ok...

Calgary now needs to find a shit ton of money for Huberdeau and Weegar. They need to lock them up ASAP to save face around the league after having guys want to jump ship.

I wonder if Tanev or Andersson are now available?
I highly doubt it. Calgary is very high on Tanev and Andersson, as they should be. They are both very good defenders. I wouldn’t be surprised if Weegar does not last more than a year in Calgary.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That Tkachuk trade is almost shocking. Huberdeau is quite underrated but is older and was UFA at the end of the season. I wonder if the Flames can afford to trade a D-man now that they got Weegar

1. Yes cap space accrues during the season if teams have cap. Most contenders will have virtually no cap space by the start of the season so they won’t be accruing much if any. Look at last years deadline, almost every trade required retention.

2. Eugene is dead. Our budget this year has been reported at either 74M or as high as 76M. Most say 74M

1. It's true that some teams have been literally "scrapping the bottom of the barrel" for cap space. You have to be really tight to not have space at the deadline but yet, several teams are in that situation, and not only contenders

2. Yes but we were supposed to start the FYOUS last season, yet we were nowhere near spending to the cap and it looks similar this year. I have a hard time envisioning a team becoming a perennial contender (has to be our goal after a scorched-earth rebuild) if they are not spending to the cap and beyond. Not in the current NHL parity.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That Tkachuk trade is almost shocking. Huberdeau is quite underrated but is older and was UFA at the end of the season. I wonder if the Flames can afford to trade a D-man now that they got Weegar

1. It's true that some teams have been literally "scrapping the bottom of the barrel" for cap space. You have to be really tight to not have space at the deadline but yet, several teams are in that situation, and not only contenders

2. Yes but we were supposed to start the FYOUS last season, yet we were nowhere near spending to the cap and it looks similar this year. I have a hard time envisioning a team becoming a perennial contender (has to be our goal after a scorched-earth rebuild) if they are not spending to the cap and beyond. Not in the current NHL parity.
I’m not debating the merits of having a fiscal ceiling below the cap, I am just saying every hockey move made needs to be viewed through that lens as well.

Reactions: Xspyrit

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I hope we can try to pry someone like Tanev off the Flames. If the Flames extend Weegar, he might be seen as a younger replacement who is less injury prone but someone like Tanev is literally perfect for us

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Anytime something goes against your narrative you pull out an excuse.

Excuse ? Most people would call it an explanation.

These trends are well documented in the NHL and all major North American sports, and most sports in general.

Google some up or don’t.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Isn’t Calgary also going to be up against the cap once they sign Mangiapane (35 goal scorer so think $7M+, and Kylingtion) prob easily combines for $9M between the two of them. Current cap space is $9.3M after yesterday’s acquisition.

They also have Monahan listed on IR for $6.375M with one year remaining, so not sure what’s happening there.

Definitely think a deal is there to be had if we’re willing to eat the last year of monahan (while sending 2 years of Zaitsev). Just not sure if it’s Tanev or Weeger

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Isn’t Calgary also going to be up against the cap once they sign Mangiapane (35 goal scorer so think $7M+, and Kylingtion) prob easily combines for $9M between the two of them. Current cap space is $9.3M after yesterday’s acquisition.

They also have Monahan listed on IR for $6.375M with one year remaining, so not sure what’s happening there.

Definitely think a deal is there to be had if we’re willing to eat the last year of monahan (while sending 2 years of Zaitsev). Just not sure if it’s Tanev or Weeger
Why would we do that? Monahan can barely play in the league at this point

Reactions: SensFactor

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why would we do that? Monahan can barely play in the league at this point
Because Tanev and Weegar are good players? Idk, I'd rather not eat Monahan's last year even if it dumps Zaitsev and gets us Tanev/Weegar, I don't think we can fit Monahan and one of them in our budget anyways, but the goal is to get the D man, Monahan is just a cap dump to help facilitate it.

Reactions: SensHulk

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Because Tanev and Weegar are good players? Idk, I'd rather not eat Monahan's last year even if it dumps Zaitsev and gets us Tanev/Weegar, I don't think we can fit Monahan and one of them in our budget anyways, but the goal is to get the D man, Monahan is just a cap dump to help facilitate it.
I think this board has gone over the edge in what it's prepared to do to get rid of Zaitsev. He's a little overpaid. He's an NHL player. I don't think he's a 22 minute a night guy, but he'll be fine playing 17 or 18 and killing penalties

Reactions: trentmccleary

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I think this board has gone over the edge in what it's prepared to do to get rid of Zaitsev. He's a little overpaid. He's an NHL player. I don't think he's a 22 minute a night guy, but he'll be fine playing 17 or 18 and killing penalties
We have cap space, how else do you weoponize cap space if you’re not willing to take on a bad contract attached to an asset you need? In this case, it’s low risk with one year, helps to get rid of another problem in Zaitsev and you can gain extra flexibility with Calgary eating some of Monahan’s cap hit. Like @Micklebot accurately said, you do this so you can get an established top 4 dman that you sorely need. We don’t have to worry about being at the cap this year and by next year you gain a good chunk of cap space back for re-signing Stutzle and Debrincat

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
- no there isn’t more cap space available league wide at the deadline as opposed to the start of the FA period, especially on good teams.
4) And you talk about a "lack of understanding" :laugh:

A team’s cap hit is calculated based on each day of the season (186 days). For every day a player is on the roster, the team’s cap hit is their full year cap hit divided by 186. Once a player is on the roster, the calculations assume they will be on the roster for the remainder of year. Example: If a player with a $925K cap hit gets called up 86 days into the season (100 days remaining), on that day the team’s projected cap hit for the year goes up $497,312 ($925K/186)*100.

Sigh.
The 2nd poster has a better understanding of the cap than the poster he replied to based on the words that were posted by the 1st poster. Not surprising.

Reactions: Xspyrit and Loach

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The 2nd poster has a better understanding of the cap than the poster he replied to based on the words that were posted by the 1st poster. Not surprising.
Not at all. Cap space does accrue during the year IF you have cap space. At the draft until the start of FA many teams have far less than 20 players signed, have parted ways with expired contracts and have their maximum cap space. As rosters are built that space dries up and many teams wind up with very little wiggle room. There are already 9 teams who must make moves to get back into compliance as well as 3 more teams within a million of the upper limit. Lots of FAs still to sign.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well I think the real goal was to acquire Tanev or Weegar, which if done makes Zaitsev extremely overpaid if his role in the team is going to be 7th D.

Zaitsev was included to balance things a bit because of how bad Monahan is. I personally think the play to male is to get a guy like Tanev without needing to include Monahan, if we need to add a bit more so be it, we can dump Zaitsev in a seperate move.

Simply put, we can't afford to waste money (not cap but actual dollars) on Monahan. If he's LTIRetired that's a different beast though and could work, but I don't think that's the case here.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not at all. Cap space does accrue during the year IF you have cap space. At the draft until the start of FA many teams have far less than 20 players signed, have parted ways with expired contracts and have their maximum cap space. As rosters are built that space dries up and many teams wind up with very little wiggle room. There are already 9 teams who must make moves to get back into compliance as well as 3 more teams within a million of the upper limit. Lots of FAs still to sign.

Ok but you're arguing against maths here. There's 186 days in a season and the cap is pro rated on days of work. The closer you get to the deadline, the highest AAV you'll be able to afford.

Of course, a team who has $91,292 in cap space (like the Leafs last season) won't be able to afford a highly paid player at the deadline but teams used to have a bit of wiggle room for this but the problem is that more and more teams are completely up against the cap. There's a lot of factors in this, like LTIR as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad