Anton Volchenkov vs Marc Methot

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pick one

• Volchenkov

• Methot

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Toss up. Volchenkov was more punishing but Meth's mobility (and size) meant he could matchup with speedy forwards as well as heavier players.

I'll go Volchenkov I guess.

Reactions: bicboi64

Emerica

May 29, 2010
From what i can remember, Methot was a better skater and definitely puck handler (although Meth wasn’t the greatest puck handler, Volchenkov handled the puck like it was a live grenade).

I distinctly remember Volchenkov for his massive hits and being an absolute machine at blocking shots.

Maybe its recency bias but i’d got with Methot personally

Reactions: gab6511

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tough question as they had very different roles.

Methot was paired with Karlsson, while Volchenkov was with Phillips mostly. The roles were polar opposite, one guy is being the defensive conscious of his line, the other was shutting down the oppositions elite.

Methot did fantastic against guys like Crosby in our ECF run, but Volchenkov was tasked with that every game

Both guys are great, and we could use a RH version ASAP.

Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Methot was a very good player, but Volchenkov and it's not close.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Wow great off-season thread, such a tough question!

Meth's hipchecks were a thing of beauty, he seriously had a few of them over his career here that were alltime poster-worthy. I remember being so pumped when he flipped Crosby like a lil' bitch. That was awesome.

But the a-train was a friggin wrecking ball. He and phillips were the best shutdown pairing we've ever had, and I think they were probably the best defensive pair in the league for a short time. Volchnkov would have had a longer career if he'd not been a shot-blocking machine and played all out all the time the way he did.

Meth was probably the better overall player though, especially because he and Karlsson had great chemistry and each understood their roles and how to play off each other. But I'd imagine there were others who could have done something similar paired with prime EK.

f*** it, I'd rather have the A-Train, dude was a non-stop beast. Pretty special player, especially these days. If we had that on our team now, everyone else would play 2 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
That's really underselling Gonchar who led the team in TOI and assists (was 2nd in scoring behind Turris).

Gonchar was really solid and people tend to forget about him.

Methot led the team in ES TOI and was paired with Gryba. While Gonchar did step up that season, he at least had Phillips on his pairing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Methot led the team in ES TOI and was paired with Gryba. While Gonchar did step up that season, he at least had Phillips on his pairing.
Phillips wasn't exactly a spring chicken at that point, he'd been roundly criticized for a number of years prior for his decline.

The point is your claim was Methot single-handedly carried the Sens D which is laughably false given Gonchar clearly played a significant role. Methot was great, but he didn't carry anything, he stepped up, sure, but so did Gonchar,

I think it's also fair to note, Methot still spent a lot of time with Karlsson, only 70 mins 5v5 less than he did with Gryba.

Reactions: bicboi64

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Remember the game Volchenkov blocked a shot with his head and left the game and he wanted to come back and play but the helmet wouldn't fit back on properly because of the swelling lol

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Methot almost singlehandedly carried the Sens' D to the playoffs when Cooke sliced Karlsson's achilles. Volchenkov, while good, was never a #1 here.
No. The goalies played at an elite level and Gonchar was solid.

Methot must be the most overrated Sen ever, his slap pass off the boards still irk me. Got carried by EK his whole career here.

Volchenkov not close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad