Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
And the annual Jim Benning Worst GM award has been awarded to...Steve Staios!

Chychrun traded away for peanuts.
The Sens are a hot mess right now and had a horrible draft day leaving tons of skill on the table for size.

I also have zero idea why the Bruins signed Zadorov when Mason Lohrei is probably ready for top 4 duty on the left side.

Reactions: mossey3535

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Sens are a hot mess right now and had a horrible draft day leaving tons of skill on the table for size.

I also have zero idea why the Bruins signed Zadorov when Mason Lohrei is probably ready for top 4 duty on the left side.
No clue why the Sens got that aggressive to land Debrincat and JC when they didn’t have an owner. The melnyk daughters were not interested in owning the team. Both trades they end up with 12th and like 7th worst records.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
deals i do not understand at all

edmondson
monahan
zucker
chycrun trade

signings i understand but are bad

oel
tanev
stephenson
cole
perron
wennberg
toffoli
lafferty

signings that are probably bad but could be good

stamkos
arvidson
montour

Reactions: quat and mossey3535

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

edmondson
monahan
zucker
chycrun trade

signings i understand but are bad

oel
tanev
stephenson
cole
perron
wennberg
toffoli
lafferty

signings that are probably bad but could be good

stamkos
arvidson
montour
Arvidsson will fit very well with Hyman and McDavid if he's healthy. His technical skill and effort level are at least equivalent to Hyman's and I could see a similar jump in production.

That is a ton of money up front for Slafkovsky.
I was surprised at first but how low could they have gone on him? He's a true power forward that just put up 50 points at 19-20 years old. This could be a great contract.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
We also have t

O give it a little bit of time and it was such a disaster in Arizona and the move to Utah is a positive one IMO and Salt Lake is a great city and it makes the western road trip for Eastern teams so much more interesting and beneficial for Vegas as teams will have more incentive to party in Vegas.
I agree. I think SLC is a great place. The city and state are committed to the endeavor which will really help things.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Not really as his progression the last 2 years has been excellent and it could very well be a bargain contract in the next several years.

Edmonton will. And they'll probably sign Carter Hart too.
If the NHL reinstates Hart why wouldn't they for hockey reasons?

Sister wives is the new tax free talking point
In part why basketball failed in Vancouver.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
How many players did Fla lose today?

So Weird winning the cup a week ago, having parade yesterday and then losing a bunch of players to other teams today.

Lomberg. Montour, OEL, Stolarz, Stenlund, soon Tarasenko. Okposo and Cousins?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
How many players did Fla lose today?

So Weird winning the cup a week ago, having parade yesterday and then losing a bunch of players to other teams today.

Lomberg. Montour, OEL, Stolarz, Stenlund, soon Tarasenko. Okposo and Cousins?
I've said this a few times before, but try to imagine you're Al MacNeil. You're a NHL rookie head coach & win the Cup (largely as a result of going with your decision to go with a backup goalie [Ken Dryden] instead of the legendary Rogie Vachon). Then get told "sorry Al but you're coaching on our farm club next season because guys like Henri Richard don't like you".

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've said this a few times before, but try to imagine you're Al MacNeil. You're a NHL rookie head coach & win the Cup (largely as a result of going with your decision to go with a backup goalie [Ken Dryden] instead of the legendary Rogie Vachon). Then get told "sorry Al but you're coaching on our farm club next season because guys like Henri Richard don't like you".

Ironically he was replaced by Scotty Bowman, who the veterans would hate even more. And who would win even more.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

edmondson
monahan
zucker
chycrun trade

Not sure why they didn't just keep Skinner but I could understand the Zucker signing. It's a one year deal for a vet who provides leadership. Could flip him at the deadline. Buffalo has lots of cap room so why not.

Monahan I guess they wanted a 2C. Monahan seems to have resurrected his career. Reunites him with Gaudreau.

Not sure about the others. Chychrun. Does he have no value? Or Ottawa that desperate for a RD? If so, couldn't they just pony up and sign Dhillon?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rolling the dice. Have 4 years into this contract to decide whether to buy him out if he doesn't perform at 1/3. Quick check, he's getting front loaded as you said. Salary for the final 4 years when the buyout is 1/3 is only $6 mill. Thus dead cap of $2.6 mill for 4 years then down to $1 mill for the final 4. Have to make up that $1.6 mill per that they front load him in years 1-4 of the deal. Can see the lower risk for Slaf. Getting basically an AAV of $9.2 mill for the first 4 seasons then $6 mill for the final 4.

They are following the Ott lead. Suzuki and Caulfield both got the max term coming off elc. Think both signed early as well.

It's a smart move for the smaller markets to tie up their guys coming out of elc. But, as Ott has shown, that's step 1. As you need to build the rest of the roster and if you don't do it right, time flies fast. Chabot is 4 years into his max deal, then everyone is a year less into it from Tkachuck, Norris, Stutzle, and Sanderson starts his this upcoming season.

Habs, Suzuki is through 2 years and Caulfield 1 year of their max term deal. Slaf won't begin his until 25/26 season. But, they still need a goaltender long term and need to figure out which of their young D will be part of their blueline moving forward. So, still lots to do.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
No clue why the Sens got that aggressive to land Debrincat and JC when they didn’t have an owner. The melnyk daughters were not interested in owning the team. Both trades they end up with 12th and like 7th worst records.
I honestly think they did not understand DeBrincats RFA qualifying offer poison pill.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I honestly think they did not understand DeBrincats RFA qualifying offer poison pill.
Just wonder who called the shots to get aggressive. I can see the logic with their top guys like Chabot entering year 3 of his long term contract and everyone else a year behind and going. But, to go after 2 guys who needed new deals very soon and then ultimately playing poorly both seasons, just a terrible outcome for a team that had been building a solid base.

DCat move never understood. He was a luxury add not a need. Even with JC, if Chabot and Sanderson (who was like 20 odd games away from getting a max term deal) are going to be your top paid LHD, why get another LHD that you would need to pay shortly? Makes no sense.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well that was a fairly short time out in the corner. You know, ethically, morally and legally speaking.

I'm on board with forgiving people, but there's still a place for real punishment for real crimes. This is both embarrassing and a harmful.
Overall, not surprised in the end. For Q, all of the HC spots are taken, and I just don't see Q as a fit in CBS just because he turns 66 in Sept. Bowness who was 69 going on 70 stepped down. So, he's not a fit for a team that has some building to do. So, he will start the season on the sidelines. Question is whether one of the top clubs falters like EDM did, would they call Q? His runway is nearing an end. Plus, there are clubs that don't want to deal with the PR of hiring him. In reality, this timing on July 1 was the best way for the NHL to get him reinstated, but not let him have a job this upcoming season.

Bowman, he's like 52 or something like that. Young, but the baldness ages him where I thought he was pushing 60. Kind of knew he'd be permitted back at some point.

June 30, NJ and PHI decline QO on Hart, McLeod, and Foote while the next day, the NHL reinstates Q and Bowman, McIsaac.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad