Around the League Thread | Where elbows aren’t penalties and what’s the capital of Thailand again?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don't know if anybody remembers this Minnesota Wild Fan from our series threads but it looks like the mask has fully come off :laugh:
I've seen talk of "offensive zone minutes" etc as well. Yes the Oilers may have greater offensive zone time but what gets completely missed in that is the time the Oilers spend in possession in their own zone trying to get the puck up ice. Shift after shift last night was spent with the Oilers needing multiple attempts to break the puck out of the zone. Turnovers galore at the blue line while the puck got knocked back. It doesn't register as Panther offensive zone time as they don't have possession but it's the same damn thing...the puck is in the Oilers defensive zone a ton.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In fairness to the Canucks, Forsling bounced around the league a bit before landing in Florida. After his rights were traded to the Hawks by the Canucks, he spent parts of three seasons bouncing back and forth between Chicago and their AHL farm team in Rockford.

And he spent the entire 2019-20 season with the Charlotte Checkers, who I believe at that time were affiliated with Carolina. The Hurricanes eventually put him on waivers, and he was claimed by Florida in 2021.

So obviously it's not been a linear progression to the NHL after being drafted in the fifth round by the Canucks in 2014. But just goes to show, that for late round draft picks like Forsling, it's all about player development and just getting an opportunity.
Did Chicago promise him time in the NHL or something? Seems odd that he didn't play more in the A in years 1 and 2 of his ELC? Just made more sense to develop kids in the A rather than what I'd call YoYo them up and down.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I've seen talk of "offensive zone minutes" etc as well. Yes the Oilers may have greater offensive zone time but what gets completely missed in that is the time the Oilers spend in possession in their own zone trying to get the puck up ice. Shift after shift last night was spent with the Oilers needing multiple attempts to break the puck out of the zone. Turnovers galore at the blue line while the puck got knocked back. It doesn't register as Panther offensive zone time as they don't have possession but it's the same damn thing...the puck is in the Oilers defensive zone a ton.
Ya, the third period of last game was a good example of this. The Panthers really outplayed the Oilers IMO, despite the Oilers scoring two goals. The Panthers, to me, had the run of play and more scoring chances. And the scoring chances were consistently created based on Oilers breakout turn overs, or the Panthers pressuring them on the forecheck. The Panthers don't need sustained offensive time because they can consistently create scoring chances as a result of Oilers defensive breakdowns. And conversely, even though the Oilers are good at getting consistent offensive pressure, they don't get a ton of scoring chances out of it because the Panthers don't have consistent defensive breakdowns.

So overall, the offensive pressure isn't the be all and end all. Although I have to give it to Knoblauch in the Vancouver and Dallas series, because I think he identified how prone the Oilers are to defensive breakdowns, and the best way to reduce those is to spend a ton of time in the offensive zone. So its a decent strategy for him as the Oilers simply can't be trust to play reliable defense so need to reduce as much as possible the amount of time the other team is playing offense.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
twitter really is the modern playoffs photoshop thread :laugh:

fXUX1AM.png

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Seriously, can they win at least one game, its embarrassing.

Seriously, can they win at least one game, its embarrassing.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Did Chicago promise him time in the NHL or something? Seems odd that he didn't play more in the A in years 1 and 2 of his ELC? Just made more sense to develop kids in the A rather than what I'd call YoYo them up and down.
Quennville. Follow him & follow Forsling development/progress.:)

twitter really is the modern playoffs photoshop thread :laugh:

fXUX1AM.png
Frank is just the half-brother of Mark Spector.:sarcasm:

Reactions: vanarchy

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Forsling was one of the top defenseman prospects in the world at the time and excelled in the preseason and early in the season.

Then he had injuries that set him back. He probably wasn't ready physically, but his skills were apparent right away.

And Chicago's defense was awful, so they needed to play him even if he wasn't ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: quat

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Man the number of former Sabres winning a cup after leaving is getting kind of silly.
ROR in 2019, Eichel in 2023 and now Reinhart in 2024. They were supposed to lead the Sabres to one from 15/16 season onwards.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Man the number of former Sabres winning a cup after leaving is getting kind of silly.
ROR in 2019, Eichel in 2023 and now Reinhart in 2024. They were supposed to lead the Sabres to one from 15/16 season onwards.

Okposo, Montour, and Rodrigues too.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Okposo, Montour, and Rodrigues too.
From the high impact guys it’s kind of crazy.

ROR, Eichel, Reinhart and probably add in Kane, Lehner that they traded for were all part of the 15/16 team that they thought would get them to the promised land but still no PO since.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
That's what happens when you have a young squad about to break out, and put the wrong people in charge of the team. Housley and Kreuger totally failed in getting anything out of them, and it's entirely possible we're having this conversation in another 5 years with respect to the Senators.

We got pretty lucky with Rutherford/Allvin/Tocchet.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Sort of reminds me of the chatter after the 2011 series (though Skinner is obviously no Bobby-Lou).

Luongo was dog-shit in half the games in the finals (being pulled multiple times) though it didn't really matter since the offense in front of him completely wilted.

Likewise, the Oiler's top-5 scorers have gone limp in this series. It is completely unreasonable to expect your goaltender to steal games when your entire team goes 4 games without scoring a goal playing 5v5 hockey.

Bitch about Skinner all you want (and he is certainly deserving of his share of the blame) but the entire team has been a letdown. As soon as a team figured out how to stop their powerplay, it was all but over for them.

The redemption tastes sweet after listening to the panel gushing over "Canada's Team" over the past few weeks.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Sort of reminds me of the chatter after the 2011 series (though Skinner is obviously no Bobby-Lou).

Luongo was dog-shit in half the games in the finals (being pulled multiple times) though it didn't really matter since the offense in front of him completely wilted.

Likewise, the Oiler's top-5 scorers have gone limp in this series. It is completely unreasonable to expect your goaltender to steal games when your entire team goes 4 games without scoring a goal playing 5v5 hockey.

Bitch about Skinner all you want (and he is certainly deserving of his share of the blame) but the entire team has been a letdown. As soon as a team figured out how to stop their powerplay, it was all but over for them.

The redemption tastes sweet after listening to the panel gushing over "Canada's Team" over the past few weeks.

While I agree with this, I'm not popping corks just yet - I'll reserve that for when the final horns go and the games are over. I sincerely hope it's tomorrow. It's all I want for Father's Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad