Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
That Bjorkstrand trade is wild, he’s a top 6 forward and Seattle got him for a 3rd and a 4th next year

Remember when we traded a 3rd for Travis Hamonic lol

Completely different market so far this year.

And in my opinion Hamonic will live up to and exceed the value of that 3rd round pick. He will help stabilize our pairings.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I thought Bill Zito was establishing himself as one of the best GMs in the league up until this year.

Then he trades Tippett, Heinenman and two 1sts for two rentals in Giroux and Chariot, who he fails to re-sign, he replaces Brunette with Maurice, and now he just made his team way worse now and in the future.

Panthers don't look like elite contenders anymore, their pool is barren and they now don't have a 1st round pick until 2026.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Am I alone in thinking the Panthers just did major damage to their franchise?

My ONLY guess is contract talks with Huberdeau and Weegar were going nowhere, so they traded 1 year of each guy for 8 years of Tkachuk.

I'm STUNNED they included a 1st round pick though.

Huberdeau didn't have a great playoffs, so this could be Florida way overreacting to that and trying to get tougher.

But still. This is madness. They traded away another 1st! They don't pick in the 1st round for like 3 straight years. I get that they are going for it, but I feel like they are doing it wrong

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Huberdeau and Weegar have one year left on their deals.

Florida got security and they definitely paid for it.
I get the cap implications but Florida got much worse for next season.

It is a horrible trade for them. M. Tkachuk is a big time playoff underachiever but he does help you get to the playoffs so he's still a useful player.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
In theory, this trade looks awful now for Florida and genius for Calgary, but if Calgary cant' get either guy signed and they walk to UFA next summer, it will be an enormous fail

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I am dumbfounded at how bad that trade is….

That is the most valuable on paper trade I think we’ve seen in a very long time.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Am I alone in thinking the Panthers just did major damage to their franchise?

They just replaced a 29 year old core piece with a 24 year old core piece. They would have either had to commit long term to Huberdeau or try to replace him in free agency.

This sets them up better long term. I'm more interested in how they're replacing Weegar.

Assen na yo!

Reactions: Senscore

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I get the cap implications but Florida got much worse for next season.

It is a horrible trade for them. M. Tkachuk is a big time playoff underachiever but he does help you get to the playoffs so he's still a useful player.
No joke!

Panthers were $3M over the cap before the trade.

They traded out $9.15m in cap, and signed Tkachuk to a $9.5M deal...and they are down a dman who they need to replace

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
In theory, this trade looks awful now for Florida and genius for Calgary, but if Calgary cant' get either guy signed and they walk to UFA next summer, it will be an enormous fail
They can probably trade both of them for a good haul at the next trade deadline if they can't keep them.

I am still shocked at how awful this trade is for Florida and how potentially amazing it is for Calgary.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
But now they get a do over and can trade both players for a couple 1st round picks in a very deep draft.

Reactions: Emrasie

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Ok ok ok...

Calgary now needs to find a shit ton of money for Huberdeau and Weegar. They need to lock them up ASAP to save face around the league after having guys want to jump ship.

I wonder if Tanev or Andersson are now available?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Weegar to Ottawa now?

That Bjorkstrand trade is wild, he’s a top 6 forward and Seattle got him for a 3rd and a 4th next year

Remember when we traded a 3rd for Travis Hamonic lol
That's just a terrifically bad trade. So f***ing desperate a trade to shed money to sign Laine. Barf.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
They can still try to compete and if it fails, sell both plus others at the deadline and truly kick off the rebuild leading up to what looks like a great draft. Great trade for Calgary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad