Antti Raanta reveals Arizona-themed mask Update: Full equipment reveal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Here's our first look:

2IYlYr7.jpg

The cartoon dog in the design is Rantanplan, a nickname Raanta got based on a Belgian TV show.

65a376f5ad1c0c845162.png

You can read about this in Raanta's players' tribune piece:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/antti-raanta-behind-the-mask-new-york-rangers/

That's the dog who is always featured somewhere on my masks. He's a character in the Belgian cartoon Lucky Luke.

Rantanplan is a prison guard dog who helps the sheriff Lucky Luke track down escaped criminals. Except, instead of being really clever like an American cartoon dog, Rantanplan is really slow and he loves food. It's pretty funny. Sometimes he'll think a bar of soap is a piece of cake and he'll eat it and then he'll be chasing around the criminals with bubbles coming out of his mouth.

Rantanplan has always been on my masks for a personal reason. When I was 15, my goalie coach had two young children at home, and they loved the cartoon.

My coach loved giving us millions of nicknames. Every practice, he'd give you a new one. So one day, for whatever reason, maybe I was slow that day, or maybe he was just being cheeky with my last name, he starts yelling out, "Raantanplan with the save!"

"Raantanplan flashes the glove!"

"Raantanplaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!"

I have to admit, it was pretty good. It just stuck. He stopped giving me new nicknames. From that day on, I was Raantanplan.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Freaking sweet. Would have liked to see a slightly more pronounced Coyotes logo somewhere but other than that it's awesome

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Hehe, the chin of the mask is a cow-catcher, that's awesome.

Except, instead of being really clever like an American cartoon dog, Rantanplan is really slow and he loves food.

220px-Goofy.svg.png

Also,

Lucky Luke (1983 TV series)[edit]
Lucky Luke is a French-American animated television series based on the comic book series of the same name created by Morris. ...

Synopsis
Lucky Luke is a solitary cowboy traveling through the Far West. Accompanied by his faithful Jolly Jumper and almost every episode by Rantanplan the prison guard dog who gets lost in the West by wanting to follow Lucky Luke or find his prison, he finds himself confronted with various bandits and thugs like the Dalton, Billy The Kid , Jesse James and Phil Defer.

*Now* it does make more sense

Last edited:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Freaking sweet. Would have liked to see a slightly more pronounced Coyotes logo somewhere but other than that it's awesome

The logo isn't too bad and is kind of clever. If he could have the coyotes logo glow-in the dark or color changing, it would be more pronounced. Often, when we get closeups of goalies, their heads tend to be slightly angled down, so the Coyotes logo will probably be easier to see.

New entrance music for the team? :)

Last edited:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Where is the cattle guard?

I don't know much about trains. Not a train guy. My understanding is that the Cattle Catcher or Cow Catcher or more colorfully Steer Splitter is the Pilot at the front of a locomotive designed to knock large objects (or snow) aside tracks rather than those objects potentially going under the train and risking derailment. On this helmet you can see it in the "chin" area.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
So what are some of the better masks in Coyotes history?

A few off the top of my head...

Brian Boucher's brick wall

Xsh33yh.jpg

Domingue's kachina

0479c3304545ea3191f37370dd97d761.jpg

That first mask Louie wore

20150202-000829-g.jpg

Dubnyk's, which looks kinda similar to Raanta's

dubnyk1.jpg

Greiss, not my style but points for creativity

YFvKQjc.jpg

Cujo is a natural as a desert dog

GettyImages-72866548.jpg

Bulin Wall. As a kid, I had the street hockey version of that mask

uRvodEB.jpg

Lindback, simple works

tYzZJET.png

Monty

O3IItoG.jpg

That first mask Mike Smith wore, circa 2012

c849eb15008883f62d51ddfbb68f7492.jpg

And Smitty's kachina

r02Bora.jpg

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Smitty had about 10 different designs through his tenure. And probably 3 or 4 designs alone last season. All pretty solid.

This one is good too

mike-smith.jpg

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
I don't know much about trains. Not a train guy. My understanding is that the Cattle Catcher or Cow Catcher or more colorfully Steer Splitter is the Pilot at the front of a locomotive designed to knock large objects (or snow) aside tracks rather than those objects potentially going under the train and risking derailment. On this helmet you can see it in the "chin" area.

I gotcha. I was thinking the grate on the roadway. Man, cattle get in the way of everything! Haha

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Another good one for Dubnyk. Except he was traded before the throwback game, so we never actually got to see this mask live.

15957377562_69e9e8de84_b.jpg

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
I like Smith's Kachina the most.

I honestly can't even remember Lindback being a member of this team.
Tore his Achilles in a very bizarre pregame off-ice warmup, was never seen again. I've always thought it was suspicious and under-explained and he's never played in the NHL again.

Like the new mask, it's more western/desert than cartoon coyotes, which is cool.

Favorite is probably Smith's Kachina ... that was the one with Alice Cooper on there, right?

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Tore his Achilles in a very bizarre pregame off-ice warmup, was never seen again. I've always thought it was suspicious and under-explained and he's never played in the NHL again.

Lindback had a pro tryout with the Devils last training camp but it didn't turn into anything.

Edit: He's back in Nashville this year on a two-way deal.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad