Speculation: Armchair GM Thread III: Post Deadline, Now with more armchairing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Feels like the Wild have been in a retool for a decade now. With Staal leaving his prime it might be time for them to dismantle that team, but I doubt Dubnyk goes for anything less than a premium, the guy is too good and too young not to demand a lot in trade.
Like I said, depends on the value they place on Rittich. He’s 6 years younger and actually has the higher save percentage, albeit in 17 less games. I would imagine, being a relatively unknown, that teams would’ve been scouting him pretty hard this year. I mean Dubnyk himself didn’t even solidify himself as one of the leagues top starters until he was older than Rittich.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I’m kinda curious as to what kind of return people think we could get for “The Stone Capspace Package”.
Top target would be a top 6 centre upgrade or a young, cost controlled, top 6 RW.

What’s the value of Brodie + Bennett, in a package?

I think we could also add the 1st, for the right piece. Brodie, Bennett + 1st is a pretty nice looking package, IMO.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I was actually thinking about this last night, but I think it’s likely Brodie gets dealt in the off-season.

This past deadline it was reported the Flames were after Edler. But also we know that the Flames were not going to move Hanifin, Valimaki, Andersson or mega stud Kylington. Andersson has already been used with Gio and I think Hamonic is a bigger need than Brodie.

I think the plan is to move Brodie and possibly our 1st, Janks or Bennett for a top 6 forward and let the kids replace TJ internally. It honestly makes sense from a pure cap perspective. All 4 young dmen will be regulars next year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If you believe the rumors from the Canuckland beat writers, then it was Kylington and a pick for Edler with an extension. It makes little sense but that's the story there.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I was actually thinking about this last night, but I think it’s likely Brodie gets dealt in the off-season.

This past deadline it was reported the Flames were after Edler. But also we know that the Flames were not going to move Hanifin, Valimaki, Andersson or mega stud Kylington. Andersson has already been used with Gio and I think Hamonic is a bigger need than Brodie.

I think the plan is to move Brodie and possibly our 1st, Janks or Bennett for a top 6 forward and let the kids replace TJ internally. It honestly makes sense from a pure cap perspective. All 4 young dmen will be regulars next year.
I think the Edler rumours were probably post Stone. Obviously there’s a difference between what you’re willing to give up for Stone, compared to other players but Brodie and Bennett are really the only two guys that make sense. Assuming we were using “the other” Stone as part of a sales pitch for resigning here. Let’s face it, with his contract and injury, he’s got negative value anyways. I think the idea would’ve been to move Brodie in the offseason, have Ras move up and have Stone as the 3rd pairing RD. Tre probably has $3.5-4 million factored in for Bennett, so that’s $8.1-8.6 for the Stone extension. Moving Frolik and the $3 million dollar cap increase should cover the Tkachuk extension and Dube’s salary to replace Bennett. There’s really no other replaceable options that carry enough of a cap hit, to make it possible.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Kylington + pick for Stone was what I thought our offer was. So when that didn't work they just turned around and offered it for Edler probably with a downgraded pick? That's unbelievably stupid and I thank Edler for not waiving his NMC.

If we made the trade for stone and got rid of Frolik now and maybe Brodie in the off season that's almost covers Stone right there.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Kylington + pick for Stone was what I thought our offer was. So when that didn't work they just turned around and offered it for Edler probably with a downgraded pick? That's unbelievably stupid and I thank Edler for not waiving his NMC.

If we made the trade for stone and got rid of Frolik now and maybe Brodie in the off season that's almost covers Stone right there.
Frolik and Brodie would’ve covered Stone but nothing toward Tkachuk. Edler would make sense, if we were giving up Valimaki for Stone but it’s hard to see how it would’ve been possible, cap wise. I’m guessing the deciding factor in the Stone deal was likely his salary demands. Treliving was probably using the Wheeler contract as a basis, anything above that would make it next to impossible for a 23 man roster.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Frolik and Brodie would’ve covered Stone but nothing toward Tkachuk. Edler would make sense, if we were giving up Valimaki for Stone but it’s hard to see how it would’ve been possible, cap wise. I’m guessing the deciding factor in the Stone deal was likely his salary demands. Treliving was probably using the Wheeler contract as a basis, anything above that would make it next to impossible for a 23 man roster.
Friedman said that Calgary was confident that we could sign Stone in his post deadline 31 thoughts.

Tkachuk with his play in the last 2 months shouldn't be getting the kind of money that puts us in cap trouble, at this point with two 50ish point seasons and one break out season where he created less than the two years prior I'm not sure I want him to break the Gio cap and I think the highest I'd go is 7.5 Million.

We weren't offering Valimaki so it was one of Kylington or Andersson being offered to the Sens (McKenzie and Friedman both said this).

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Friedman said that Calgary was confident that we could sign Stone in his post deadline 31 thoughts.

Tkachuk with his play in the last 2 months shouldn't be getting the kind of money that puts us in cap trouble, at this point with two 50ish point seasons and one break out season where he created less than the two years prior I'm not sure I want him to break the Gio cap and I think the highest I'd go is 7.5 Million.

We weren't offering Valimaki so it was one of Kylington or Andersson being offered to the Sens (McKenzie and Friedman both said this).

Any chance you have that tweet saved?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

My theory is that Valimaki and Brannstrom were both on the table, pending extension. Once Treliving heard the contract demands, he quickly withdrew the offer. I think Vegas dealing on the extension, is probably why it took so long to announce the trade and why Dorion looked so nervous. If you have a guaranteed offer of Brannstrom you’re feeling pretty confident and Dorion’s body language was about as far away from that as you can get. There’s a strong possibility that our counter offer of Kylington + 1st was the best offer on the table, had Vegas not been able to come to an agreement. This would effectively handcuff us until the Stone deal was announced and explain why the Zucker deal was so late.

Last edited:

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
The intensity of the desire of the bread eater to eat bread fixes the marginal utility of bread. 4*1.25 for mangi

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Pretty hard to imagine Treliving beating, potentially, two 1st’s and a young depth player. Who’s he playing with on the Jets?
There is no second first the 4th is only sent if they win the cup if they don't the Rangers get nothing.

So it's either 1st + Lemuiex + 4th if they win or 1st + Lemuiex if they don't.

I think 1st + Janko beats that personally and if Hayes would re-sign I would have done it.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
There is no second first the 4th is only sent if they win the cup if they don't the Rangers get nothing.

So it's either 1st + Lemuiex + 4th if they win or 1st + Lemuiex if they don't.

I think 1st + Janko beats that personally and if Hayes would re-sign I would have done it.
My bad. Thought it was a 1st, Lemieux + 4th, that became a 1st if the Jets won the cup.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
If the Flames burn out in the first round many core pieces(Guys 25 plus on good value contracts) could be moved.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Nolan Patrick & a pick, Konecney & 2 firsts, Johnny and a first for Point (Maybe... because Point's contract will be huge), depending on how interested Boston is maybe Debrusk.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Nolan Patrick & a pick, Konecney & 2 firsts, Johnny and a first for Point (Maybe... because Point's contract will be huge), depending on how interested Boston is maybe Debrusk.
Non of those players is even worth mentioning in the sane breath at JG, yes not even Point

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
If we move Gaudreau I think Monahan should be gone too. The only non young player I'd hesitate on is Gio and that's just because he's been a Flame for 12 years.

I don't know that they'd trade anyone after one playoff loss but if it comes to it they shouldn't half ass it. Rebuild it don't we aren't immediately getting better from a Gaudreau trade.

Non of those players is even worth mentioning in the sane breath at JG, yes not even Point

Point is worth Gaudreau as long as he's not just a ride along for Kucherov. Agree on the others though and honestly with where there team is Philly might not do the Konecny trade which is the only other thing decent there.

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I gotta say those all seem like massive down grades, other than Point. Patrick really hasn’t shown any better than Bennett. Konecney seen like the same type of player, only far less skilled and I love Debrusk but the chances of him ever being a game changer are slim, IMO.

Reactions: Dack

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If we move Gaudreau I think Monahan should be gone too. The only non young player I'd hesitate on is Gio and that's just because he's been a Flame for 12 years.

I don't know that they'd trade anyone after one playoff loss but if it comes to it they shouldn't half ass it. Rebuild it don't we aren't immediately getting better from a Gaudreau trade.

Point is worth Gaudreau as long as he's not just a ride along for Kucherov. Agree on the others though and honestly with where there team is Philly might not do the Konecny trade which is the only thing decent there.
I agree, that if one goes, they both go. No point in looking great in the regular season if you don’t have the fortitude to play in the playoffs. Gio wouldn’t make any sense, even with the season he’s had, we’d be looking at an Iggy return, given his age.

Reactions: Dack

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I gotta say those all seem like massive down grades, other than Point. Patrick really hasn’t shown any better than Bennett. Konecney seen like the same type of player, only far less skilled and I love Debrusk but the chances of him ever being a game changer are slim, IMO.

If the opportunity is there to get Point you do it despite some opinions the guy is a star with the potential to leave JG in his dust... Who else would trade for JG? Carolina wouldn't give up Aho... The only other trades would be a Kessel or Hall trade pretty much straight across and the Flames lose based on age an/or term of the contracts. An extended Hall I might be interested in.

FlamesNewArena

Sep 10, 2018
I don't know what the cap situation would look like but any chance the offseason looks like this:

Trade Frolik and Stone for late round picks
Sign Tkachuck to 6yr* 7M
Trade Brodie+Janks for Nylander (this allows Toronto a good cheap D man and cheap 3C to allow Leafs to trade Kadri for prospects and picks to relieve cap situation)
Flames sign Hayes
Sign rittich to 4M and smith to 3M

Flames go into next season with:

Johnny-Mony-Nylander
Tkachuck-Hayes-Lindholm
Bennett-Backs-Dube
Magni-Ryan-Czar

Gio-Ras
Ham-Hanifin
Kylington-Vali

Rittich
Smith