Around the League | No lead is safe in Round 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Florida gets spanked in game 1, now they're spanking Boston in game 2.
great response.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Least the Leafs made one smart decision and canned Keefe.

Berube up next?

Firing Keefe was a given - was in way over his head, and his comments after Game 7 were mind bogglingly bad.

Berube would seem to be the logical choice - Championship pedigree, and apparently had the inside track on Ottawa but wanted more $ than Ottawa wanted to give, something TML should have no issue with.

Of course - it wouldn't surprise me at all if Joel Quenneville tried to beg his way back into the NHL again, and if so, if he tried to get the Toronto job.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

You rarely allow HC to go into their final year. Either he was fired last off season or extended. Think Trotz with Wash went into his final year. Veteran HC who had yet to get his team over the hump. But even the players knew it was make or break with that roster in 2018.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
leafs getting berube could be interesting.

watching berube doing colour on the vegas series i was not impressed. maybe he was deliberately keeping it simple and/or intimidated by the cameras but he seemed vague and hesitant. to me it seemed like might have lost a mental step.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
GM gets him Reaves and Klingburg, Keefe gets fired.

Yeah, that makes sense . . .

That Leafs last off season wanted to be a tough, gritty, scratch the hairs off our chest kind of good old Canadian team you can be proud of.

So they get a lazy floater who doesn't do shit while fighting scrubs to 'inspire' the team. Also, get a horrible defensemen who was ass beyond recognition.

Treiveling brought that Calgary stank to Toronto with bad intensions.

Reactions: I am toxic

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That Leafs last off season wanted to be a tough, gritty, scratch the hairs off our chest kind of good old Canadian team you can be proud of.

So they get a lazy floater who doesn't do shit while fighting scrubs to 'inspire' the team. Also, get a horrible defensemen who was ass beyond recognition.

Treiveling brought that Calgary stank to Toronto with bad intensions.
The Klingberg signing wasnt good..However, I can see the reasoning why Treliving went out and acquired Reaves,Domi and Bertuzzi..Under Dubas, the Leafs were a talented, soft team that had zero heart, grit, or toughness.

They were one goal away from advancing (without having Matthews/Nylander simultaneously healthy)...At least they showed resilience this post season.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the question is whether the leafs braintrust has realized yet that going into another season with the same core is diminishing returns. i suspect that treliving is gunshy to make a star player swap after huberdeau, so that means he either blinks and extends or he has to try and get a three for one.

i predict a team like the kraken or utah gets marner and the leafs get a package of competent middle six players and prospects.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
the question is whether the leafs braintrust has realized yet that going into another season with the same core is diminishing returns. i suspect that treliving is gunshy to make a star player swap after huberdeau, so that means he either blinks and extends or he has to try and get a three for one.

i predict a team like the kraken or utah gets marner and the leafs get a package of competent middle six players and prospects.

If they ain’t gonna trade Marner and if Marner refuses to waive his NMC, he will give the Leafs the finger and go to UFA.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The Klingberg signing wasnt good..However, I can see the reasoning why Treliving went out and acquired Reaves,Domi and Bertuzzi..

reaves, domi and bertuzzi have in common that all three are much bigger names than players. hard not to conclude they were stunt signings designed to engage the toronto market and i doubt treliving picked them and certainly not for on ice potential. they wreak of ownership to me.

Reactions: mathonwy

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Klingberg signing wasnt good..However, I can see the reasoning why Treliving went out and acquired Reaves,Domi and Bertuzzi..Under Dubas, the Leafs were a talented, soft team that had zero heart, grit, or toughness.

They were one goal away from advancing (without having Matthews/Nylander simultaneously healthy)...At least they showed resilience this post season.

They didn't lose because of 'heart, grit, and toughness'.

They lost because they didn't have enough D depth or quality starting goaltending ... and that remained the problem.

Everyone focuses on the 'core 4' but the central problem with that team over the past couple years is that the D/G is bottom-10 in the NHL.

They needed to be signing Soucys/Coles last summer or trading for Tanevs during the season, and instead they got Klingberg and Lyubushkin.

reaves, domi and bertuzzi have in common that all three are much bigger names than players. hard not to conclude they were stunt signings designed to engage the toronto market and i doubt treliving picked them and certainly not for on ice potential. they wreak of ownership to me.

That whole market is steeped in Don Cherryisms and those signings last summer were coming from a total Don Cherry 1990s mentality.

They needed to make the sort of signings we did of quality two-way system players like Cole/Soucy/Blueger but instead they went for guys who did good fights and looked angry sometimes for the cameras.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He will go pro.

One final thing with the draft lottery, the percentages for the bottom 3 teams to win it out right seems to have remained the same 18.5, 13.5, 11.5% since 2016. That's 43.5% outright, with an extra 7% for the worst team if #12 to 16 OA win it, which has yet to happen these past 4 lotteries.

Just a quirk with the small sample size, but 7/8 draws have been won by the bottom 3 teams in the past 4 lotteries, whereas it was 3/10 for the bottom 3 the prior 5 lotteries when only looking at the top 2 picks.

Should even out to the % over time.

Yet we managed to fall to 5th despite having the 3rd best odds in 2016. Although in hindsight it probably wouldn't matter. We probably would have drafted Puljujarvi or traded the pick for Subban.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Everyone focuses on the 'core 4' but the central problem with that team over the past couple years is that the D/G is bottom-10 in the NHL.
For sure they have goaltending and defensive depth issues, but that is tied in part to paying $40M for four forwards. That goes up to $46M next season. And one of those four is declining due to age, while another is a soft perimeter player.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yet we managed to fall to 5th despite having the 3rd best odds in 2016. Although in hindsight it probably wouldn't matter. We probably would have drafted Puljujarvi or traded the pick for Subban.
What was funny (in a sad way) is that per the video the NHL released, SJ had one of their numbers come up for 3 straight draws. A 1/5 chance that one of their numbers come up yet they win 1st OA and their numbers come up twice for pick 2 in which they have to redraw it before Chicago's number is drawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad