Anthony DeAngelo's Potential/Future

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I think that in 10 months, he's going to be viewed as an untouchable cornerstone piece. It seems many/most of the fans on forum 40 don't think much of him. That's a mistake in my opinion. He's got "it" on the ice. The only thing that worries me is the terrible coaching he's going to get unless we can manage to fire Tippett and Playfair. Aside from coaches ruining him, the sky's the limit.

So, haters, doubters and underraters; stand and be counted. Hands up if you don't think much of this player. I want the record to show it for next summer. Likewise, if you share my nutty enthusiasm, identify yourself now. I want to come back to this thread in 2018 and see who stood on what side of this line in the sand.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
I'm on Team DeAngelo.

We're getting shirts:

md_Hoodie-Black2330.jpg

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think if he can keep his attitude in check he's a lock for a top 4 puck moving dman. He's insane with the puck, and while he does make the occasional mistake defensively, it doesn't happen nearly as often as some on here say. I also like that despite being short he doesn't back down from physical play at all.

Untouchable cornerstone piece might be a bit much to me though, because I think he'll be behind OEL and Chychrun long term. I can easily see him being our 3rd best dman and a very valuable player though. I also think there's more risk to him then just our coaching staff (though that's a concern I share too), if he can't keep his emotions under control he could end up spending lots of time in the box or suspended.

Basically, if it's a binary one side or the other thing I'm with RT, but I don't think his upside is quite as high as RT does and I'm a bit worried about his attitude and ability to control his emotions.

RufusG

May 23, 2017
Was really impressed with his poise moving the puck as a rookie. Since we had a huge problem exiting the zone last year I hope to see him get big minutes next season. His (non)usage has been the biggest factor turning me against Tippett.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I like him on the third pairing with Chychrun. I'm not confident in him holding down top 4 minutes though.

Not concerned about the coaching. Tipp had no problem with Yandle. And we've all seen that Tipp quote from his Houston days about preferring puck moving D.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
UMC said:
Basically, if it's a binary one side or the other thing I'm with RT, but I don't think his upside is quite as high as RT does and I'm a bit worried about his attitude and ability to control his emotions.
Pretty much where I'm at. I wasn't thrilled with the trade at the time, but he was much more polished than I expected as a rookie. Coaching remains a concern, as does his reputation. He's a hothead with a rep with officials already, so he'll need to rein it in.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I see his ceiling being somewhere around what Tyson Barrie is. 40-50 points, seen as a defensive liability. I think a 2nd pairing of Chychrun/DeAngelo could be really good in the future but we still don't have a partner for OEL. If we moved DeAngelo to get that I'd support it.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I see his ceiling being somewhere around what Tyson Barrie is.

Pretty much. I think DeAngelo's goal scoring instincts are better and when he gets described as a puck moving D that actually short sells him a bit. But I don't think he gets to the point of being considered a top 60 defender.

My willingness to trade him has very little to do with that. I just simply don't think he's all that important as a part of a future core.

I think rt is misinterpreting widespread mild-moderate enthusiasm for people not thinking much of him :P. Probably reading the mains too much ;)

EDIT: For some evidence, while it's from last year I think that actually helps the case:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2111137

He was polled as the 5th best prospect and that was before we had the chance to see him on the team. Behind all the big names but ahead of the rest of the pack. So it's not like his stock as gone down around here far as I can tell.

Last edited:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Between him and OEL, we have a couple guys that can really get under the other team's skin. Might need to keep Schenn around just to protect those two.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I think that in 10 months, he's going to be viewed as an untouchable cornerstone piece. It seems many/most of the fans on forum 40 don't think much of him. That's a mistake in my opinion. He's got "it" on the ice. The only thing that worries me is the terrible coaching he's going to get unless we can manage to fire Tippett and Playfair. Aside from coaches ruining him, the sky's the limit.

So, haters, doubters and underraters; stand and be counted. Hands up if you don't think much of this player. I want the record to show it for next summer. Likewise, if you share my nutty enthusiasm, identify yourself now. I want to come back to this thread in 2018 and see who stood on what side of this line in the sand.
Totally agree, talented PMD are hard to find.....we only have 2 in the organization and he's one of them. He has a skillset that can't be taught. And his edginess will make him a fan fav at some point. As for the haters...he doesn't care....in fact I hope he changes his number to 45 to badger haters even more.

Also agree that this coaching staff will inhibit his ability to achieve his potential. Smith's public berating doesn't help either.....really hope 41 has a new home in a couple weeks.

I'm all in for Tony D!! :yo:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Totally agree, talented PMD are hard to find.....we only have 2 in the organization and he's one of them. He has a skillset that can't be taught. And his edginess will make him a fan fav at some point. As for the haters...he doesn't care....in fact I hope he changes his number to 45 to badger haters even more.

Also agree that this coaching staff will inhibit his ability to achieve his potential. Smith's public berating doesn't help either.....really hope 41 has a new home in a couple weeks.

I'm all in for Tony D!! :yo:

Hell yeah m'man. Eff Tippett, eff Playfair, and eff Smith. I'm all about DeAngelo. These zippy ass PMDs are extremely my ****.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
I like him on the third pairing with Chychrun. I'm not confident in him holding down top 4 minutes though.

Not concerned about the coaching. Tipp had no problem with Yandle. And we've all seen that Tipp quote from his Houston days about preferring puck moving D.

I feel like this is opposite day reading this. If chychrun and DeAngelo are third pairing then we clearly have the best top 4 in the league.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Huge fan of Tony D. Incredible talent and still plenty of potential to unlock. Obviously has a very interesting personality, but as long as he doesn't completely go off the rails, he's worth the risks.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Big fan. Think he'll pan out and be a great play for us in the future. Call me crazy, but I like him more than most of our forward prospects that some people love to talk up.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
I saw the NHL notification on my phone when the trade was made and figured it was for another DeAngelo. I still think it is unreal we grabbed him for what we did, especially after what he did in the AHL, There are still warts, but there is also more hope that he can be an top 4 defenseman than there was when we traded for him. Dumba is someone I would trade straight up for right now, although I don't know who would be more valuable in 3 years, and that is why I would rather have a player like Tanev who is not like another defenseman on our roster.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

Do you expect him to top out higher than Chychrun? Personally I do not think he will but admittedly Pho scared me when he brought up the Chychrun to Bogosian comparisons.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
While I'm still at the wait and see level on him, I do see that he has potential; it's more a matter of finding and displaying that potential that I'm worried about. His defensive lapses don't seem as horrible as Yandle's but he still has a ways to go. Like others have mentioned, I worry about reaching that potential in our system, but perhaps there will be some changes there. If it goes on as it has, DeAngelo will continue to struggle (as will several of our other offensive players). Still, if the right trade comes along, I pull the trigger but would still like to see if he can get more ice-time and excel next season.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I don't understand why some are worried about DeAngelo under Tippet. Yandle thrived under Tippet and DeAngelo plays a similar game.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Big fan since draft year. Refs hate him though.

I think if he can keep his attitude in check he's a lock for a top 4 puck moving dman. He's insane with the puck, and while he does make the occasional mistake defensively, it doesn't happen nearly as often as some on here say. I also like that despite being short he doesn't back down from physical play at all.

Untouchable cornerstone piece might be a bit much to me though, because I think he'll be behind OEL and Chychrun long term. I can easily see him being our 3rd best dman and a very valuable player though. I also think there's more risk to him then just our coaching staff (though that's a concern I share too), if he can't keep his emotions under control he could end up spending lots of time in the box or suspended.

This is pretty much how I feel.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yandle had 119 games worth of "the magic ingredient" including a 30 pt campaign in 69 games before Dave Tippet ever ran into him. He was "proven". I'm not convinced that rookie Keith Yandle would have "thrived" under Dave Tippett. Does rookie Yandle ever get development time and the magic ingredient under Tippett? Or does he get yanked around in short bursts up and down? Because Rookie Yandle was scary on another level than DeAngelo.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yandle had 119 games worth of "the magic ingredient" including a 30 pt campaign in 69 games before Dave Tippet ever ran into him. He was "proven". I'm not convinced that rookie Keith Yandle would have "thrived" under Dave Tippett. Does rookie Yandle ever get development time and the magic ingredient under Tippett? Or does he get yanked around in short bursts up and down? Because Rookie Yandle was scary on another level than DeAngelo.

Another dig. Like the player has nothing to do about their mistakes and development.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's not a dig. Dave Tippett doesn't believe in on the job training. He'd rather play Peter Holland as a top six center than Dvorak because Peter Holland has "proven he can play in this league". That's a quote when he was asked about experience being the "magic ingredient". "It just is".
Acknowledging Dave Tippett's archaic 1980's development plans is not a dig. Saying Dave Tippett is a short-sighted idiot without providing any other supporting data would have been a dig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad