Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Beautiful. Losing in a tight game 7 is so much more devastating than a sweep and their offseason is toast now.

xen00ifbum8d1.jpeg

tenor.gif

udwfb17j0n8d1.png

oilers suck.jpg

image0-gif.886744

Soups On said:
If the rest of Canada wasn't a bunch of bitches when it came to the the 2011 Canucks, maybe I wouldn't be so anti Canadian team. Something something forming years.
This is 100% what it is for me too. I will never forget how Edmonton and the rest of Canada treated our 2011 team and that's why their loss is so sweet.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If the rest of Canada wasn't a bunch of bitches when it came to the the 2011 Canucks, maybe I wouldn't be so anti Canadian team. Something something forming years.

Glad Florida sealed the deal.

Also some of these takes I'm seeing on McDavid are brain-dead. The man carried the Oilers back to existence and even though he didn't score, he still generated high quality chances with insane coverage on him. If Hyman and RNH showed up to, I dunno, use the extra ice that McDavid was drawing for just existing - this would've been a different game.

The best part about all of this is if it isn't next year, I don't see the Oilers getting back to the finals. The Nurse contract is a killer and both Drai and Bouchard will need new deals.

I wouldn’t say I’m anti-Canadian team - I tend to root for whichever teams have the most ex Canucks that I like on them to begin with. A team being from Canada is irrelevant to me and I won’t root for them “just because” after 2011. Utter nonsense how our team got treated by the rest of the country.

I found a lot of Edmonton’s assorted hangers on - press and some fans - insufferable. And I can’t abide Kane and Perry. They have some unbelievable talent and some likeable characters amongst them, that if it weren’t for the aforementioned characters, I might actually find endearing enough to cheer for. But they do have those characters, so I don’t.

I do respect what they did here. I have to eat some crow with respect to the Oilers’ game; they tightened up their team defense and did a significantly better job playing playoff hockey than I ever thought they could. And they finally had guys not named McDavid and Draisaitl doing heavy lifting. So props where it’s deserved. As a hockey fan, it made really good theater.

But I’m really, really glad this was the outcome.
More than anything, I wanted Luongo to get his Cup. And if there’s a Canadian team to bring the Cup back north of the border, yes I’m petty, I f***ing want it to be us.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I wouldn’t say I’m anti-Canadian team - I tend to root for whichever teams have the most ex Canucks that I like on them to begin with. A team being from Canada is irrelevant to me and I won’t root for them “just because” after 2011. Utter nonsense how our team got treated by the rest of the country.

I found a lot of Edmonton’s assorted hangers on - press and some fans - insufferable. And I can’t abide Kane and Perry. They have some unbelievable talent and some likeable characters amongst them, that if it weren’t for the aforementioned characters, I might actually find endearing enough to cheer for. But they do have those characters, so I don’t.

I do respect what they did here. I have to eat some crow with respect to the Oilers’ game; they tightened up their team defense and did a significantly better job playing playoff hockey than I ever thought they could. And they finally had guys not named McDavid and Draisaitl doing heavy lifting. So props where it’s deserved. As a hockey fan, it made really good theater.

But I’m really, really glad this was the outcome.
More than anything, I wanted Luongo to get his Cup. And if there’s a Canadian team to bring the Cup back north of the border, yes I’m petty, I f***ing want it to be us.
I have no issue giving the Oilers their props but I think this was the year for them to do it. A lot went right for them.

As for the Canada aspect, I would have zero issue with Winnipeg, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary winning tbh

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The best part about all of this is if it isn't next year, I don't see the Oilers getting back to the finals. The Nurse contract is a killer and both Drai and Bouchard will need new deals.
Quick gander on the EDM board, blaming the ice. Ice was going to bad in most arenas now. Heat wave in NE USA, so any of NYR, NYI, NJ, PHI, BOS, probably wasn't going to be good either.

Like the NFL playing SB on that grass field in AZ 2 years ago. They are just pressing their luck with the finals going to the 24th of June.

NHL isn't going to change. I mean, we are probably within 5 years of the NFL added 2 more weeks onto their schedule for a 2nd bye week and game 18. So, late Feb is when the SB will be played.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Really happy to see Lu lift the cup and get in the team shot. Legendary interview from Paul Maurice. Tkachuk's tribute to Calgary/shot at edmonton with the smirk was hilarious.
On the one hand, guaranteed finals. On the other hand, final losses.

Sign him and then cut him from the team right after clinching the WCF before game 1 SCF

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Quick gander on the EDM board, blaming the ice. Ice was going to bad in most arenas now. Heat wave in NE USA, so any of NYR, NYI, NJ, PHI, BOS, probably wasn't going to be good either.

Like the NFL playing SB on that grass field in AZ 2 years ago. They are just pressing their luck with the finals going to the 24th of June.

NHL isn't going to change. I mean, we are probably within 5 years of the NFL added 2 more weeks onto their schedule for a 2nd bye week and game 18. So, late Feb is when the SB will be played.
FLA played on the same ice lol

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I have no issue giving the Oilers their props but I think this was the year for them to do it. A lot went right for them.

As for the Canada aspect, I would have zero issue with Winnipeg, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary winning tbh

I agree a lot went right for them, but that’s pretty much how it has to go for anything to go deep. Luck with injuries, luck with opponents, luck with guys getting hot - and then you have to be really good on top of all that.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I agree a lot went right for them, but that’s pretty much how it has to go for anything to go deep. Luck with injuries, luck with opponents, luck with guys getting hot - and then you have to be really good on top of all that.
Yup. Hard to get there and lucky to ever get back. McDavid went nuclear but disappeared in the biggest game. That’s hockey to a tee.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Just got a notification of my ten years here :yo:

Got a ban til recently, just like my 5 year anniversary here :yo:

Man I love this result tonight :yo:

Love you all :yo:

Still stand by my words. Down with racism down with Hyman :yo:

Man I love this team :yo:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is 100% what it is for me too. I will never forget how Edmonton and the rest of Canada treated our 2011 team and that's why their loss is so sweet.

It isn’t just how they treated our 2011 team.

It’s that most of this fanbase (including myself) cheered for the Oilers in 2006 when they made the Finals. It was a nice story from where they were a few years prior when it looked like they’d move and I was genuinely hoping for them to do well.

That’s what made their raw, visceral hate for us in 2011 so disgusting, and after that I swore I’d never cheer for them again under any circumstances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad