Post-Game Talk: Another tease game...how did we only lose 5-3? Season over. Too late to tank?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Can someone explain why Washington is ahead of the Leafs when the Leafs have more ROW? Is it because of the 1 fewer game?

When teams are tied in points then the team with the better winning percentage takes precedence. After 82 games, that will even out but until then, games in hand is the first tie breaker. Once 82 games are done, the ROW will take precedence in case of a tie in points.

Could be, both are pretty flawed though.

We play more of a contain collapse than we do a swarm in my opinion. Swarms are aggressive and cut off options. The Leafs are content to allow low percentage shots and play around the outside of the ice. Theyll cheat towards the slot as well, where a swarm is generally the players cheating to a passing Lane (aside from the pressure man)

Definitely. At first I thought that perimeter shots weren't so bad but then listening to our goalies talk about how tired they felt after facing a 40+ night of shots really allowed me to see the game from their point of view. Besides that, our team is just plain stupid in their own end. Their inability to clear a puck out of their own end is maddening.

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Can someone explain why Washington is ahead of the Leafs when the Leafs have more ROW? Is it because of the 1 fewer game?

What's frustrating about Washington, and Detroit even, is that they're only ahead of us due to their OTL/SO losses. Caps have 12 Wings have 14.

Leafs have more wins than both of them....

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
What's frustrating about Washington, and Detroit even, is that they're only ahead of us due to their OTL/SO losses. Caps have 12 Wings have 14.

Leafs also have 9 shootout wins, second most in the league.

Yeah.. OTL/SO points aren't the frustrating thing for me.

The completely lack of leadership of any sort and the lack of heart on this team are the reasons I get frustrated.

Getting paid millions to play a game and mailing it in night after night...

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Not so much for the Caps but for Detroit, that's damn impressive to me because they've been playing with injuries all season long and are finding ways to grab points wherever they can. I'm not so bothered by loser points as others have. They make for a tighter race. It sucks when your team is on the losing end of the loser points business but if they were actually benefitting from it then it probably wouldn't seem so bad.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
i thought Mirtle's tweet this morning made sense. it must be hard to play hard within a system that you know isn't working. these guys have played hockey their whole lives, they can't be completely blind to it.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
i thought Mirtle's tweet this morning made sense. it must be hard to play hard within a system that you know isn't working. these guys have played hockey their whole lives, they can't be completely blind to it.

No system will work if you play stupid. The system seems flawed (whatever it may be) but the players are flawed as well. If you don't execute a system properly then you can't know for certain if it works or not.

GreekLeafer

Dec 6, 2010
Ottawa
then again the Leafs front office is kind of the mecca of "hockey guy" think.

Bingo. And that drips down to a large portion of the fanbase. The reason why people remember Clark and not Mogilny or Andreychuk. Same people who hate on Sundin but probably loved the Clarkson signing.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
dont worry boys we got phaneuf and that other guy wendel clarkson for atleast 5 more years to lead us into a garbage can behind Wendy's or something... i'm not sure where they are heading

Pedagogue

May 31, 2009
As I watched that game I really wanted the teams to trade jerseys. Don't let the score fool you the Leafs got manhandled! St. Louis looked so good, now that's a hockey team.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
it's either the team isn't playing carlyle's system OR the system isn't good.

if the team isn't playing the system, then the coach lost the room. in which case you ship out much of the team OR you fire the coach

if the system isn't good, then you fire the coach.

so 2/3 solutions seem to point towards firing the coach. i'd play the odds.

it's too late to tank for a high lottery but i think we could fall to 10th last. maybe we just throw reimer in net and fire carlyle.

i like fiala so i wouldn't mind the tanking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad