GDT: Around the League | '22-'23 II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Personally, I'd rather play Vegas or Dallas (or even the Avs) in the first round over LA, and at the moment that would mean landing a WC spot. That's not to say any of them are going to be easy. Though I think if LA gets good goaltending they're going to be very hard for any team to knockout. Minny is another team I'd want to avoid, and it is very possible they could win the Central division.

In any event, as much as the OOT scoreboard has sucked, we just need to win our fair share of games, and I think any team that is a serious playoff threat is going to do that to close out the regular season anyway.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
It’s odd but I’m of the mindset that I don’t really care who we play. I think we have a team that can beat anyone. The only one that gives me a little pause is LA because they have a grudge.

Otherwise no point thinking too much. Just get in and see where the chips fall
I think we can beat anyone but also lose to anyone haha.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Benn would own us in the playoffs so yes, I would like to avoid facing Dallas as well

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
It's amazing how shitty the OOT scoreboard has been the last couple of weeks. None of these teams lose and when they do, it's either in OT or shootout (like L.A./Nashville last night in particular).

It doesn't matter because the Oilers need to just focus on winning games but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

It doesn't really matter. All these opponents are pretty similar level and home ice doesn't mean much. Just get into the dance and go from there.
And it continues...at least Arizona took a point awy from MIN tonight.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
LA getting decent goaltending spells trouble for any team that faces them in the West.

Korpisalo is 92.9% since he arrived in LA... of course small sample of just 2 games... but it's a game changer if they have 2 goalies that are 90%+ going forward.

They managed to completely turn around their goaltending disaster that was Quick/Petersen that was basically the worst 1-2 goalies in the league to something that is now at least average... probably above average if Korpisalo keeps playing like he is... all for a combined salary cap of $2.125 million between Korps and Copley.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
...and just to screw the Oilers over some more (because it's a good chance Oilers will face one of LA or Vegas)... Quick is playing out of his mind now and has found the fountain of youth somehow in Vegas... 93.9% so far with them.

Vegas might have 5 goalies better than the Oilers...

Last edited:

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
LA getting decent goaltending spells trouble for any team that faces them in the West.

Korpisalo is 92.9% since he arrived in LA... of course small sample of just 2 games... but it's a game chamger if they have 2 goalies that are 90%+ going forward.

They managed to completly turn around their goaltending disaster that was Quick/Petersen that was basically the worst 1-2 goalies in the league to something that is now at least average... probably above average if Korpisalo keeps playing like he is... all for a combined salary cap of $2.125 million between Korps and Copley.
Don't forget their still counting $3,875,000 towards the cap on Petersen, so $6 million on goaltending.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Preds choked away the game then won it in OT so they leapfrog Calgary based on winning percentage.

...and just to screw the Oilers over some more (because it's a good chance Oilers will face one of LA or Vegas)... Quick is playing out of his mind now and has found the fountain of youth somehow in Vegas... 93.9% so far with them.

Vegas might have 5 goalies better than the Oilers...
Even Markstrom looks like last season-Markstrom again over Calgarys last 6 or 7 games. I'm hoping it's too little, too late though.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I find it funny how Huberdeau and Kadri both achieving the monumental feat of scoring two points each in the same game is cause for celebration in Calgary.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
Puljujarvi has stifled Carolina's entire offense. I don't know if that's true, but they haven't scored a goal in 5 periods since they dressed him.
Who cares? He is a defensive Juggernaut. Media said this after the Oiler Twitter nerds did.

There are two WC spots. Oilers will be taking one of them. Time to stop worrying about if the Jets or Preds win, JMO.

If they’re worried about them then they don’t deserve to make the playoffs as those are two highly flawed clubs at this time
We have holes, but if we are worried about anybody we play, what is the point? I am just going to sit back and enjoy it. I think we are toast from goaltending and some of our D anyways, but I also think these guys can get hot.

I am looking forward to the summer to turn us into a contender. We are not a contender at all yet. VERY close. Not there.

Reactions: North and Ibanez

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Who cares? He is a defensive Juggernaut. Media said this after the Oiler Twitter nerds did.

We have holes, but if we are worried about anybody we play, what is the point? I am just going to sit back and enjoy it. I think we are toast from goaltending and some of our D anyways, but I also think these guys can get hot.

I am looking forward to the summer to turn us into a contender. We are not a contender at all yet. VERY close. Not there.
Yup. Bring on whoever. Good teams beat good teams.

We shouldn’t count on an easy road to the cup.

Look at Tampa a few years back. Crappy Columbus coming in and the bolts were licking their chops. 4 games later and bye bye bolts.

Let’s just make the playoffs and go from there…

I think we need 8 more wins to clinch.

Let’s gooooooo!!

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Good teams beating bad ones. Wish we could do that lol…

You mean Buffalo coming back on the Laughs, right? :sarcasm:

A lot of “good teams” seem to be giving up multi-goal leads in multiple games this season. Don’t remember it being like that as much any other recent season.

• Haha
Reactions: Ibanez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad