Speculation: Armchair GM 2024-25 Season, Craig Conroy's Can Do Calgary Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
There is a lot to be excited about.

I’ve been saying Hunter B was a stud going back to Penticton last year when I thought he was the best player in that tournament.
I thought Zayne played really well the last few games for an 18 year old d. He just needs to get stronger and another year in jr is absolutely the right call.
Honzek has totally surprised me and looks like his ceiling is immense.
Coronato should be a solid 2nd line scorer. 25 g 30 apples type player.
We have a very good future goalie in Wolf.
Zary and Pospisil are going to have solid NHL careers.
Gridin and Basha really showed solid potential.
Kuznetsov and Solovyov are highly underrated dmen who could give us some physicality.
Battaglia, Misa, Lipinski, Morin, Grushnikov, Suniev, Stromgren, Mews, all look like they could be contributors down the line.

This team still needs an elite C prospect. McQueen, Misa, Ryabkin, Hagens, Frondell would really give this team a chance to be a solid contender in a few years. I also think they need a LH defensive d who can shut down the cycle, skate and move pucks like a Hanifin type to play alongside Parekh in the future. Those are the two missing pieces as far as I am concerned. Schaefer or Martone (if Honzek could play C) could fill one of those needs. Basically we need a top 7 pick this year.

It’s definitely been a positive camp but I’ve been positive about this team more than most for a while. But I also still think they have a few big holes to fill.

Honzek-x-Coronato
Basha-Zary-Gridin
Huberdeau-Pospisil-Battaglia
L. Misa-Lipinski-Stromgren
Suniev/Pelletier

X-Parekh
Solovyov-Brewski
Kuznetsov-Mews
Morin/Grushnikov

Wolf

Already a pretty interesting team down the road.
Kevin Bahl would like a word. Seriously though, organizationally he’s probably our best long term bet bet for a partner for Parekh at this moment when in 3-4 years Parekh is coming into his own as a top
Pair defenseman. He has all the tools in spades, just hasn’t been able to put it all together yet. Given our organizations decade+ spanning ability of fixing/producing quality defenseman, I’d bet he’s a good top 4 defenseman for us for a long time, and I’m not ruling out a Bahl-Parekh top pair.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
They currently have zero first line forwards and zero prospects with first line potential. Hagens is a good not great prospect so even if you are lucky enough to get him you are likely looking at 2 years before you can expect him to reach a first line level and wouldn't have anyone to do the heavy lifting.

Defensively I guess if you squint maybe Andersson is a first pairing guy, but not close to the level that contenders have for their best defenseman and who knows if he is even staying. I love Parekh as a prospect but he is going to take time and might be better as the 2nd best offensive stud on a team rather than a top #1 d that can play in all situations like all SC winners have.

I think even being super delusional it takes a massive amount of squinting to see this team being good anytime soon, and likely the team in the NHL furthest away from being a contender.

No one is expecting Calgary to be a contender next year. The premise here was to build on what Lomberg said. In 3-4 years things will be so dramatically different on this roster, that it wouldn’t shock me if another window is opened by then. The people who are like 5+ years! 5 years ago Calgary won the pacific division and Edmonton and LA were in the basement.

Top line players, honestly, are the easiest parts of the rebuild. You draft them with the 1-6 picks at the draft. What causes the perpetual rebuild are the teams that can’t develop out of the top 10 of a draft and don’t have any foundation. We will have at least two shots in the top of the draft over the next couple seasons.

Weegar is also on this roster, who is an absolute stud. Not just Razzy.

Kevin Bahl would like a word. Seriously though, organizationally he’s probably our best long term bet bet for a partner for Parekh at this moment when in 3-4 years Parekh is coming into his own as a top
Pair defenseman. He has all the tools in spades, just hasn’t been able to put it all together yet. Given our organizations decade+ spanning ability of fixing/producing quality defenseman, I’d bet he’s a good top 4 defenseman for us for a long time, and I’m not ruling out a Bahl-Parekh top pair.

Gotta send Bahl to the Zadorov school of defence masterclass that Sutter did a few years back.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
No one is expecting Calgary to be a contender next year. The premise here was to build on what Lomberg said. In 3-4 years things will be so dramatically different on this roster, that it wouldn’t shock me if another window is opened by then. The people who are like 5+ years! 5 years ago Calgary won the pacific division and Edmonton and LA were in the basement.

Top line players, honestly, are the easiest parts of the rebuild. You draft them with the 1-6 picks at the draft. What causes the perpetual rebuild are the teams that can’t develop out of the top 10 of a draft and don’t have any foundation. We will have at least two shots in the top of the draft over the next couple seasons.

Gotta send Bahl to the Zadorov school of defence masterclass that Sutter did a few years back.
Ryan Huska deserves a lot of credit there. He was the head coach of our AHL team when the goal was development and was helping produce guys like Andersson and Kylington, but more importantly once he got promoted he was the guy in charge of our defensive group between 2018-23 (as well as our PK, which was 6th in the league across his tenure in the position). Sutter designed the system that made our defense look good (until it didn’t), Huska was the man in charge of developing the defenseman. The guy also knows how to make good defenseman.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022

I think we are certainly looking at a minimum of 5 years before we are anything more than first participants and we might not even get that the next five years.

We don’t have a good prospect pool, do t have good young talent and have t shown a good job getting talent in the draft or in trades. We are a long way off from being ok, let alone good. This is a bad roster, with bad coaching and highly questionable management.

• Haha
Reactions: Anglesmith

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I think we are certainly looking at a minimum of 5 years before we are anything more than first participants and we might not even get that the next five years.

We don’t have a good prospect pool, do t have good young talent and have t shown a good job getting talent in the draft or in trades. We are a long way off from being ok, let alone good. This is a bad roster, with bad coaching and highly questionable management.
Have you casted all your rods for the week or there is more to come?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Sorry that truth and honesty is too much for you. Didn't realize this forum was only for delusional homer opinions.
So your opinion is the honest truth while other opinions that are contrary to your own are delusional homer wrong thinking. Have I got that right?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In a 32-team league, if you always predict that your team will never win you'll be right more than 95% of the time. It's a smart position to take.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
In a 32-team league, if you always predict that your team will never win you'll be right more than 95% of the time. It's a smart position to take.
If only it was a winning or losing prediction. Instead it's, and I quote...
We don’t have a good prospect pool, do t have good young talent and have t shown a good job getting talent in the draft or in trades. We are a long way off from being ok, let alone good. This is a bad roster, with bad coaching and highly questionable management

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Wolf, Parekh, Brewski, Honzek, Coronato, Zary, Pospisil, Gridin, Basha, Solovyov, Kuznetsov all looked pretty good to me :dunno: some people just love to be pessimistic, what can you do?

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Why are people engaging with that poster? They hadn't posted in 6 months and returned to troll Gaudreau threads, they've never contributed even a little to our CFHF community. I may have my issues with some of you, but unlike that poster, you contribute to this place

MM917

Aug 18, 2022

This isn't a case of Flames not winning anything we have been one of the worst teams in the league over the past 2 years, a bad team over the past 5 years, mediocre team over the past 10-20 years.

Why are people engaging with that poster? They hadn't posted in 6 months and returned to troll Gaudreau threads, they've never contributed even a little to our CFHF community. I may have my issues with some of you, but unlike that poster, you contribute to this place

Sorry that honesty is now considered "not contributing" again is this a deluded homer take factory or are we allowed to be honest about the club.

I also never trolled in any Gaudreau threads I posted honest, truthful facts.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This isn't a case of Flames not winning anything we have been one of the worst teams in the league over the past 2 years, a bad team over the past 5 years, mediocre team over the past 10-20 years.

Sorry that honesty is now considered "not contributing" again is this a deluded homer take factory or are we allowed to be honest about the club.

Yes, we've been mediocre. That's average. That's expectation.

Hoping for better than average is reasonable. Everyone hopes to be better than average over the long term. It's why people gamble.

Expecting to be better than average over the long term is a recipe for disappointment, and a sign of lack of perspective and probably entitlement.

Still unsure why the past 20 years has anything to do with our prospect pool, though.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

You seem to struggle with the difference between facts and opinions, I’ll try to explain it in simple terms to see if I can help!

A fact is something that is known to be true, can be proven without a shred of doubt, and can’t be argued against. An example of this is “Nobody in this thread has expressed appreciation or has generally agreed with statements you’ve made.” It’s measurable, and can be verified without the ability to be argued against.

An opinion on the other hand can be argued, are based on judgements, and while they can be rooted in facts are not conclusive. An example of this is “I think your opinions are like toilet paper, they dont hold much weight and reek of s**t.” It’s not measurable, it’s based on my beliefs, and can have opposing viewpoints to it.

I hope that helped!

• Haha
Reactions: Rubi and Lunatik

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
You seem to struggle with the difference between facts and opinions, I’ll try to explain it in simple terms to see if I can help!

A fact is something that is known to be true, can be proven without a shred of doubt, and can’t be argued against. An example of this is “Nobody in this thread has expressed appreciation or has generally agreed with statements you’ve made.” It’s measurable, and can be verified without the ability to be argued against.

An opinion on the other hand can be argued, are based on judgements, and while they can be rooted in facts are not conclusive. An example of this is “I think your opinions are like toilet paper, they dont hold much weight and reek of s**t.” It’s not measurable, it’s based on my beliefs, and can have opposing viewpoints to it.

I hope that helped!
Also would like to add that facts have a mix of positive and negative. If every so-called "fact" is negative, then it's a steaming pile of bullshit, just like if every "fact" is positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad