Speculation: Antti Raanta done in the NHL?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Finnish article translated. Sure seems like he’s retired.

Miikka Lahtinen | 14.09.2024 | 09.00
Goalkeeper Antti Raanna's NHL career is over.

The 35-year-old Finnish goalkeeper confirmed the matter to Ilta-Sanom. Raanta currently lives with her family in Rauma.

- The role of second or third baseman and possibly playing in the AHL was on offer. It's not necessarily the case of playing up to 60 games in the AHL at the age of 35, and just waiting for maybe someone to fail or get injured, then you'll be in trouble, Raanta said to IS.

In North America, it was previously reported that Raanta would be interested at least in the Vancouver Canucks, but only with a try out contract. It was not to Finn's liking.

- I knocked it down right away and announced that I've kind of made up my mind that I won't go there anymore, Raanta said.

The career continues in Europe

Now the goalkeeper's eyes are firmly on Europe, so the career is not over yet.

Raanta and his family are most interested in the main leagues of Switzerland, Germany and the Czech Republic.

- At least we'll be in Rauma for a little while longer. Now let's see what the days of the month will bring. If places start to open somewhere in Europe. Waiting for that a bit.

- Every other day, the wife shows on Instagram, when the wife of someone playing in Switzerland has updated pictures from there, that how great it looks there. The wife has insisted that the devil call Switzerland now and make a deal. It doesn't quite work out that way, Raanta laughed.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The Devils are currently full at goaltender so he's probably not going to get that call he's waiting for. He probably wont be there to receive the call anyways since he's home in Rauma and wants the Devils to call Switzerland.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
- Doesn't want to play in the AHL waiting for a spot to open due to injury or whatever
- Is interested in Swiss, German and Czech leagues
- Currently living in Finland with family

• Wow
Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He's not even saying he's retiring. He's saying that he won't be going to NHL to play in a role where there's a threat that he'd have to play in AHL, and he'd rather be with his family, playing in Europe, preferably Switzerland. Canucks for example offered him a tryout and he wasn't interested in something like that.

Also, the translation of "veskari" is "goalie" according to Google Translation, so how did you get "baseman" out of it? The rest of the translation is atrocious, too.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't know how Vancouver doesn't give him 1 year 1 million.

Both their goalies are they really going to go into the season with their 3rd and 4th string goalies as their tandem?

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
”The career continues in Europe” sure does not sound like it is a retirement.
My original header was retirement from the NHL. Since changed by mods

He's not even saying he's retiring. He's saying that he won't be going to NHL to play in a role where there's a threat that he'd have to play in AHL, and he'd rather be with his family, playing in Europe, preferably Switzerland. Canucks for example offered him a tryout and he wasn't interested in something like that.

Also, the translation of "veskari" is "goalie" according to Google Translation, so how did you get "baseman" out of it? The rest of the translation is atrocious, too.
Well if I don’t speak Finnish and I use a translator then how could I possibly know if it is good or bad? Instead of shitting on it, why don’t you translate it? Or bring something to the table other than negativity.

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Well if I don’t speak Finnish and I use a translator then how could I possibly know if it is good or bad? Instead of shitting on it, why don’t you translate it? Or bring something to the table other than negativity.
Yeah, google still cant translate Finnish to English perfectly. Even harder when the original article includes hockey slang, but I'm pretty sure everyone reading that translation understands the main points.

and the devil part, the original article would translate to something like "goddamn, just call the Swiss and get a contract there"

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Pretty sure I read an article about swearing in different languages that one of the worst things you can call someone in Finnish is "devil." Can a Finn confirm?
I would have to say no, calling someone devil is not common and if someone called me devil it wouldn't really matter. Hard to say without context.

However, Perkele is one of the curse word we have, and kind of a well known I guess, and you can translate that as devil. But it is used more as a additional word, like "that f***ing idiot" would be "that perkeleen idiot", so you are not calling that person a devil directly.

But perkele is a really flexible word you can use when things are not going well :D

I guess its partly because those r's roll really nicely and can sound quite aggressive

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I would have to say no, calling someone devil is not common and if someone called me devil it wouldn't really matter. Hard to say without context.

However, Perkele is one of the curse word we have, and kind of a well known I guess, and you can translate that as devil. But it is used more as a additional word, like "that f***ing idiot" would be "that perkeleen idiot", so you are not calling that person a devil directly.

But perkele is a really flexible word you can use when things are not going well :D

I guess its partly because those r's roll really nicely and can sound quite aggressive

Makes sense. I mixed up the details but that's definitely what I was thinking of. Kind of like in Czech when they say "do prdele," which means "up the ass" and is a multipurpose exclamation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad