Speculation: Armchair GM 2024-25 Season, Craig Conroy's Can Do Calgary Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
The Flames are in a new to them sort of cap jail. Players making more than $1.8 M actually can’t be traded without cap hits being included in the return or added to the roster prior to the trade

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
The Flames are in a new to them sort of cap jail. Players making more than $1.8 M actually can’t be traded without cap hits being included in the return or added to the roster prior to the trade
we're almost 3m over the floor

Ledge And Dairy

I stand corrected players making over $3m can’t.
At the deadline players are already roughly 80% paid out for the season, that 80% counts against the cap, and if you retain 50% on the trade you are essentially trading paying 90% of their seasons salary and 90% of their cap hit. In the case of someone like Kuzmenko, Calgary could in theory move him at the deadline without any returning cap hits because they will pay somewhere between 4.4-4.95M of his 5.5M cap hit

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
At the deadline players are already roughly 80% paid out for the season, that 80% counts against the cap, and if you retain 50% on the trade you are essentially trading paying 90% of their seasons salary and 90% of their cap hit. In the case of someone like Kuzmenko, Calgary could in theory move him at the deadline without any returning cap hits because they will pay somewhere between 4.4-4.95M of his 5.5M cap hit
based on the context of the recent posts, this was in relation t the Vladar suggestion

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
based on the context of the recent posts, this was in relation t the Vladar suggestion
To be clear, in my proposal it was a swap for Korpisalo, who is paid more than Vladar - so we were actually taking on a bit more Cap. That was the sweetener.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Any chance we can send Vladar to Bos? With Swayman & Bos still in disagreement, they may need other options. They did draft him & know him well....

Vladar & 26 3rd for Korp & 26 2nd
There is no chance IMO that Boston is more comfortable with Vladar than the Korpedo.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
To be clear, in my proposal it was a swap for Korpisalo, who is paid more than Vladar - so we were actually taking on a bit more Cap. That was the sweetener.
looks like you were editing your post to add that during the time i saw it and replied:laugh:

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014

Well, no. We just can't ship out roster players for futures as easily. Cap jail is you're screwed if you don't make a move (ie: Over the cap and need moves to be cap compliant).

If anything, it might give options for us to pry out certain pieces that would be more difficult to access in other situations.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lomberg had an interesting interview with Pat for radio yesterday. One thing he said really resonated with me.
Something along the lines of '5 years ago when I signed in Florida, we weren't talking about Stanley Cups; this team is a lot closer than people give us credit for.' He then went on to talk about him being fine that Calgary's projected to be a bottom feeder because they'll catch more teams sleeping at the wheel.

Honestly, I started thinking a bit, and in reality, Calgary isn't that far from opening another window of competition. Clearly Lomberg has to be positive for this season, but I think unless you are the most deluded of deluded fans we know what this year will look like for us. That all said, you put in a legit 1C on this roster. Like you get a Hagens and put him on this roster, things start to change and change rather quickly.

With Honzek looking more like a legit 1st rounder.
With Brzustewicz looking like a legit blue chip prospect.
With Pospisil and Zary looking like they're going to be real players in this league.
With Coronato turning the corner on being a regular.
With Parehk still to ascend.
With Wolf looking like he'll be a legit NHL goalie, with some big time upside.

Then with all the other guys they've taken who look like they could be real players (Gridin, Misa, Basha, Morin, Stromgren) you don't have to squint to see how they could come out of this rebuild looking like a legit club in short order.

Like would anyone be surprised if Calgary starts the season hot, cools off by November; is a really stinky team by February, sells off assets and then starts to pick it up again as we start infusing more youth?

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Lomberg had an interesting interview with Pat for radio yesterday. One thing he said really resonated with me.
Something along the lines of '5 years ago when I signed in Florida, we weren't talking about Stanley Cups; this team is a lot closer than people give us credit for.' He then went on to talk about him being fine that Calgary's projected to be a bottom feeder because they'll catch more teams sleeping at the wheel.

Honestly, I started thinking a bit, and in reality, Calgary isn't that far from opening another window of competition. Clearly Lomberg has to be positive for this season, but I think unless you are the most deluded of deluded fans we know what this year will look like for us. That all said, you put in a legit 1C on this roster. Like you get a Hagens and put him on this roster, things start to change and change rather quickly.

With Pospisil and Zary looking like they're going to be real players in this league.

Then with all the other guys they've taken who look like they could be real players (Gridin, Misa, Basha, Morin, Stromgren) you don't have to squint to see how they could come out of this rebuild looking like a legit club in short order.

Like would anyone be surprised if Calgary starts the season hot, cools off by November; is a really stinky team by February, sells off assets and then starts to pick it up again as we start infusing more youth?
giphy.webp

giphy.webp

Reactions: Volica

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

Regarding Honzek, I always want to throw in that if he does play for the Wranglers this season and is paired with Kirkland as he has so far.... they could ease him into a center ice position as they are both C/LW, early in the year give Kirkland the tougher matchups and slowly let Honzo face tougher competition.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Why's everyone so high on Pelletier? he's ok, but.. he needs to physically fill into his man body yet. Coronato is way better at the current time.

In fairness, he's a PPG player in the AHL, so worth of a spot for sure. I think the time period will be short though.

Might be one of those guy who's always a top producer in the AHL, but just for some reason, never could put up numbers beyond the 4th line/call up in the NHL and there's thousands of those guys over the years.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Zegras is still a perfect add for the flames, young dynamic centre. Still not on a big contract with time to think about commitment. No risk at all.

I don't know who the ducks would want...?

Got alot of good wing and D prospects.

Ledge And Dairy

Why's everyone so high on Pelletier? he's ok, but.. he needs to physically fill into his man body yet. Coronato is way better at the current time.

In fairness, he's a PPG player in the AHL, so worth of a spot for sure. I think the time period will be short though.

Might be one of those guy who's always a top producer in the AHL, but just for some reason, never could put up numbers beyond the 4th line/call up in the NHL and there's thousands of those guys over the years.
Unlike Coronato, Pelletier has to pass through waivers t be sent down. Pelts playstyle is also much more suited for a bottom 6 role as a 2-way guy, which is essentially the only available slot on the roster right now. If the option is to play 1 or the other on the 4th line I'm playing Pelletier there. Coronato can go down and light up the AHL with our much improved Wranglers team.

Also so far in camp Coronato has played 1 extra game (the one in Seattle). But when they both played Pelts looked better of the 2 in Vancouver, which was clearly a much more up to NHL pace game.

Reactions: Lunatik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad