Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Did anyone ever acknowledge that the guy who first posted the tragic Gaudreau brothers news was accurate? It seemed like vitriol, vitriol, vitriol, vitriol, vitriol, (news confirmed) hard silence. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Did anyone ever acknowledge that the guy who first posted the tragic Gaudreau brothers news was accurate? It seemed like vitriol, vitriol, vitriol, vitriol, vitriol, (news confirmed) hard silence. 🤷🏼‍♀️

It was acknowledged as accurate - but wildly inappropriate.

You had the news going public before the family had even been notified.

You had a police officer texting his brother - inappropriate # 1 - and that brother going to the press - inappropriate # 2.

You had the freaking medical examiner sharing all the horrid details in a group text - and that text being uploaded to freaking Reddit.

There is so much about this awful, awful tragedy that was just thoroughly mishandled in the most ridiculous, unprofessional, unethical ways. And I think each of the parties involved with it should have to answer some very hard questions from their respective employers.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
What the hell happened to Calgary. 2 years ago…

Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Toffoli, Monahan, Mangiapane, Backlund, Coleman, Andersson, Hanifin, Giordano, Tanev, Zadorov, Kylington, Markstrom. Lucic, Dube (yuck), Gudbranson, Jarnkrok, Lewis as quality depth pieces.

Gaudreau and Tkachuk wanting to be closer to home and leaving really sealed that cores fate. would’ve easily made the Finals in 2023 and 2024 and likely could’ve won back to back.

Reactions: quat

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
It was acknowledged as accurate - but wildly inappropriate.

You had the news going public before the family had even been notified.

You had a police officer texting his brother - inappropriate # 1 - and that brother going to the press - inappropriate # 2.

You had the freaking medical examiner sharing all the horrid details in a group text - and that text being uploaded to freaking Reddit.

There is so much about this awful, awful tragedy that was just thoroughly mishandled in the most ridiculous, unprofessional, unethical ways. And I think each of the parties involved with it should have to answer some very hard questions from their respective employers.
I guess it's easier to see a pile than a pebble.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Toffoli, Monahan, Mangiapane, Backlund, Coleman, Andersson, Hanifin, Giordano, Tanev, Zadorov, Kylington, Markstrom. Lucic, Dube (yuck), Gudbranson, Jarnkrok, Lewis as quality depth pieces.

Gaudreau and Tkachuk wanting to be closer to home and leaving really sealed that cores fate. would’ve easily made the Finals in 2023 and 2024 and likely could’ve won back to back.
Uh, would've 'easily' made the finals? What suggests that? They had a year where every single thing went historically right for them and they got decimated by Edmonton in the second round.

I'm not saying it's impossible they would have found a way, but to act like it was fait accompli seems insane to me.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Uh, would've 'easily' made the finals? What suggests that? They had a year where every single thing went historically right for them and they got decimated by Edmonton in the second round.

I'm not saying it's impossible they would have found a way, but to act like it was fait accompli seems insane to me.
I don’t think it’s insane. McDavid and Draisaitl had one of the best playoff runs in history rivaled only by 92’ Lemieux and 88’ and 93’ Gretzky that year. I don’t think Calgary would’ve won it that year anyways though because Colorado was just insane.

Talent wise and depth wise that 22’ iteration of the Flames was great and had they remained together would’ve definitely challenged for a cup. Florida wasn’t even impressive and nearly gave us one of the greatest choke jobs in sports history against a battered McDrai. They would also be Tkachuk’less.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

The simple answer is that a lot of players simply don't want to re-sign there for reasons that are completely mystifying to me. Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Zadorov, Markstrom, Hamilton, Fox and Hanifin either got traded or announced to the world they were heading into free agency and wouldn't re-sign. So the Flames had to trade most of them to get what they could.

Why is a mystery. I mean Calgary is a clean, safe City where the fans are passionate about their team. But the team is heading to the bottom of the standings this season, and the full-on teardown and rebuild is on in earnest. NHL fans in Cowtown do deserve better.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
The simple answer is that a lot of players simply don't want to re-sign there for reasons that are completely mystifying to me. Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Zadorov, Markstrom, Hamilton, Fox and Hanifin either got traded or announced to the world they were heading into free agency and wouldn't re-sign. So the Flames had to trade most of them to get what they could.

Why is a mystery. I mean Calgary is a clean, safe City where the fans are passionate about their team. But the team is heading to the bottom of the standings this season, and the full-on teardown and rebuild is on in earnest. NHL fans in Cowtown do deserve better.
@RobertKron

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
@VanJack Zadorov wanted to re-sign but when they wouldn’t negotiate he asked for a trade. Lindholm wanted out after Gaudreau and Tkachuk left. Markstrom didn’t want to be traded and only waived his NTC when they asked him. Fox also didn’t sign in Carolina and only wanted to play in New York. The Flames chose to not re-sign Hamilton and leaked that he didn’t fit in the locker room.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
@VanJack Zadorov wanted to re-sign but when they wouldn’t negotiate he asked for a trade. Lindholm wanted out after Gaudreau and Tkachuk left. Markstrom didn’t want to be traded and only waived his NTC when they asked him. Fox also didn’t sign in Carolina and only wanted to play in New York. The Flames chose to not re-sign Hamilton and leaked that he didn’t fit in the locker room.
That Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tkachuk line was eerily reminiscent of the WCE line. In my opinion anyway.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Could be wrong but I think Calgary has the worst facility and locker room in the entire league. I think that plays a part in top tier players staying long term. A new arena is desperately needed.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Could be wrong but I think Calgary has the worst facility and locker room in the entire league. I think that plays a part in top tier players staying long term. A new arena is desperately needed.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

Part of it is that Calgary isn't a particularly exciting city if you're younger. Ignoring what man-children with anime avatars have to say, Calgary is a fine city. But guys like Tkachuk (and to a lesser extent Gaudreau) didn't have a lot going on for them as young dudes. More down-to-earth guys or people who have established families (eg, Kipper, Glencross, Iginla) tend to stick around. It's also hard to attract that talent through free agency, as 'family guys' have tended to establish themselves elsewhere.

Part of it is that the Flames are poorly run. Whether it was Sutter trading for Olli Jokinen again and again, their drafting being decidedly meh, or ownership being hardasses with money (there's some bad blood behind the scenes), it's led to a team that's been pretty mediocre for 20 years. There's been no real high points for the Flames since 03-04 and that mythical Cup run. Yeah, they've had a few good seasons, but there's been no sustained success.

Also, Flames fans are pretty wishy-washy and fairweather. I say this as someone who has lived in the city for long stretches pre-and-post 03/04. There is a dedicated core, but I'd argue it lags behind most other Canadian cities when times are tough (aside from maybe the Sens.)

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Hockey doesn't really mean as much to everybody these days as many people struggle to survive these days.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I don’t think it’s insane. McDavid and Draisaitl had one of the best playoff runs in history rivaled only by 92’ Lemieux and 88’ and 93’ Gretzky that year. I don’t think Calgary would’ve won it that year anyways though because Colorado was just insane.

Talent wise and depth wise that 22’ iteration of the Flames was great and had they remained together would’ve definitely challenged for a cup. Florida wasn’t even impressive and nearly gave us one of the greatest choke jobs in sports history against a battered McDrai. They would also be Tkachuk’less.
This is just a bunch of unsupported assertions using firm 'definitely' language.

That team in 2022 was good, but it was also riding a line having an insane season, with a coach who burns players out quickly and they fell apart in spectacular fashion.

Now, you saying that you believe that if they had stayed together and made the right moves then they could have challenged for the cup is fine.

But saying they definitely would have is just...bizarre.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
This is just a bunch of unsupported assertions using firm 'definitely' language.

That team in 2022 was good, but it was also riding a line having an insane season, with a coach who burns players out quickly and they fell apart in spectacular fashion.

Now, you saying that you believe that if they had stayed together and made the right moves then they could have challenged for the cup is fine.

But saying they definitely would have is just...bizarre.
I believe then.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad