Around the League Thread | The one where Florida blows it…?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
When did the Canucks ever have the chirping high ground?
Yes, and what exactly is chirping high ground anyway?

The Oilers having the shittiest team for years, winning first overall picks four times didn't disincline them at all from constantly taking shots at the Canucks. Does them winning another cup this year make their fans more intelligent? If only that were true. It's meaningless in that regard.

Your team winning a cup is its only reward. What fans of other teams think is meaningless, as was made abundantly clear during 2011.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
These are some of the things that happened.

But he certainly was on a special level of sucking and it looked very much on purpose.
yeah and it was at a totally inconsequential time....which probably contributed to the problem. Pettersson sucking when he did (and heaven help us if it was emotional fall out from getting Rutherforded at the poker table) probably cost us decent chance at the cup.

Reactions: Chiripa20

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
yeah and it was at a totally inconsequential time....which probably contributed to the problem. Pettersson sucking when he did (and heaven help us if it was emotional fall out from getting Rutherforded at the poker table) probably cost us decent chance at the cup.
Millers suck is what made the season inconsequential.

He had a higher GA than many goalies. He was leading the league in goals against shorthanded over everyone, including all goaltenders.

But I have no idea where you are trying to take this conversation...

Reactions: credulous

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
bullshit. Historically bad goaltending and Boudreau pond hockey were way bigger factors.
Ah. You are actually trying to defend Millers season.

Guess that is one hill you can choose to die on...

Just a case of an immature player that pouted & cried when things didn't go their way (imho). But he's a different player now.
Maybe he is.

Or everything just went our way this year.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
What's most interesting about the Oilers' performance is how spread out the TOI and scoring was... RNH was actually the forward that played the most at 19 minutes, McDavid logged 20 seconds less. Only Perry and Ryan were kept at under 10 minutes, the next lowest was Holloway at 12. Foegele was the only player to have more than a point even though there were 5 goals and McDavid didn't score on any of them.

So they'll be headed into G7 knowing they don't need McJesus performances to comfortably win. Hard to not have confidence.
The Oilers played a few games like this during the year as well, where you could see the possibility they could be successful. They were just wildly inconsistent with that full team approach and tended to defer far to often to McDavid.

When they play like a team, they become a team that's solid that also just happens to have one of the best players to ever lace them up. That's going to cover up a lot of warts, and they just need to do it for one more game.

The only way they lose this is if they go back to expecting McDavid to win it all for them. At this stage that seems very unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

I still find the dark humour in the fact that one of the main reasons the Canucks didn't get past the Oilers was due to Pettersson's weak offensive play, yet he came into the season feeling the team had to show him it was worth committing to. I have no doubts that he's going to have a chip on his shoulder about that, and we'll all benefit from it.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Moving on Monday back to Canada so I have to miss the game. Not once during planning did I think the NHL would be stupid enough to have a game scheduled in the last week of June when its 35 degrees outside here in NY. For the love of God I hope they get their shit together next year and move games up to ending mid-June at the latest, hockey in the middle of summer heat is just bizarre.

Hopefully the Panthers take it. This has been an absolutely wild series so far, probably the best from a neutral fan perspective since 2011 with all the storylines surrounding it.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
There are other ways to defend Pettersson than by taking digs and bringing up Miller in a negative way. If "Shit" is 24 pts in 23 games to start hopefully we can get some more shitty players now that we have a defence and a system in place

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
When did the Canucks ever have the chirping high ground?

Yeah, I think that’s always been the puzzling thing to me watching this fan rivalry. To slightly paraphrase Arnold Rimmer from Red Dwarf;

“I stand here now and ask myself “who is the richer man?” Is it you, with your 5 Stanley Cups, a likely 6th on the way, two - if not three - Generational Super Star Talents, a trophy case that could put all other franchises save for maybe 1 to shame, and entire rosters full of Hall of Famers?

Or is it us, with…with…what we’ve got?

…it’s you, isn’t it?”

It makes the chirping all the more amusing. I get it from a Vancouver perspective - not so sure why Oiler fans get so riled up by Canucks fans. Online, anyway.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Moving on Monday back to Canada so I have to miss the game. Not once during planning did I think the NHL would be stupid enough to have a game scheduled in the last week of June when its 35 degrees outside here in NY. For the love of God I hope they get their shit together next year and move games up to ending mid-June at the latest, hockey in the middle of summer heat is just bizarre.

Hopefully the Panthers take it. This has been an absolutely wild series so far, probably the best from a neutral fan perspective since 2011 with all the storylines surrounding it.
Must be annoying for the GMs and agents that have to navigate an even tighter window to not try and unseat the Cup final with news and business.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
It just comes to me two more ex-leafs (hyman and connor brown) will win the cup before the Leafs' core4 wins the cup if the Oilers win :laugh::laugh::laugh:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, I think that’s always been the puzzling thing to me watching this fan rivalry. To slightly paraphrase Arnold Rimmer from Red Dwarf;

“I stand here now and ask myself “who is the richer man?” Is it you, with your 5 Stanley Cups, a likely 6th on the way, two - if not three - Generational Super Star Talents, a trophy case that could put all other franchises save for maybe 1 to shame, and entire rosters full of Hall of Famers?

Or is it us, with…with…what we’ve got?

…it’s you, isn’t it?”

It makes the chirping all the more amusing. I get it from a Vancouver perspective - not so sure why Oiler fans get so riled up by Canucks fans. Online, anyway.

Cause talking shit online is the best way to troll instead of being in person. Like Mike Tyson said, people get away with talking too much shit and never got to pay the consequences.

Talk shit face to face with someone, let’s see how that goes. If it ain’t bleeding, you ain’t trying.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I could see the start of a Canucks/Oilers rivalry in the next few years, especially if they win. Hopefully, the boys are burning mad about having been a part of history. The experience is great for guys like Pettersson and Hughes.

Honestly, I think our ability to compete lies largely with players like Lekkermaki and Willander. We need both to turn into ELC contributors.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh, come on. 'Rutger McGroarty' is not a real name.
Nothing has changed for him and the jets. He opted to return to Michigan. Unless he changes his mind what is there to talk about? Really for these ncaa kids have to ask whether they are prepared to play in the ahl should they not make the roster. Because it’s realistically nicer in terms of travel and facilities at Michigan than at pretty much any ahl team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad