Around the League | No lead is safe in Round 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I'm not as bullish as you are and think the Karlsson return was pretty poor for how many contracts that took back but he's been put in a really bad spot and is navigating it better than most are giving credit.

i don't really think the money he took back matters. hoffman's contract is already gone and granlund and ruuta will be gone next summer. they did retain on karlsson (and burns and hertl) but they have so many ELCs already in the lineup and lined up to join that it won't really matter

if you consider the money meier got and the age of hertl, burns and karlsson all san jose really needed was to get rid of the contracts. getting some decent picks and a grip of decent prospects back is just gravy

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
sharks get to add celebrini and possibly his bestie eiserman in a couple months. instantly have the best prospect pool in the league imo

Reactions: mossey3535

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I don't think there's any way Eiserman falls that far in the draft.

14 overall? i would be surprised if he isn't available there. he had a really poor year and there's tons of people who think he doesn't have the work ethic to succeed in the ncaa let alone the nhl

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
14 overall? i would be surprised if he isn't available there. he had a really poor year and there's tons of people who think he doesn't have the work ethic to succeed in the ncaa let alone the nhl

Oh shit, sorry. Thought it was a way later pick and confused myself. Yeah 14th is definitely possible.

I'm curious if Celebrini makes the jump to the NHL right away, if Will Smith also does so.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Sharks have made the playoffs 14 times in the last 20 seasons. They even tried to give their core more chances to win by bringing in guys like Karlsson.

They've only missed the playoffs ten times since entering the league in 1991-92.

This isn't a team that is always bottoming out; that's an organization that, for 99% of their time in the NHL, tried to put a winning team out on the ice. They just lost steam with the core and couldn't find replacements.

If any team deserves a #1 overall pick, I think it's that organization. I really hated it when they showed the Chicago GM get all gitty about the chance to win the 1st overall. That left me with a really bad taste in my mouth.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sharks get Celebrini.
Posted on main board, but when we had top 3 and any team outside the PO can win, we had more movement.

Instituted top 2 only in like 2021 IIRC.
2021 Buf at 1OA and SEA slotted at 3OA got it
2022 Mon at 1OA got it and NJ at 5OA
2023 Chi at 3OA and Ana at 1OA
2024 SJ at 1OA and CHI at 2OA got it.

7/8 have been bottom 3, with 5OA winning 1.

2020 had NYR in that post top 8 group. LA at 4, then SJ at 3
2019 had NJ at 3, NYR at 6, and CHI at 12
2018 had Buf at 1, Car at 11, and Mon at 4
2017 had NJ at 4, PHI at 12, and Dal at 7
2016 had Tor at 1, Win at 6, CBS at 4.

So, even removing 3OA pick from prior drafts, You have 3/10 in bottom 3, and 2 more in the bottom 5, with 5 outside the bottom 5 getting a lottery win at 6, 12, 11, and 6.

Small sample size so far, but seems a bit interesting nonetheless.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Oh shit, sorry. Thought it was a way later pick and confused myself. Yeah 14th is definitely possible.

I'm curious if Celebrini makes the jump to the NHL right away, if Will Smith also does so.

Owen Power is really the only #1 pick in recent memory who didn't make the jump to the NHL immediately (before that it was Erik Johnson). Celebrini dominated the NCAAs this year so there's really no reason why he wouldn't make the jump.

Reactions: Vector

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Owen Power is really the only #1 pick in recent memory who didn't make the jump to the NHL immediately (before that it was Erik Johnson). Celebrini dominated the NCAAs this year so there's really no reason why he wouldn't make the jump.
Unless SJ is complete chaos and Macklin has the attitude that Zegras has about defense and compete. He's going to make the jump. But, man, the lottery did get rejigged, but wow, such a difference in the lottery wins vs the prior 5 lotteries. 7/8 in new format won by bottom 3 teams, with the other by 5OA. Prior to that, 3/10 for the top 2 were bottom 3.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He also has a really refined 3-zone game for his age so he's probably going to be that much more able to make the jump than a lot of guys, too.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Main reason would be to keep him from the Sharks if they don't have any infrastructure to support him. I fully expect him to sign this summer but I don't think there's a non-zero chance that he and/or the team want him to stay away for a season.

You'd figure they'd do what the Ducks and Blackhawks did by bringing in some veterans (Hall, Foligno, & Perry(LOL) and Killorn) so he's not tasked with being the entire offense.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Main reason would be to keep him from the Sharks if they don't have any infrastructure to support him. I fully expect him to sign this summer but I don't think there's a non-zero chance that he and/or the team want him to stay away for a season.

You'd figure they'd do what the Ducks and Blackhawks did by bringing in some veterans (Hall, Foligno, & Perry(LOL) and Killorn) so he's not tasked with being the entire offense.
Vlasic, Sturm, Couture, Granlund are their vets. Have $38 mill in cap space. No retention spots for next season. All used up on Burns, Hertl, EK. Need to add short term help. But, going to be a rough ELC years for Macklin.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
bu has a really good recruiting class that includes eiserman who is reportedly celebrini's best friend. given how strong that team is shaping up to be and the fact his brother is also on bu it wouldn't be shocking if celebrini opts to play his sophomore year

i'd still bet on him jumping to the nhl tho

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
What a snipe by Laf.
Also lol Svech what are you doing buddy. Shesterkin deserves a medal for how hard he sold that though lmao

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sharks definitely need to acquire Mikheyev this summer to help shelter the youth movement.
2 ways to approach filling the roster if you are SJ. Can make trades to pick up vets with 1-2 years left on their contracts for minimal return. Mid round pick or a swap of draft picks and even include an AHL contract. Why? Keeps the term short vs trying to convince free agents to sign with a bad team for the next 3-4 years. They'd want money and term to play there.

Question is whether they end up on No Trade lists now when before, they were a top 5 destination of players who had only a short list of teams they could be moved to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad