Around the League XXXIV: Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hossa was inarguably the biggest free agent pickup in franchise history and was instrumental in all three of our Cups. I don't see how he isn't a lock. And I'm making Seabs and Chelios a double for the former's importance in our sovereignty years and the fact that it lets them double up with the latter. I do agree that Sharp, Hammer, and Crow are not slam dunks, but the former two were part of a three-Cup crew that was our franchise's golden age, so wouldn't be shocked if they wanted to over-honor this time period, and Crow was our guy for two Cups and has a real chance to become our second winningest goalie in franchise history as well. I'd say that Crow's shot at getting his number retired is much more likely than Sharp or Hammer, though.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'd say 2, 88, 19 will have their numbers retired guaranteed.

Hossa is a toss-up, as he was acquired on the tail-end of his prime, and despite being one of, if not the biggest piece that pushed them over the edge, he may not get it as he spent more time on other teams than he did in a Hawks jersey. It wouldn't shock me, or bother me, though. He's my favorite player of all time. I would do it if it were me.

Crow could be on the fence. If he has a couple more really good, Vezina-caliber years, similar to his last couple, and stays healthy, then I'd say he has a good shot. Especially if he can manage to snag another Cup and/or a Vezina at some point.

I don't think Hammer or Sharp have a chance.
Chelios shouldn't be honored by the Hawks with a retired number. If anything, I'd retire it for Seabs only, as a slap in the face to the guy who said he'd never play for Detroit.

It's disgusting that Larmer hasn't had 28 retired yet. He was my favorite Hawk of all time prior to Hossa. And those two are pretty much interchangeable for me at 1 and 2, honestly.

As far as HoF, I'd say it's pretty much 2, 88, 19, 81. Those four should get in no problem.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hossa has been my favorite Hawk since his first game with us. Still though, a jersey retirement is a really prestigious thing. The Hawks aren't going to retire 8 jerseys from this Cup era.

I'm having trouble articulating why, maybe it would just dilute the whole process by having guys like Sharp or Hjalmarsson up in the rafters. We all love those guys and they're partly responsible for my most fun experience as a sports fan ever, but there's a tangible and intangible difference between Kieth, Toews, and Kane...and everyone else.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Hossa has been my favorite Hawk since his first game with us. Still though, a jersey retirement is a really prestigious thing. The Hawks aren't going to retire 8 jerseys from this Cup era.

I'm having trouble articulating why, maybe it would just dilute the whole process by having guys like Sharp or Hjalmarsson up in the rafters. We all love those guys and they're partly responsible for my most fun experience as a sports fan ever, but there's a tangible and intangible difference between Kieth, Toews, and Kane...and everyone else.

Eight?

Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa. That's four, is it not?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
In regards to my post, he means. And as said, Sharp and Hammer are the "Hawks really want to commemorate the hell out of this era" level of veneration in my book. Not likely, but not outside the realm of possibility either.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I would absolutely retire Chelios' jersey. He's one of the best dmen and one of the best Blackhawks of all time. You can add Seabrook as a carry-on, if you like, a la Keith Magnusson with Pilote, only more deserving.

The 'rule' IMO should be either key contributor ('core') cup winner with the Blackhawks, or HOFer. If you fill one (or both) of those criteria, you get your number retired. That's why I don't piss and moan about Larmer not being in the rafters. If he makes the HOF, add him. If not, don't.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Eight?

Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa. That's four, is it not?

Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, Seabrook, Crawford, Hjalmarsson, Sharp. I think those are the 8 in consideration from this era, no?

I realize that you said in your post that some of those weren't going to happen, or at the very least were unlikely, but I think those are the 8 he's referring to. The core.

Personally speaking, I'd be fine with them raising all 8 though they probably won't. This was an incredible era for this team, and all 8 of those guys were huge parts of why it happened. It's not like it's going to start an avalanche of jersey retiring... we could go another 60 years without winning a cup for all we know.

But some people look at jersey retirement on the same level as the hall of fame. So I get it. I just look at it as two tiers of recognition. One is what you've done for a team... hard to do more than win 3 cups. One is a recognition of league-wide excellence. And yeah, if you're recognized league-wide as an amazing player, then the team you most closely associate with can/should honor you too.

But obviously, there's nuance and grey areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I would absolutely retire Chelios' jersey. He's one of the best dmen and one of the best Blackhawks of all time. You can add Seabrook as a carry-on, if you like, a la Keith Magnusson with Pilote, only more deserving.

The 'rule' IMO should be either key contributor ('core') cup winner with the Blackhawks, or HOFer. If you fill one (or both) of those criteria, you get your number retired. That's why I don't piss and moan about Larmer not being in the rafters. If he makes the HOF, add him. If not, don't.

100% on Chelios. He was dominating here, I don't think soome people realize just how dominating he was. He was a Norris contender year in and year out for this team - he played Duncan Keith minutes only much nastier and physical.

Chelios belongs in the rafters and if Seabs needs to piggy back on it, so be it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
now that the dust has settled, there are multi teams with 1st rounder but it looks as if the NY Rangers won the best tdl moves. they are winding up with 3 - 1st rounders. they did a great job.

2018 NHL Mock Draft | 2018 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

The Ranger got took by Steve Y. Their McD trade was bad, they gave away JT Miller. The Nash deal was good.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i know no one to the best of my knowledge is saying that the Bhawks got taken. i still think in order to retool. the system is devoid of extra players that are not on a favorable salary cost salary, so yeah someone needed to be move in order to continue to fix the system.

Last edited:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
So, Seattle got 10,000 season ticket deposits in 12 minutes and 25,000 in the first hour, per numerous Twitter reports.

I guess hockey may be a good thing there.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Don't worry

Some disgruntled Canuck in Saskatoon or Quebec City will complain that they would have bought 10,000 tickets in less then a minute and blast Bettman for something

Cant wait until Seattle makes it 32

Hopefully the Yotes go to Houston in coming years as well

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Very impressive outing by Seattle. Go Thunderbirds, or whatever lesser name they eventually adopt because they won't try to go after the rights of a WHL moniker.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

Cale Makar might be a liiiiittle bit of a problem in our division soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad