Are we in Canada paranoid about 2026 or should we not be worried?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's a moot point - Florida is the better team, but Bouchard was hot garbage, tonight. You could tie 2 of tonight's goals on him.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
It's a moot point - Florida is the better team, but Bouchard was hot garbage, tonight. You could tie 2 of tonight's goals on him.
You're not bringing Bouchard for his defensive play. He's always been sheltered by one of the best shutdown guys in the league in Ekholm. You bring Bouchard for his offensive play.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
You're not bringing Bouchard for his defensive play. He's always been sheltered by one of the best shutdown guys in the league in Ekholm. You bring Bouchard for his offensive play.

Yes, you bring Bouchard for his elite offensive play and continue to pair him up with an elite defender to cover for him.

Also, the second Rodrigues goal was on the PP...surely to god Bouchard won't be killing penalties for a best on best Canadian team. And, not to make excuses for the guy, but he ended up over 30 minutes last night with Nurse's early injury. To get the best out of Bouchard (or any player for that matter) the coach has to put him in a position to succeed, and I don't Knoblauch did a good job of that last night.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yes, you bring Bouchard for his elite offensive play and continue to pair him up with an elite defender to cover for him.

Also, the second Rodrigues goal was on the PP...surely to god Bouchard won't be killing penalties for a best on best Canadian team. And, not to make excuses for the guy, but he ended up over 30 minutes last night with Nurse's early injury. To get the best out of Bouchard (or any player for that matter) the coach has to put him in a position to succeed, and I don't Knoblauch did a good job of that last night.
Good post.

I was just so frustrated with him on the PP(?) goal. Get the flippin puck 200 feet. Why Edmonton can't clear their zone is beyond me.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Good post.

I was just so frustrated with him on the PP(?) goal. Get the flippin puck 200 feet. Why Edmonton can't clear their zone is beyond me.
Still a young player, I’m sure he’ll improve defensively as time goes on. He’ll be kept on a short leash with Team Canada and a watchful eye from Doughty or Pietrangelo. The Bouch Bomb is too valuable to not have him on Team Canada. He’ll add a ton of value to PP2 if Canada opts to go with 2 defencemen.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I miss hockey.

Tonight we get swept. Then, after the Draft, we have the Hlinka tournament. After that, it is slim pickings for a long time. :(

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Someone we should not forget about...

***********************************************************************************************************

3 of the 6 players are Canadian. Not too shabby...

"Those included on the list were Yaroslav Askarov (Milwaukee Admirals), Brandt Clarke (Ontario Reign), Simon Edvinsson (Grand Rapids Griffins), Jiri Kulich (Rochester Americans), Logan Stankoven (Texas Stars) and Shane Wright (Coachella Valley Firebirds)."

Not sure why Mavrik Bourque was overlooked. I'm going to assume he was the first alternate on the Top Prospect's team - considering he was the AHL MVP.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A buddy of mine and I did a mock list of the 2026 Canadian Olympic team. I will say one thing, when Canada had 50-60% of the NHLers instead of, say, 40-45% they do in 2024 the names rolled off of your tongue a little easier. But we still put together a pretty good team for Canada in 2026:

Hyman-McDavid-Marner
Byfield-MacKinnon-Point
Reinhart-Bedard-Stamkos
Marchand-Crosby-Stone
Suzuki/Barzal

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Rielly-Bouchard
Dobson-Power

Hill
Jarry
Binnington/Skinner
(Hart, we'll see how things work out for him)

The names aren't really up for debate so much, we all do this on other threads, but it is just a bit of a base for you to see. Things can change, Lafreniere could really bust out, as could another draftee from 2020-'23 like Fantilli or so other names. To be honest there are a lot coming up the pipe right now where we are in a bit of a transition seeing some of the old guard leaving. It is hard to imagine some of them Olympians today, but in 2 years I think so.

But we both sort of felt that perhaps 10, 15, 20 years ago the names would have come easier for us to think about. You look at the defense of the 2002 team and it is incredible. 2010 had a wicked defense, 2014 did, 2016 did. Players like Letang never got on these teams. Even in net when Roy backed out in 2002 we had Brodeur, Joseph and Belfour. No problems there. Also there were legit guys like Burke, Potvin, Luongo, Theodore, Turco and even Osgood who could have easily been a legit 3rd stringer.

Now, with all of that being said, once we started comparing the Canadian roster to the ones of other countries there was a lot more optimism. Sweden, Czech and Finland all have plenty of holes in their rosters and don't have the star power or depth of Canada. Russia I personally hope is back to playing as it is not the same without them, but as usual their defense is suspect at best, and I was surprised that their forwards weren't as dangerous of a group as I thought they might be. As for goaltending, no contest for them. They beat any other country hands down with this. Vasi, Shesterkin and Bobrovsky are better than any of our best. But the team in front of them wouldn't be able to handle Canada's firepower.

That leaves the U.S. team, and a team that I will admit is closing the gap. The Americans' goalies trump ours. But our forwards are deeper and definitely have more high end to them. Imagine having McDavid, MacKinnon, Bedard and even Crosby as the lines you can roll down the middle. Imagine not finding room for Scheifele (although he could make it), Marchand (perhaps) and others. Marchand could be too old by then and not able to keep up, but there are plenty coming down the pipe that are replacing him. Even the defense, I think we have the best defense out of anyone, even the U.S. I think it relies heavily on Makar for instance and we don't have another guy like him, but who does? I like Quinn Hughes on the U.S. but I still take Makar.

Bottom line what I am saying is we as Canadians get this feeling that things are over for us. I don't know why, but we always do. And yet every other country would kill to have that roster and would freak out to be playing against that group of forwards and mobile defense on the back end. All of our goalies are good capable goalies, maybe not Vezina winners, but there won't be a shortage of at least good goalies to choose from. That's all we need.

The 2023 draft was Canadian-laden, the 2024 draft especially in the 1st round is at least half Canadians, and the 2020-'23 drafts have been loaded with talent that will be on these teams. Players we aren't thinking about yet too.

So do we get paranoid in Canada over this stuff too much? Not that we can't improve our program or anything but do we worry about it too much? I can already name for sure at least 10 players on that Canadian team destined for the Hall of Fame.
This thread has been insanely popular and a great add but...

As you know, @Crosby2010, once we get past 2026 Best on Best, Canada has some INSANE YOUNG talent coming down the pike. I cannot remember the last time I've seen a 5+ year period of HIGH end talent AND depth (2020 - 2024).

God rewarded us after 4 years of ugliness (2016-2019). :)

Last edited:

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
To the OP,

We could have a team of 5 Bobby Orrs against 5 Tanner Glasses and I would still be paranoid if the red maple leaf is involved.

I think it is just built in Canadian hockey fans. If we aren't the best at hockey, then what?

This thread has been insanely popular and a great add but...

As you know, @Crosby2010, once we get past 2026 Best on Best, Canada has some INSANE YOUNG talent coming down the pike. I cannot remember the last time I've seen a 5+ year period of HIGH end talent AND depth (2020 - 2024).

God rewarded us after 4 years of ugliness (2016-2019). :)

2005-'09 comes to mind as well I think. Built the foundation for the 2010, 2014 and 2016 teams. But yeah, lots of talent. Still have for sure the best team in 2026. And was is the worst thing that will happen, we have a goalie who was in the Cup final this year?

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I think it is just built in Canadian hockey fans. If we aren't the best at hockey, then what?

2005-'09 comes to mind as well I think. Built the foundation for the 2010, 2014 and 2016 teams. But yeah, lots of talent. Still have for sure the best team in 2026. And was is the worst thing that will happen, we have a goalie who was in the Cup final this year?
The 2002-2006 made up Canada’s 2010 and 2014 Olympic Teams:
Crosby
Toews
Bergeron
Nash
Staal
Carter
Richards
Keith
Seabrook
Weber
Vlasic
Getzlaf
Perry
Price

The 2007-2009 draft class produced Tavares, Benn, Doughty, Duchene, Subban, and Pietrangelo which paved the way for the youth movement at the 2014 Olympics.

I would actually argue that Canada’s drafting from 2011-2015 was better than the latter:
McDavid
MacKinnon
Point
Marner
Konecny
Morrisey
Theodore
Toews
Montour
Ekblad
Reinhart
Scheifele
Barzal
Hamilton
Verhaege
Horvat

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

I thought of 2005-2009 as well but then I looked back. I think 2020 - 2024 is BETTER than 2005-2009 - especially up front.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Lord help us in Southern Ontario. What an ugly day / week. 🥵♨️🌶️

IF Edmonton wins, tonight, I get a little excited. A Thursday win and my heart starts to race.

My guess : Oilers lose in O.T., tonight. Hope I am wrong.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I am becoming less and less a fan of Hyman. Same with Drai - although, I don't care about Team Germany.

How do you not put Skinner in net when Canada has so few options?

McDavid has been "okay".

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I am becoming less and less a fan of Hyman. Same with Drai - although, I don't care about Team Germany.

How do you not put Skinner in net when Canada has so few options?

McDavid has been "okay".
Mcdavid has been O.K?

He's going to win the Conn Smythe even if the Oilers don't complete the comeback and win the Stanley Cup, he's been a far sight better then o.k

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Say what you want about the goaltending depth, in my mind the only four players in their prime who have shown the level where they can carry a team as an outskater by themselves are McDavid (right now and 2024), MacKinnon (2020 and 2022) Kucherov (2020) and Draisaitl (2022, 2023), and Canada has two of them

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Mcdavid has been O.K?

He's going to win the Conn Smythe even if the Oilers don't complete the comeback and win the Stanley Cup, he's been a far sight better then o.k
LOL. I was joking. As Kramer (on Seinfeld) would say, "ORRFF's a joke teller".

:)

I was serious, however, with the rest of the post - Hyman has been M.I.A., minus a goal off his knee, and Skinner looks like our best bet in goal.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Say what you want about the goaltending depth, in my mind the only four players in their prime who have shown the level where they can carry a team as an outskater by themselves are McDavid (right now and 2024), MacKinnon (2020 and 2022) Kucherov (2020) and Draisaitl (2022, 2023), and Canada has two of them
Help me better understand what you mean, M. I am a little (lot) confused.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
LOL. I was joking. As Kramer (Seinfeld) would say, "ORRFF is a joke teller".

:)

I was serious, however, with the rest of the post - Hyman has been M.I.A., minus a goal off his knee, and Skinner looks like our best bet in goal.

I still think Hyman has been good in this series, and I'd still be inclined to select him for a best-on-best team. Yes, he benefits from McDavid on the PP and the net front tap-ins, rebounds, and quick shots in tight. But, if watch him, he's developed some really strong power moves down low and he's strong enough to work past/through defenders and get to the prime scoring areas for good opportunities. To some extent, McDavid has benefited from Hyman as well, as he's proven he has the skill and strength to create opportunities for himself (independent of McDavid), thus drawing defensive coverage and creating space for McDavid to work his magic.

I think Hyman would work (very) well on a line with McDavid, but also independently of McDavid in a bottom-6 kind of role. He's a great player.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I still think Hyman has been good in this series, and I'd still be inclined to select him for a best-on-best team. Yes, he benefits from McDavid on the PP and the net front tap-ins, rebounds, and quick shots in tight. But, if watch him, he's developed some really strong power moves down low and he's strong enough to work past/through defenders and get to the prime scoring areas for good opportunities. To some extent, McDavid has benefited from Hyman as well, as he's proven he has the skill and strength to create opportunities for himself (independent of McDavid), thus drawing defensive coverage and creating space for McDavid to work his magic.

I think Hyman would work (very) well on a line with McDavid, but also independently of McDavid in a bottom-6 kind of role. He's a great player.
Hyman is fine in a best-on-best, but unlike other posters, I do think he’s quite expendable. I think Brayden Point would work excellent with McDavid with them having chemistry from the 2015 WJC. Point has history of playing the RW, is more skilled and can match the speed of McDavid’s play, and has good edgework in the corners. He can also take face-offs if McDavid gets waved off. Point’s never been the type of player to drive the play on his line, Kucherov has historically driven play in Tampa, but he’s an excellent star player to put alongside a McDavid.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
With Reinhart, even if he doesn't produce at a 50+ goal pace going forward he's still one of the best 200-foot wingers in the league and I'd lean on him to play on a matchup line alongside Crosby.

On the other wing, I'd have Point, or Byfield.

With Point, we'd have a RHS centre that is versatile enough to play the off-wing, can take faceoffs on his strong side (as Crosby is a LHS), has great speed, a solid 200-foot game, and can score goals - thus complementing Crosby's playmaking ability.

With Byfield, we'd have a larger-bodied, incredibly fast winger that can move up and down the wing, win board battles all over the ice, and get in fast to pressure the d-men on the forecheck. Not as strong offensively (at this point) as Point though.

With Point you complete the line of cerebral, highly-skilled and complementary players; with Byfield you add some size and athleticism, and maybe a more dynamic presence analogous to Nash on Toews' line in 2010.

My current forward lineup:

Hyman - McDavid - Bedard
Byfield - MacKinnon - Johnston
Point - Crosby - Reinhart
Verhaeghe - Thomas - Lafreniere
Konecny, Marner

Scheifele - McDavid - Marner
Point - MacKinnon - Reinhart
Lafreniere - Crosby - Bedard
Dubois - Horvat - Barzal
Byfield - Johnston - McTavish

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Scheifele - McDavid - Marner
Point - MacKinnon - Reinhart
Lafreniere - Crosby - Bedard
Dubois - Horvat - Barzal
Byfield - Johnston - McTavish
Interesting line-up. Would rather have Byfield on the 4th line instead of Dubois. I don’t think Scheifele belongs on a best-on-best anymore, I’d rather take someone like Marchand or Verhaege over him.

I’d like to hear your case for leaving Robert Thomas off

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Lafreniere? Byfield? Can't see how those guys would be picked yet at this point.

This isn't Team Finland or Slovakia being selected here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad