Around the League 2018-19 Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I wonder if Dahlin was a Canuck and Pettersson was a Sabre if the media would consider Dahlin the clear Calder winner. He’s been unbelievable for the Sabres.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I wonder if Dahlin was a Canuck and Pettersson was a Sabre if the media would consider Dahlin the clear Calder winner. He’s been unbelievable for the Sabres.
Yeah, top pairing dman at 18. Arguably a #1 dman already. I’ll admit I thought he was getting overhyped but he’s lived up to it

Reactions: Paul4587

Frosted Tips

Zeglaf baby!
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
From Friedman's 31 thoughts:
10. Hallelujah at the AHL’s decision to make available ice-time data for its players. One consideration for Seattle’s affiliate? Palm Springs, Calif. There is no building now, so it will take some work. But it fits the AHL geographically.

During my two years of living there I probably met all of two hockey fans. I mean real fans who actually knew something about ice hockey, not the ones who just said "Yeah, Kings brah" (they were really sexy then), but didn't even know what icing is. There could be a market there since I came across with many winter birds from Canada and other more traditional hockey market states. All in all, I'd give it a thumb up. :thumbu:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Much like you guys always pass us in the 2nd half of the season to take the division, you're gunning to out-tank us in the 2nd half of this year. Got to get worse now so we can make sure that doesn't happen.

As for the 1st being low, it is funny that a low 1st is basically a high 2nd but a high 2nd gets talked about like a low 1st. It's another decent bite at the apple for a team that will not be contending anytime soon and especially not during the remainder of Muzzin's deal.
The Freeway series should be decided by having Phaneuf & Kesler do a 1 vs 1 shootout, fewest goals wins !

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
After 15 rounds it will still be 0 - 0.
It'll end when one of the goalies gets so bored he just lets one go in.

Kings win 1-0 when Phaneuf fires an inaccurate slapshot that ricochets off the boards & Gibson just watches it go in cause he's tired. Phaneuf celebrates but then remembers the goal won't be added to his regular season total of 0

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Wow lots of pieces moving between PIT and FLA.

"WTF, Tallon?" was my initial reaction, when I saw the trade announcement. However, after McKenzie tweeted that the Cats are "All-in" on Bobrovsky AND Panarin, the deal started to make a lot more sense.

Cats clear a good chunk of cap space for next year, while not downgrading too much in the present. FLA was in dire need of draft picks too, which they adressed in the deal. They should now have enough cap to fit at least one of the two Russians in...

PIT gets younger and gains long-term financial stability, while also not downgrading too much. The Pens are still competitive, so the picks they gave away don't matter much, plus they still have their 1st rounder in hand...

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
FLA are going to LTIR Luongo so they can go after BobrovskyCop.
Are you paying attention Murray? Gee i wonder if there is anyone on the Ducks roster he can LTIR to free up significant cap space ...

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I like that trade for the Pens. Bjugstad I think still has some untapped potential and Brassard has lost a few steps since going to the Pens.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Expiring contracts (he'll likely flip to get some value back) to create cap space to go after the Russians either now or July 1.

That's such a major key to me. Bjugstad seemed done there and is all over the place, McCann has never done anything and this might end up being pretty great returns for them. Already a second and two fourths, which IMO wouldn't have been totally terrible, and there's a decent chance for a lot more. If Brassard pops off then that might be enough to convince teams that Pittsburgh was the problem and he is who they thought he was last year. Sheahan should probably get back a mid-round pick or something too.

But obviously it's about cap space and if they can figure a couple more things out they could have plenty. Fixing their goaltending and adding a guy like Panarin could make them legit for next year.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
That deal could be a win-win trade, both sides got what they needed, at least on paper. Still need to see how Bjugstad performs in Pittsburgh and if Florida can trade Brassard and Sheahan for more picks. Even if not, they get rid of those guys after this season and have the money to go after big free agents.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

They probably would, but there would be less of an argument for it.

Dahlin has been terrific, but the Calder has always favored scoring forwards. If Pettersson is putting up the same numbers, and Dahlin is putting up the same numbers, I think Pettersson wins the Calder 10 times out of 10(based on where we are at this point in the season).

That being said, I do think Dahlin has been the most impressive rookie this season. I haven’t been able to watch as many games this season, but the Buffalo games I do see, he’s special.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Did Toronto just sign Matthews to a bridge deal worth $11.5M that sends him to UFA? Does that seem like a bad idea to anyone else?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Did Toronto just sign Matthews to a bridge deal worth $11.5M that sends him to UFA? Does that seem like a bad idea to anyone else?
I'm not sure. I think if he signed an 8 year deal, he would have gotten what McDavid got..and maybe more.

I think this is them trying to save some money over the next 5 years (their cup window). If they don't win a chip, it's definitely going to look bad

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm not sure. I think if he signed an 8 year deal, he would have gotten what McDavid got..and maybe more.

I think this is them trying to save some money over the next 5 years (their cup window). If they don't win a chip, it's definitely going to look bad

Then something is wrong. He shouldn't have gotten what McDavid got, let alone more. I know he's hyped all to hell and back, but McDavid actually put up the numbers to justify it, and not enough time has passed to justify a salary inflation argument.

They got, what? 1 UFA year of Matthews? At a price tag that, really, you'd expect the full 8 years for. There aren't enough UFA years here. They're setting things up for an even bigger payday, or they will lose him outright.

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Then something is wrong. He shouldn't have gotten what McDavid got, let alone more. I know he's hyped all to hell and back, but McDavid actually put up the numbers to justify it, and not enough time has passed to justify a salary inflation argument.

Couldn't agree more.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Toronto better hope they win the cup this season. They're going to have some serious cap issues if they don't make some moves in the off-season. Not to mention they haven't even re-signed Marner.

Also I have thought from the start and still think these high dollar long term 2nd contracts are absolutely ridiculous. Matthews is damn good, but 11.6m a year on his second contract? Madness.

EDIT: LeBrun speculating that Matthews would have been wanted around 13.5-14m AAV on an 8 year contract. Can't wait for the next lockout.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

They got, what? 1 UFA year of Matthews? At a price tag that, really, you'd expect the full 8 years for. There aren't enough UFA years here. They're setting things up for an even bigger payday, or they will lose him outright.
That’s the rumored asking price. And contracts are getting bigger and bigger. I can understand their thought process of not wanting to be held hostage by their super star player in the middle of the cup window

There definitely needs to be a lockout though

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
AAV $11.6.
$54.5M of $58.17M paid out as signing bonuses. Ouch.
Each of first 2 years $15.2M SB, $700K salary.

He will be 26 when his next contract kicks in. Looks like the kid's doing alright for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad