Post-Game Talk: Around the league: Playoffs IV | Let's Go Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuues!!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He didn’t. Neither did Jensen turn out like Rackell, Schroeder like ROR, etc down the line.

Jumbo Joe is at most 6th now the sharks forward list behind Pavs, Couture, Hertl, Kane, Meier, 4 of which they drafted.

Boston they nailed big in 2014 and 2016 drafts. They would be freaking scary if they. Nailed 2015 as well.
And Henrik and Daniel would've been 4 and 5 on this roster this past season. That's the point.

Carnal

May 29, 2018
Will Macavoy get suspended longer than 4 games? Unlikely.
It's like a reverse justice to the screw up the league did to end the Golden Knights' season. The refs originally looked like they were going to give him 5 and a game which could have been a huge momentum swinger, but perhaps thought about it, refused to look at replays, and hoped and prayed a 2 minute minor would be the right call.

Vegas and Columbus get screwed, Boston and San Jose take advantage... classic Canuck enemy luck :skeptic:

Reactions: CanuckCity

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And Henrik and Daniel would've been 4 and 5 on this roster this past season. That's the point.
If the twins are 4/5 on a roster that’s not good unless you have really high end guys in the top 3.

Just simply no chance that the Canucks were a retool team. Their core guys were too old to wait out a retool and still be big contributors afterwards.

In 2015/2016 Bergeron was 30/31. He’s 34 and still elite. Same draft as Kesler and Pavs. Kesler his injuries are doing him in. Many of the 2003 draft class are no longer elite guys. Some are still very good but Bergeron is likely the guy who is playing at the highest level still.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
If the twins are 4/5 on a roster that’s not good unless you have really high end guys in the top 3.

Just simply no chance that the Canucks were a retool team. Their core guys were too old to wait out a retool and still be big contributors afterwards.

In 2015/2016 Bergeron was 30/31. He’s 34 and still elite. Same draft as Kesler and Pavs. Kesler his injuries are doing him in. Many of the 2003 draft class are no longer elite guys. Some are still very good but Bergeron is likely the guy who is playing at the highest level still.
There was definitely a chance. You can't just dismiss that.

Hank and Danny are 2 years younger than Jumbo. It was possible.....the execution here has been a failure at every turn.

I get that the Canucks were older than the Bruins, but the idea that it was inevitable the Canucks would be among the very worst teams in the league over the last 4 seasons is just not true. I guess that's what happens when the lens we view this team through is the eyes of Jim Benning.

Reactions: vancityluongo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There was definitely a chance. You can't just dismiss that.

Hank and Danny are 2 years younger than Jumbo. It was possible.....the execution here has been a failure at every turn.

I get that the Canucks were older than the Bruins, but the idea that it was inevitable the Canucks would be among the very worst teams in the league over the last 4 seasons is just not true. I guess that's what happens when the lens we view this team through is the eyes of Jim Benning.
Possible of course. Likely not really. Twins were not good defensively near the end.

If you draft well and make the right moves they would be further along than they are now. But they simply held onto their guys too long and had rose coloured glasses when assessing the quality of the team a few years back vs say NYR a year or so ago when they sent that letter to their fans about rebuilding.

Each player ages differently. Boston and SJ have guys from 2003 that are playing very well in Bergeron, Pavs, Burns. Plenty of others have taken major steps back since their hay day 5 years ago.

Carnal

May 29, 2018
I hope everyone who wanted Toronto to lose in the first round is sucking on a lemon now that Boston will be going to the ECF.
I think I would prefer Boston to win a cup than Toronto win a playoff round. I think..... although I do feel dirty saying Boston and Cup together.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I think I would prefer Boston to win a cup than Toronto win a playoff round. I think..... although I do feel dirty saying Boston and Cup together.
That's probably because we would hear more about Toronto winning a single playoff round than Boston winning an actual cup. Just imagine Sportsnet segments...

"HAS THE DYNASTY BEGUN? Let's go over to Ron MacLean for more."

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Possible of course. Likely not really. Twins were not good defensively near the end.

If you draft well and make the right moves they would be further along than they are now. But they simply held onto their guys too long and had rose coloured glasses when assessing the quality of the team a few years back vs say NYR a year or so ago when they sent that letter to their fans about rebuilding.

Each player ages differently. Boston and SJ have guys from 2003 that are playing very well in Bergeron, Pavs, Burns. Plenty of others have taken major steps back since their hay day 5 years ago.
The Twins were surrounded by shit at the end. The point is that they could be better and could've retooled with better execution.

The current management group couldn't manage themselves out of a wet paper bag, which is a major reason why the team is still bad.

Each player ages differently, but Daniel was a 20+ goal 50+ point guy, on a terrible team with no wingers. I think they'd have made the team better this past season.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i find myself rooting for colorado this playoff even though my brain does not want that franchise to break through and become a major canuck rival.

not sure if it is just that i have less track record with these guys, but i am definitely getting sucked in and starting to pay attention to a lot of guys. hopefully they lose a heartbreaker next game and i can tune out.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
The Twins were surrounded by **** at the end. The point is that they could be better and could've retooled with better execution.

The current management group couldn't manage themselves out of a wet paper bag, which is a major reason why the team is still bad.

Each player ages differently, but Daniel was a 20+ goal 50+ point guy, on a terrible team with no wingers. I think they'd have made the team better this past season.

Not screwing up the virtanen pick, acquiring future assets like theodore instead of garbage like sbisa in the kesler trade, getting anything of value for guys like Miller, vrbata, hamhuis and the team would be so much better off today.

The team is garbage because benning is a garbage GM with no eye for talent.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
i find myself rooting for colorado this playoff even though my brain does not want that franchise to break through and become a major canuck rival.

not sure if it is just that i have less track record with these guys, but i am definitely getting sucked in and starting to pay attention to a lot of guys. hopefully they lose a heartbreaker next game and i can tune out.

Better get used to Colorado being being better than the Canucks for a long time...great young talent with more on the way

Reactions: CanuckCity

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not screwing up the virtanen pick, acquiring future assets like theodore instead of garbage like sbisa in the kesler trade, getting anything of value for guys like Miller, vrbata, hamhuis and the team would be so much better off today.

The team is garbage because benning is a garbage GM with no eye for talent.
The moves they made were designed to make them a better team in the here and now for the Twins. But they didn’t work. Simply the twins were aging and the team needed to see that and move past the twins like the rangers did with King Henrik. Sucks that he has to see good friends get moved but the management group did what was in the best interests of the team rather than a HOF player.

Why take a 24 year of Scisba over 19 year old Theodore? Theodore finally arrived as a regular with LV but was up and down with Anaheim because they were so deep in D. Didn’t throw in the towel sooner in 2016 cause they wanted to make the playoffs for them.

Not blaming the twins. Unfortunately their presence just discoloured ownership and management seeing where the club truly was. That’s on aqua man.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Better get used to Colorado being being better than the Canucks for a long time...great young talent with more on the way

i prefer to remain optimistic until i see their best guys can drive play on different lines. for now they are an upgunned west coast express team with a goalie and makar as a wildcard. quinn vs. makar could be an interesting horse race even if makar has had a great start.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The moves they made were designed to make them a better team in the here and now for the Twins. But they didn’t work. Simply the twins were aging and the team needed to see that and move past the twins like the rangers did with King Henrik. Sucks that he has to see good friends get moved but the management group did what was in the best interests of the team rather than a HOF player.

Why take a 24 year of Scisba over 19 year old Theodore? Theodore finally arrived as a regular with LV but was up and down with Anaheim because they were so deep in D. Didn’t throw in the towel sooner in 2016 cause they wanted to make the playoffs for them.

Not blaming the twins. Unfortunately their presence just discoloured ownership and management seeing where the club truly was. That’s on aqua man.
Why take 19 year old Theodore, the recent 1st, local kid, dominating the Dub, just putting the finishing touches on winning world juniors on the shutdown pair than the 24 year old who was 9th on the Ducks depth chart at the time? Are you kidding me?

I think it's absolutely insane people act like Aqua man was dictating the execution....the direction was to re-tool....Benning's execution of that direction was pathetically abysmal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why take 19 year old Theodore, the recent 1st, local kid, dominating the Dub, just putting the finishing touches on winning world juniors on the shutdown pair than the 24 year old who was 9th on the Ducks depth chart at the time? Are you kidding me?

I think it's absolutely insane people act like Aqua man was dictating the execution....the direction was to re-tool....Benning's execution of that direction was pathetically abysmal.
My point was that management didn’t want to wait for the prospects to develop this they made all of their decisions about trying to be better immediately. Theodore was 19 at the time of the Kesler trade. He spent another year in the W and the next 2 up and down in the A. With the twins time winding down they weren’t interested in waiting for him to contribute.

Again it all comes down to their assessment at the time of the team. They were clearly wrong in expecting the team to be good for those years. Had they opted to take the hit and play the long game they would be better off.

I personally don’t believe a retool with the twins made sense in 2014. They were 15 past their draft. Bergeron in 2018 when the Bruins were a top team was 15 pst his draft when their retool was complete not starting.

Canucks needing to think past the sedins which they couldn’t so opted for lower end immediate help rather than higher ceiling guys whom they needed to wait for.

Last edited:

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there

I can still never like Colorado because of their free Cup in their first year. They still need to suffer more.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
On Holland: I think it can go either way, but it rarely seems to work when teams go out and get their perfect guy for some reason. I guess even though a lot of the time they are good GMs, they take all their clout and make big bold moves that fail a lot of the time. Or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad