Are Zetterberg/Alfreddsson Hall of Famers?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Are they hall of Famers

• Total voters

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Nothing that Alfredsson didn't also win.

This "massive" gap between them is simply the result of Sundin getting in a few extra seasons before the dead puck era arrived.

Also that Sundin was more consistent and the better player. Let's take away those first few years of Sundin. Sundin outscored Alfredsson over the course of the years their careers overlapped. The fact that he had some great seasons before that-including his best-is just a bonus.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
did Sundin ever win anything of note?

Gold medal and world championship yes. He is one of the greatest international player in history:
16px-Gold_medal_icon_%28G_initial%29.svg.png
2006 Turin
World Championships
1991 Finland
1992 Czechoslovakia
1998 Switzerland
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Has for the question, I feel like Alfredsson is a near lock by being the first face of a Canadian franchise and stayed the face of it for so long, that put the boderline career over the line, who of that draft would go in before him:

1994 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

If the rules do not change and if they kept nominating a bit over 2 player a year, there would not be many draft with 0 HOF at that rate and in the 93-94-95 draft, Iginla/Pronger/Kariya are the only obvious player that are either above him or possibly above him, in the next 60 year's we should see at least 4 player from those 3 draft year goes in. From 1996 there is only Chara, that will make the bar a bit low for a while.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Astounds that me that people/media lavish so much praise on a guy like Toews at his best, but clearly superior two way players like Alfredsson and Zetterberg who were arguably better defensively and wayyy better offensively while being wayyy more consistent get so much push back.

The hall has a Canadian/ North American bias, all there is to it.

You're probably not wrong (N.American bias), but I'd say the even larger bias is championships.

Seriously, if Zetterberg had captained Detroit to another 2 stanley cups and was an important member of another Olympic gold medal and World Cup championship for Sweden, I can guarantee we wouldn't be having this conversation. He'd be a shoo-in.

Is it fair? No. But with Kevin "6 rings" Lowe getting in, the tendency is pretty clear. Team success is very, very important.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Not for nothing, but there are 31 franchises in the NHL, and Alfredsson is the best ever player for one of said franchises.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Nah, I already showed WHY Sundin deserved to get in.......highest scoring Swede ever, captained Sweden to 4 golds, 564 goals, list of 100 greatest NHLers, etc., etc.

I'm not actually any big Sundin fan. But he "won" those things, compared to other Swedes, and they let him in, first ballot. If you don't agree, take it up with the HHOF. :)

Neither of them won the cup. Alfie won the calder and was Swedens MVP when they won olympic gold.

Alfie had a higher peak, was better defensively, and he led the playoffs in scoring when his team advanced to the cup finals.

I wont argue against Sundin getting in, but arguing for him and against Alfie is basically just a pile of biased nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Neither of them won the cup. Alfie won the calder and was Swedens MVP when they won olympic gold.

Alfie had a higher peak, was better defensively, and he led the playoffs in scoring when his team advanced to the cup finals.

I wont argue against Sundin getting in, but arguing for him and against Alfie is basically just a pile of biased nonsense.

Nah.

I'm right, and the Hockey Hall of Fame agrees with me.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yes. I already listed all the things he "won".........highest scoring Swede of all time, 564 goals, 1349 pts, captained Sweden to 4 gold medals. Alfie never won any of those things.

Really you people should learn to read.

Olympics Alfie, 27 points, Mats 20
World championships , Alfie 46 points ,Mats 46
Alfie Calder trophy
Alfie 100 playoff points , Mats 70

Reactions: newfy

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Nah.

I'm right, and the Hockey Hall of Fame agrees with me.

The hall of fame isnt a person or some higher being that has the ultimate say, just FYI.

Its a fraternity of hockey elites that many would argue have a different agenda than the appeasing the popular opinion. They look out for theirs own boys first foremost.

Guys like Pierre McGuire sit on the board that votes players in. Think about that.

The fact that Kevin Lowe sits in the hall ahead of so many amazing players is simply proof that the system is broken. Much like democracy in the USA if you feel like drawing some parallels from the real world.

If you an

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
im not sure why some people always revert to discussing sundin. The guy was a first ballot HOFer and the best player team sweden had. He captained many of their teams.

If youre going to argue alfredsson is a HOFer you should use players like kevin Lowe to support your argument. They were closer in caliber but of course lowe has more hardware.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
im not sure why some people always revert to discussing sundin. The guy was a first ballot HOFer and the best player team sweden had. He captained many of their teams.

If youre going to argue alfredsson is a HOFer you should use players like kevin Lowe to support your argument. They were closer in caliber but of course lowe has more hardware.

Hahahahaha

Reactions: cole von cole

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I dont see how Alfredsson is a HOFer without a Cup

Nobody would say Elias wasa HOFer if he didnt have two himself (and a spinning assist on a SFC GWG)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yes. I already listed all the things he "won".........highest scoring Swede of all time, 564 goals, 1349 pts, captained Sweden to 4 gold medals. Alfie never won any of those things.

Really you people should learn to read.

Alfie never won any of those things?

How sure are you that he wasnt on any of those 4 Swedish teams that Sundin also won medals with?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Alfie never won any of those things?

How sure are you that he wasnt on any of those 4 Swedish teams that Sundin also won medals with?

He never CAPTAINED his team to 4 gold medals, which is what I said Mats did.

Honestly, y'all need to read more carefully. :)

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Cup is a team award,which is why the HOF looking at them when giving access to the HOF as an Individual award makes them a joke....

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He never CAPTAINED his team to 4 gold medals, which is what I said Mats did.

Honestly, y'all need to read more carefully. :)

I didnt realise you could win captain of team Sweden. Did they play against each other one on one to determine who wins captain? or did he win captain in an arm wrestle?

Alfredsson was an alternate captain and best player on Sweden at the 06 olympics where they won gold. Sundin having the C does not make his tourney more impressive at all

Reactions: grewalwings

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Sundin having the C does not make his tourney more impressive at all

Sure it does. He was named captain many times, and won 4 gold medals as that team's leader. He was always a natural born leader. And that's one of the reasons he made it into the HHOF 1st ballot.

Unlike Alfie.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
The hall of fame isnt a person or some higher being that has the ultimate say, just FYI.

Its a fraternity of hockey elites that many would argue have a different agenda than the appeasing the popular opinion. They look out for theirs own boys first foremost.

Guys like Pierre McGuire sit on the board that votes players in. Think about that.

The fact that Kevin Lowe sits in the hall ahead of so many amazing players is simply proof that the system is broken. Much like democracy in the USA if you feel like drawing some parallels from the real world.

If you an

Just to let you know, you're biting on one of HFBoards longest serving trolls. Anyone who's argument is "I'm right, you're wrong" isn't worth arguing with imo.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Just to let you know, you're biting on one of HFBoards longest serving trolls. Anyone who's argument is "I'm right, you're wrong" isn't worth arguing with imo.

Appreciate the heads up, but Ive been here since 2008 (and was lurking for years before that); I knew full well who I was responding to.

But in a weird way, I guess after all these years there is a reason why I havent blocked him altogether at this point, which would have been the obvious thing to do.

I suppose on a deeper a level I like bantering with a basic Leafs fan from time to time, and Mak is great at keeping my hate for the leafs genuine, and flowing freely.

Reactions: Regal

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sure it does. He was named captain many times, and won 4 gold medals as that team's leader. He was always a natural born leader. And that's one of the reasons he made it into the HHOF 1st ballot.

Unlike Alfie.

Alfie wore a letter (ie leadership role) and also noticeably outperformed Sundin in 06. Nothing about Sundins olympics was more impressive than Alfies, no matter the difference in letter on their jerseys. Being the better player and having an A is better than what Sundin did

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
It still baffles me why alfredsson fans always resort to comparing him to a way better player, and first ballot HOFer like Sundin.

Again, if youre going to try to make your case, you should point to players like kevin lowe. They let lots of good but not great players in, use that as your case for alfie. There are lots to pick from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad