Around the League XXXIV: Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I've said it before and I will say again...straight-faced and without sarcasm; There are people in this forum who, literally, could be better GM's than many currently employed NHL ones.

I used to hate this line of thinking. I thought it was meat-headed and arrogant, not anymore. The whole hockey world can see these horrible decisions from miles away and some of these GM's are oblivious to them.

I've never liked Habs fans so i've got a little bit of schadenfreude for their situation, but damn...

-allowing Subban to be treated like garbage
-allowing Galchenyuk to be jerked around and horribly developed and STILL not just trading him
-Subban for Weber
-Therrien
-Shaw trade and subsequent extension, and just a general silliness of overemphasizing "grit" on the roster
-Price extension

I'm sure I'm missing more, but this Galchenyuk thing is particularly crazy. He was the #3 pick and their reward for a horrible season. The Hawks are having a similar season to MTL's a few years ago. Imagine being gifted a top-3 pick, a potential franchise player, and the only redeeming part of having a terrible season, and then waste it all away. From the outside looking in it seems like that kid has never been put in the best chance to succeed. What's worse though is that not only are they squandering his talents, they're not trading him and letting his value getting progressively lower.

I don't think being a GM is as easy as some are making it out to be, but a lot of these bad decisions are easy to spot for even casual fans and these GM's keep making moves like this all the time. Not every GM is going to be Theo Epstein but you have to expect SOME level of nuance and awareness from these GM's. There's a surprisingly low amount of it with a lot of these guys.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I've said it before and I will say again...straight-faced and without sarcasm; There are people in this forum who, literally, could be better GM's than many currently employed NHL ones.
Oh yeah I believe this and have stated as such. I can do a better job than Jim Benning and I believe that.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
not that this is big news, but I thought a good story.

Columbus is bringing up 30 year old Nathan Gerbe. He spent the past few seasons overseas, but the 5'5 Gerbe is the smallest player in the league again. He has massive quads which has always been his strength, but good to see Gerbe back in the NHL, always liked and rooted for him from years ago.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I used to hate this line of thinking. I thought it was meat-headed and arrogant, not anymore. The whole hockey world can see these horrible decisions from miles away and some of these GM's are oblivious to them.

I've never liked Habs fans so i've got a little bit of schadenfreude for their situation, but damn...

-allowing Subban to be treated like garbage
-allowing Galchenyuk to be jerked around and horribly developed and STILL not just trading him
-Subban for Weber
-Therrien
-Shaw trade and subsequent extension, and just a general silliness of overemphasizing "grit" on the roster
-Price extension

I'm sure I'm missing more, but this Galchenyuk thing is particularly crazy. He was the #3 pick and their reward for a horrible season. The Hawks are having a similar season to MTL's a few years ago. Imagine being gifted a top-3 pick, a potential franchise player, and the only redeeming part of having a terrible season, and then waste it all away. From the outside looking in it seems like that kid has never been put in the best chance to succeed. What's worse though is that not only are they squandering his talents, they're not trading him and letting his value getting progressively lower.

I don't think being a GM is as easy as some are making it out to be, but a lot of these bad decisions are easy to spot for even casual fans and these GM's keep making moves like this all the time. Not every GM is going to be Theo Epstein but you have to expect SOME level of nuance and awareness from these GM's. There's a surprisingly low amount of it with a lot of these guys.

I won't speak for anyone else but I know for a fact it is an incredibly difficult job and have never once said otherwise. But speaking from a strictly decision-making capacity and knowing the knowledge and intelligence about the game, personnel, etc of people here and elsewhere, there are people who 100% could do a better job. If for no other reason than some of the really obvious things they see as terrible decisions that they wouldn't make the some GM's still seem to make somehow.

My claim isn't a knee-jerk reaction or meat-headed. It's an opinion that's been formed over the course of a few years here and elsewhere and speaking from my own experience. I have little doubt there are people who could make better decisions than those who are in those seats right now. It's a hard ass job, but there are some rather unqualified/overmatched people doing it right now.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I actually enjoyed Chicago Ottawa far more than that Finland Canada game.

Yeah I don't know how people can enjoy the games and say they're fun. Except in some sort of "novelty" way, I guess.

Maybe it's just a European thing? No offense @Bubba88, just that from what I've read on these boards, Euro's tend to have a lot more interest and pride in these international tournaments than Americans do.

I didn't even care about the World Cup of Hockey last year. It's not just the NHL players being there, the games don't mean anything and therefore can never be as exhilarating to watch. Olympic hockey is the only thing that comes close to being as fun to watch as playoff hockey. These "Diet Coke" versions of it do nothing for me

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah I don't know how people can enjoy the games and say they're fun. Except in some sort of "novelty" way, I guess.

Maybe it's just a European thing? No offense @Bubba88, just that from what I've read on these boards, Euro's tend to have a lot more interest and pride in these international tournaments than Americans do.

I didn't even care about the World Cup of Hockey last year. It's not just the NHL players being there, the games don't mean anything and therefore can never be as exhilarating to watch. Olympic hockey is the only thing that comes close to being as fun to watch as playoff hockey. These "Diet Coke" versions of it do nothing for me
Not to say I cared about the World Cup, but the hockey was exciting at least.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So you didn't see any great saves, highlight reel goals, end to end action? That's my definition of exciting, and there was lots of it.

Working with extremes here, but preseason games can have all of that stuff too. It's cool to watch but if the games don't mean anything (and the WCoH absolutely doesn't yet) then no, it's not that exciting for me.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Working with extremes here, but preseason games can have all of that stuff too. It's cool to watch but if the games don't mean anything (and the WCoH absolutely doesn't yet) then no, it's not that exciting for me.
Preseason games don't have nearly as much skill or highlight reel plays as the World Cup did. And it means something to the players, as they were giving it their all every shift, unlike a preseason game. The Olympics mean a lot to the players too, they just suck at hockey, which makes it far less exciting.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Brassard to the Pens for a 1st and Cole + some other stuff going back and forth it seems(money?)

Grabner to the Devils for a 2nd and prospect.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
wow, did the Penguins give up a lot for Brassard at 18% retention - so much for them getting AA!

Ian Cole and a 1st round pick for Brassard....that is a good haul for Ottawa, Cole isn't that bad of a player.

I definitely think AA can land a first if Brassard got that

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
wow, did the Penguins give up a lot for Brassard at 18% retention - so much for them getting AA!

Ian Cole and a 1st round pick for Brassard....that is a good haul for Ottawa, Cole isn't that bad of a player.

I definitely think AA can land a first if Brassard got that

Cole is ok, but I guarantee Ottawa flips him before the TDL.

If Brassard got a 1st, AA should as well.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Go back a couple pages :)

I mentioned it. Couple others did too. Hell, I stayed up till 2am when the medal ceremony was over!

Edit: It was in another thread. Page 43 of the "Other Sports" thread.

I read through this whole thing. and Anything goes. "Other Sports" -_-. When talk of olympic hockey was in here.

Reactions: ChiHawks10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad