Around the League Thread | Conference Final Edition | Go Tanev and Bobby Lu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Ya I'd rather play Dallas than Colorado. No disrespect to Dallas but I feel we just match up better.
do we really though.? they got depth. defense is good. otteniger same level as demko "when healthy" expect low scoring games if the matchup becomes reality depending on the game tomorrow. if petey somehow wakes up and start being a ppg. dallas has some young guns especially stankoven/johnson/robertson who can fire the puck

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Who from the Benning era made it as a skater that needed ahl time? Forsling wasn’t nhl ready when he arrived in Chicago.

Bo, Brock, Petey, Hughes, to even Stecher and Hutton didn’t go through the A.
I'll try not to pretend like Benning would have done things differently during his tenure but the advantage that PA got was Abbotsford. It has been huge for recruitment and development. Forsling played parts of 4 seasons in the AHL. If the development was different at that time in Utica, some of others would have been better off spending more time in the A and might have had a better shot at the NHL.

Players from the Benning era that played in the A are
Virtanen, McCann, Forsling, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Hoglander, Podkolzin. Those are players that have played 100 plus NHL games. There are some others that have NHL games.

Last edited:

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Ya I'd rather play Dallas than Colorado. No disrespect to Dallas but I feel we just match up better.
Dallas was 2-1-0 against Vancouver during the regular season, losing 2-0 on the road on Nov. 4, and winning 4-3 in overtime at home on Dec. 21 and 3-1 on the road on March 28.

Many have mentioned they are a team very similar in many ways to Van. 3 lines deep and solid top 6 D and a goalie that can stop a puck.

Edmonton and Colorado very top heavy, shallow on D and a goalie who can't stop as many pucks as they should.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'll try not to pretend like Benning would have done things differently during his tenure but the advantage that PA got was Abbotsford. It has been huge for recruitment and development. Forsling played parts of 4 seasons in the AHL. If the development was different at that time in Utica, some of others would have been better off spending more time in the A and might have had a better shot at the NHL.

Players from the Benning era that played in the A are
Virtanen, McCann, Forsling, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Hoglander, Podkolzin. Those are players that have played 100 plus NHL games. There are some others that have NHL games.
Organizationally, it does show how poorly connected the Canucks were with the Kings, Ducks, Sharks when those clubs moved their AHL teams from the East Coast to California about a year after the Canucks extended their agreement in Utica. You'd think those clubs would have wanted more teams in the west coast, so they'd speak with all of the PST/MST time zoned NHL teams about doing that with their AHL affiliates at the time.

I just don't believe Forsling playing under Cull would have developed into an NHL player. The track record of prospects that played for Cull is just bad, when it comes to development into NHL skater. He helped virtually no one get better.

Reactions: mossey3535

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
man duchene very determined to get his revenge on colorado

Kelly Sutherland is boarding the private jet and en route to Edmonton now. See you for game 7

1716048832878.gif

Reactions: DS7

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Organizationally, it does show how poorly connected the Canucks were with the Kings, Ducks, Sharks when those clubs moved their AHL teams from the East Coast to California about a year after the Canucks extended their agreement in Utica. You'd think those clubs would have wanted more teams in the west coast, so they'd speak with all of the PST/MST time zoned NHL teams about doing that with their AHL affiliates at the time.

I just don't believe Forsling playing under Cull would have developed into an NHL player. The track record of prospects that played for Cull is just bad, when it comes to development into NHL skater. He helped virtually no one get better.
I don't lay much blame on Cull. It's not as if he was given NHL talented players to develop. AHL coaches can't make water into wine. There still has to be some substance behind the player before they get there. Forsling played his draft plus 1 and 2 full time in the SHL, from that he would easily probably be the best defensive prospect that Cull would have seen. Cull also had to coach to win, not develop as Utica was not property of the Canucks. Green also produced nothing into the NHL.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
From the sounds of it at the deadline we were going to flip Zadorov if we acquired Tanev so I don't think this Tanev-instead-of-Cole thing is the most accurate.

Thank God we didn't.

General Zad will not be pleased.

Reactions: quat

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
From the sounds of it at the deadline we were going to flip Zadorov if we acquired Tanev so I don't think this Tanev-instead-of-Cole thing is the most accurate.
I’ve always wondered if they had talks regarding trading Cole to make space since he has positive value.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
selke voting results

jtm gets one first place bite

garland on multiple ballots for some reason

petey with a few bottom of ballot voted
The presence of a bunch of leafs for Selke makes me doubt these peoples qualifications.

Lots of wild votes, it's almost like without Bergeron they don't know who to vote for.

The Dallas media makes fun of Jamie Benn for basically not giving a shit about defense.

Jason Dickinson? Enough said. Because Chicago gave up so few goals this year...

Jordan Staal is supposedly pretty bad now, talk about running on reputation.

Reactions: quat and I am toxic

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

IMO he choked the Wranglers playoff chances away. Completely flamed out, not much structure in their game similar to the old Utica teams. They got a bunch of guys back too since the flames didn't make the playoffs. They went way downhill in the standings, Matt coronato didn't really develop. All the guys who were graduated to the flames basically started doing so the previous year under Love.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The presence of a bunch of leafs for Selke makes me doubt these peoples qualifications.

Lots of wild votes, it's almost like without Bergeron they don't know who to vote for.

The Dallas media makes fun of Jamie Benn for basically not giving a shit about defense.

Jason Dickinson? Enough said. Because Chicago gave up so few goals this year...

Jordan Staal is supposedly pretty bad now, talk about running on reputation.
Most of those guys are worthy of votes. This a nothingburger.

Matthews is a no doubt Selke candidate. Marner is a high-end defensive winger that deserves some votes. Staal is definitely slowing down, but defensive impacts are still strong. The on-ice impacts Dickinson had in Chicago is really a minor miracle, quite impressive.

Benn yeah, should not have any votes. But whatever, local media always throw a guy from the home team a few down-ballot votes.

And in the end, Barkov was the runaway leader. Completely fine.

Reactions: gsharpe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad