Another Oilers Thread...Legitimate Question?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Alright, I know there is a million Oiler threads already. But I had just one question. The Oilers are well on their way to McDavid/Eichel. With that being said if they do end up with one of those two players, who is going to play defense and who is going to be their goalie of the future?

These are the two most pivotal positions of any Stanley Cup contending team in the West. From looking at the advanced stats, its clear they are struggling mightily in these two spots. Is 20 year old Nurse really going to fix everything in the next 2-3 years? Is Hanifin close enough to the top 2 to draft if they pick at #2? We can see in Florida how big of an impact Ekblad is having. One can just imagine if Hanifin is on par with Ekblad or even better that he would be more helpful to the Oilers than another center. One more year and they break the longest streak without making the playoffs. Thoughts?

Oct 18, 2011
use hall and eberle as your chips to address D and possibly goalie.
build around one of the big 2, RNH, and Draisaitl

everyone else should be on the chopping block

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Coming from an Oilers fan,

Until Lowe is terminated, the Oilers will suck for the next decade. The 2015-16 season is already a write off.

It's embarrassing to cheer for the Oilers.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
This is what the Oilers do to opposing fans.

That's it, I'm shutting this off. I can't stomach watching another ****ing win against the ****ing Oilers, they're the only ****ing team we've been able to beat, since Halloween, and they're the only team we can't afford to win against. God ****ing dammit. This the first time I've been pissed off about hockey all season. I'm done for the night.

but as for the question OP, we'll improve a little bit. Mact refuses to trade any of the core so it will be more 3-6 defenseman and backup goalies abound.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

Until Lowe is terminated, the Oilers will suck for the next decade. The 2015-16 season is already a write off.

This thread wasn't to talk badly about the Oilers, but rather to find out ways in which they could effectively address there greatest needs. D+Goalie. I just think about how big of an impact a player such as Ekblad/Hanifin would have on that team.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

It's not embarrassing. They are very young. It takes time for young guys to play structured hockey. If you can't play structured hockey in the NHL it's tough to win on skill. I don't watch Edmonton a lot but I would assume they lose board battles (no man strength, whatever they call it).

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
There's no way they would take Hanifin over these guys if that's what you're suggesting. The Oilers have assets to make an impact deal for help elsewhere. It's a matter of if MacTavish has the balls to do something big. If it were up to me two of Eberle/Perron/Yakupov would be gone in the off-season for D/G help. I'd also dangle Draisaitl + and see what that could fetch.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
This thread wasn't to talk badly about the Oilers, but rather to find out ways in which they could effectively address there greatest needs. D+Goalie. I just think about how big of an impact a player such as Ekblad/Hanifin would have on that team.

The Oilers greatest need is new management. Someone who never played for the 1980s Oilers dynasty.

Once we get new management, everything will fall into place (I would hope so).

The problem is the Oilers perpetual losing culture. Does anyone realize that the Oilers overturned their entire roster in four years, yet we're still 30th. This isn't a player issue anymore, its a poisonous culture that starts at the top. To kill a snake, you chop off the head, not the tail!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
lol @ Oiler fans cheering for the tank now too, I guess they can celebrate now and wonder why nothings changed next season :laugh: It's funny seeing some of them make fun of Calgary for actually winning games.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
For those who've never witnessed Oilers management at its worse. The sheer arrogance in the face of perpetual incompetence. New management is a more pressing need than goalie or defense right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad