Around the League - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Woodcroft and Evason would be great in the Columbus.
Evason yes but Woodcroft? No.

Evason is exactly the kind of coach that will bring them where this franchise wants to be: in a playoff bubble spot.

Minny and CBJ are the two eternal playoff bubble teams. A year in, a year out...and keep walking that line.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Evason yes but Woodcroft? No.

Evason is exactly the kind of coach that will bring them where this franchise wants to be: in a playoff bubble spot.

Minny and CBJ are the two eternal playoff bubble teams. A year in, a year out...and keep walking that line.
I think Woodcroft is a decent coach. Obviously had a nightmare start to this year, but that was way more on goaltending than him imo.

McClellan… he’s just so meh to me.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Disagree, CBJ dreams of the level of success that the Wild have had. They've been perennial bottom feeders and probably have the worst overall record of any franchise that is actually trying (i.e. Arizona didn't count)

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
McLellan...bah. He'd likely get them to trap and slog the game enough to possibly make the postseason but he'll wear out his welcome fast.

Evason IMO would be the clear-cut best choice. Still kinda surprised Todd Nelson is still waiting around for a gig.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Disagree, CBJ dreams of the level of success that the Wild have had. They've been perennial bottom feeders and probably have the worst overall record of any franchise that is actually trying (i.e. Arizona didn't count)

When CBJ suck it's despite their effort. The last 2 seasons will greatly benefit them long term but they didn't want that at all.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think Woodcroft is a decent coach. Obviously had a nightmare start to this year, but that was way more on goaltending than him imo.

McClellan… he’s just so meh to me.
McLellan and Evason have the right coaching style for a team like that. Woodcroft I don't see a good match (I'm no coach expert though)

McLellan...bah. He'd likely get them to trap and slog the game enough to possibly make the postseason but he'll wear out his welcome fast.

Stop right there. Welcome to Columbus Todd!

J9MFPlf.png

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I dunno, I don't think the Jackets are that much worse on paper than the Wylde. Yes, they obviously have a proven superstar in Kaprizov, but the Jackets have horribly underachieved IMO to this point. If anyone is going to get the most out of them it's likely Evason.

Reactions: McMetal

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
For a team that sucks as badly as Columbus, they sure haven't been given many opportunities to draft franchise level talent. I mean, they gave an entire freaking generation of #1 OA picks to Edmonton and they're still going to get bounced by a team located in Sunrise f***ing Florida. Columbus got Rick Nash and nothing.

The real problem is on ownership and management equally. They have failed to do their job on selling the NHLPA on the market. That is the issue. If you haven't spent time in Columbus, you probably aren't going to think it's as nice as it is. It's the owner and the GMs job to sell their market. These guys really haven't.

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
For a team that sucks as badly as Columbus, they sure haven't been given many opportunities to draft franchise level talent.
Sucking and constantly patching holes instead of properly tanking will do that.

Last 2 seasons are a blessing though, last year they got a 1C and this year at #4 they can have either a superstar 1W, a big 2C or a 1D.

Those are good building blocks.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Budget teams do budget things. Columbus has a shaky financial situation where they need ticket sales. They experienced a long stretch of sucking to the point where they had significant financial issues. When they finally got good, they crawled out of that hole... thus far attendance has stabilized, but they likely can't stay bad forever and keep 16-17k in the stands. Nashville will do the same... better to stay on the playoff bubble occasionally win a round than to be bankrupt and maybe have a good team in 5-7 years.

The Avs are not as extreme, but they have moments of being very budget conscious.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Budget teams do budget things. Columbus has a shaky financial situation where they need ticket sales. They experienced a long stretch of sucking to the point where they had significant financial issues. When they finally got good, they crawled out of that hole... thus far attendance has stabilized, but they likely can't stay bad forever and keep 16-17k in the stands. Nashville will do the same... better to stay on the playoff bubble occasionally win a round than to be bankrupt and maybe have a good team in 5-7 years.

The Avs are not as extreme, but they have moments of being very budget conscious.

I for one was sort of impressed by how close the Avs could get to the upper ceiling and still suck so badly.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
For a team that sucks as badly as Columbus, they sure haven't been given many opportunities to draft franchise level talent. I mean, they gave an entire freaking generation of #1 OA picks to Edmonton and they're still going to get bounced by a team located in Sunrise f***ing Florida. Columbus got Rick Nash and nothing.
I don't disagree in broad strokes, but on the other hand, the Jackets had the #4 pick in arguably the best draft year of the modern era and somehow ended up with Nikolai Zherdev

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I tend to root for underdogs, and have a soft spot for teams that can't catch a break. At least up until they start winning. For example, this year will be my last feeling any sort of lingering sympathy for Florida. Buffalo is still (and might always be) in the Pity Zone.

But CBJ? I don't know if it's because they've been so inept for so long or if it's still got something to do with their fans after the Foote debacle, but I just can't muster any sort of support for them. The pity is replaced by something akin to spite.

The best thing I think they've done in their entire sad existence is when they kept their UFAs to make an ill-fated run a few years ago. Yes, it was a dumb idea, but that franchise needed to at least pretend it had a shot.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I tend to root for underdogs, and have a soft spot for teams that can't catch a break. At least up until they start winning. For example, this year will be my last feeling any sort of lingering sympathy for Florida. Buffalo is still (and might always be) in the Pity Zone.
I’ve done this for years also. In fact, it’s how I became an Avs (Nordiques) fan in the first place, back in the late 80s/early 90s.

I haven’t had a “pity team” in awhile, I suspect because the Avs were a pity team themselves for damn near a decade. And I can’t get on board with Detroit/Chicago/San Jose, because they haven’t been really bad for long enough after being so good. (Well, maybe I can’t get on board with Detroit……..just because).

Buffalo is definitely a possibility. Maybe Ottawa. Arizona and Montreal as well. The way things look, Calgary might join the ranks soon.

Last edited:

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
Markstrom for kevin Bahl and 2025 first rounder. New Jersey finally has a goalie and maybe clagary can get out of perpetual mediocrity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad