Around the League XXXIV: Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TQE

Mar 4, 2014
I'm shocked the Isles didn't get a goalie, namely Raanta. They might as well just hold the door open for Tavares on his way out if they aren't going to even take that wildcard spot that's right there. Maybe Florida steals that last spot. The Rangers, Carolina and NYI apparently don't want it.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Uh, I think the Rangers robbed the Lightning blind. Possibly two first rounders and Namestinkov?

the panel on NHL Network just said the same thing...how the hell did the Rangers give up that much for that return? It is only one 1st round pick, which will likely be 28th or later, and a "possible first in 2019" but still, they gave up 1 solid player and got Miller who has the same amount of points as Namer....and then add McDonagh....I don't know, I am floored that deal was done without a dman coming back to the Rangers...outside of that second possible 1st rounder, that is the package McDonagh should have gotten by himself.

I agree with Lawton and Weekes,,,Rangers gave up too much IMO..

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don't understand anyone trashing him for not getting a kings ransom for regular season depth scorer mercenary Vanek. I would be ticked if the Hawks gave up anything of value for him.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
For what it's worth, while our team is in the gutter, the playoffs are going to be awesome this year. Lots of teams looking really good and no real Cup favorite. I can easily see any of Boston, Tampa, or Pitt coming out of the East. Who knows what could happen with Washington, Toronto, or Jersey. It does look like the team coming out of the Central will represent the West but Vegas will be really interesting to watch and see if they're the real deal.

It sucks that we're not in the playoffs but I'd honestly rather have it this way than get completely embarrassed again

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
For what it's worth, while our team is in the gutter, the playoffs are going to be awesome this year. Lots of teams looking really good and no real Cup favorite. I can easily see any of Boston, Tampa, or Pitt coming out of the East. Who knows what could happen with Washington, Toronto, or Jersey. It does look like the team coming out of the Central will represent the West but Vegas will be really interesting to watch and see if they're the real deal.

It sucks that we're not in the playoffs but I'd honestly rather have it this way than get completely embarrassed again
it is always good when the favorites are like a 3 or 4 team race. too bad that will happen in the East.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
WOW, Bergeron out indefinitely with a broken bone in his foot apparently....yikes that is a huge loss right now, making the moves they did makes a bit more sense with the veteran depth they picked up if Bergeron is out for more than 3-4 weeks.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Definitely going to be some good hockey to watch. I want to see Vegas do well but I just have this feeling they don't make it past the First Round.

I'll be "rooting" for Tampa.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don't think Vegas will ever be thought of as "the real deal" until they are up 2 games to 1 in a playoff series. Everyone just keeps waiting for that proverbial ball to drop

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't think Vegas will ever be thought of as "the real deal" until they are up 2 games to 1 in a playoff series. Everyone just keeps waiting for that proverbial ball to drop
I think they gave up a ton for Tatar - not sure that was the best asset for them to get, but he certainly adds depth to a very deep team.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think the Lightning got McDonagh and Miller for fairly cheap. Howden is legit, Hajek has looked good and bad at times, I think Namestikov was more a product of Stamkos and Kucherov.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Yeah but if im trading my best player as well as a winger with speed, size, and great possession numbers, also can score, I think I want more.

Not more pieces, more quality. Im also not high on Namestikov at all.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Wasn't sure where else to put this but it was an interesting discussion. Someone asked me A. what Blackhawks I thought were future HOF'ers and B. which Blackhawks' numbers did I think would be retired someday. All current/Cup-roster players.

For me....

HOF: Kane, Toews, Keith, Hossa

Numbers Retired: Kane, Toews, Keith, outside shot at Seabrook?
Hossa was part of three Cups but was only here seven seasons. I won't fight anyone if they think Hossa hangs, but I feel longevity is a factor for that.

Seabrook was an early piece of the turnaround, was around for some leans years, was a high level player during the team's peak years, and was an integral part of their success (big goals, leadership, etc). Longevity + contributions to championships...feel like that earns him rafter treatment, no?

This is all light-hearted discussion...or at least, it should be. I'm sure someone will make this nasty and start name-calling and make into the shitshow that is HF Boards, but, figured it was a fun topic to broach. I'm pretty much 100% locked into my HOF picks, but I think the number-retiring is much more up for debate. Tough to give guys due but not make it crazy to where seven guys are getting retired. If one wanted to go crazy you can add Hossa, Crawford, and Hammer to the mix but there's a definitely a point where you're cheapening the concept. Some disagree with any numbers being retired in any sport.

yeah...this will turn into a shitshow for sure.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I think Hossa is a lock for jersey retirement, owing in part to the obscurity of his number.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

TQE

Mar 4, 2014
Anybody else catch that Winnipeg-Nashville game last night?

It was a wild, wide-open one - as have been the last few between them before it. A meeting between them in the playoffs could be reminiscent of the Hawks-LA '14 series.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yeah but if im trading my best player as well as a winger with speed, size, and great possession numbers, also can score, I think I want more.

Not more pieces, more quality. Im also not high on Namestikov at all.

I agree 100%. I can't believe Miller was included in this deal to be honest...That was a similar package I thought McDonagh would get by himself, I mean look at what Rick Nash got - so the Rangers did great on the Nash trade, but I think they could have gotten more than what Tampa gave.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If Chelios gets his jersey retired it would be joke

Especially if Larmer still isn't hanging from rafters

Larmer's #28 should be next one to go up but it seems Hawks will never treat him with respect he deserves

Reactions: ChiHawks10

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
When it comes to the Hall of Fame, I'd say Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa (if his retirement didn't pass too many people off), and Q are all getting in. Regarding numbers being retired... I've said it several times before, this is what I'm expecting:

Locks
2 - Keith
7 - Seabrook/Chelios (it's going to happen eventually, just accept it)
19 - Toews
81 - Hossa
88 - Kane

Maybes
4 - Hjalmarsson - 3 Cup crew
10 - Sharp - 3 Cup crew
50 - Crawford - 2 Cups and getting up there on the franchise win list

Larmer's number should absolutely be retired as well.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Toews, Kane, and Kieth are the only ones getting their jerseys retired. It's a really, really big deal, especially to a historic franchise and Hossa, Sharp, Crawford, and Seabrook haven't done enough to earn that IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad