Around the League | No lead is safe in Round 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Problem for the Leafs is that both Marner and Tavares are Toronto guys with NMCs and ... they almost certainly aren't waiving those to leave a good team in their home city.
Tavares won’t waive imo. Next contract isn’t going to be max term so he will play this out and if he has to leave so be it for him.
Marner is 28 when his deal is up. Max term takes him to 36. So if he wants max money he’d have to consider that as well. But who would hand MM a max term 8 figure deal right now?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Tavares won’t waive imo. Next contract isn’t going to be max term so he will play this out and if he has to leave so be it for him.
Marner is 28 when his deal is up. Max term takes him to 36. So if he wants max money he’d have to consider that as well. But who would hand MM a max term 8 figure deal right now?
Utah it is

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think Marner would absolutely waive at this point if it is made clear that he isn't wanted, but I don't know how many fits there are
With a nmc he’d probably be seeking a new deal in July 1 when he can first extend. So you’d be committing 9 years to him before he laces them up for you.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Problem for the Leafs is that both Marner and Tavares are Toronto guys with NMCs and ... they almost certainly aren't waiving those to leave a good team in their home city.

tavares at the back end of his career as the captain of his home town team, absolutely. but marner is soft, seems to care much more about personal glory (that god comment was bizarre), gets much more criticism from their meat head fanbase, and is a ufa after next year. i could very easily see him being willing to waive his nmc to go pad his stats somewhere (and what would be a better spot than on a wing with hyman-mcdavid??) so he can absolutely rake it in as a free agent.

nurse gets to go to much closer to home (where his cousin also plays), gets a fresh start and adds a much needed minute munching defenseman to the leafs with a different skill set from reilly, and with better partner options than cody ceci.

Reactions: Josepho

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver

I think there's more teams than you think that would be happy to do so. Getting elite level talent isn't easy. If you're keeping it to good teams that are more desirable to go to, LA has lots of cap space, particularly if they buy out Dubois at a discount. Nashville has a boatload of cap space. Seem like reasonably attractive places to play to me?

I think its unlikely that he gets moved. They're going to get teams circling in trade negotiations saying they will do them a "favour" by taking his contract and his 90-100 points a season off their hands. Similar to some of the laughable proposals we saw for JT Miller last year. He also has the NMC, so there is no bidding war.

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
It would be nice to see the Rangers lose a game and someone snip ZeBanAJad’s hair.

IMG_4646.jpeg

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
With a nmc he’d probably be seeking a new deal in July 1 when he can first extend. So you’d be committing 9 years to him before he laces them up for you.

I could see Chicago making a splash to get Bedard a premier winger. Any bottom feeder with promising talent like San Jose could be a good candidate.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I don’t like the way Hurricanes do business and I get a small amount of satisfaction in watching them flame out of the playoffs every year.

They did acquire Guentzel though.

You mean how they constantly cheap out and their owner always tries to nickel and dime everyone? I don't follow the Canes enough. So genuinely curious.
It will be very interesting to see what happens to the Canes if they flame out again. Will Brind’Amour even want to stay? Do they have any chance of re-signing Guentzel?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i respect that carolina bargain hunts. it's just that they do not pick their spots to splash out and get assets they need so they always seem a couple of players away from being able to go all the way.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
You mean how they constantly cheap out and their owner always tries to nickel and dime everyone? I don't follow the Canes enough. So genuinely curious.

This but

i respect that carolina bargain hunts. it's just that they do not pick their spots to splash out and get assets they need so they always seem a couple of players away from being able to go all the way.

Mainly this. They are a really smartly run organization that has bought into their own hype on late round picks and winning every trade. They finally made some splashes this season, although without giving up anything of real value. It annoys me when teams cheap out instead of actually improving because they insist on winning every single transaction.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
If Shesterkin plays like this the entire rest of the way I don't know if anyone can beat the Rangers. The guy is on another level right now, really makes me miss Demko.

Some of it might be the Hurricanes just throwing everything on the net instead of holding the puck and looking for a better shot. Always analytic darlings in the publicly available models but something tells me they don't look nearly as good in the private ones when you dig a bit deeper into the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad