Confirmed with Link: Andlauer reaches deal for Ottawa Senators ownership

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Leafs are just rich kids with to much money, they think paying top dollar means you have the best people and in reality Bérubé is there for a final and biggest payday.

leafs are happy because they paid the most which to them means they got the best.
To be fair, many of us on this board had Berube at the top or near it In terms of preferred HC options.
Regardless of what was paid, I don’t take issue with leafers thinking they got the best available.

Also, f*** the leafs, of course. I hope this hire is a crash and burn train wreck for them.

Reactions: Cosmix

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
To be fair, many of us on this board had Berube at the top or near it In terms of preferred HC options.
Regardless of what was paid, I don’t take issue with leafers thinking they got the best available.

Also, f*** the leafs, of course. I hope this hire is a crash and burn train wreck for them.

Lack of a solid goaltending tandem, and not having a stud #1 DMan are the two biggest holes on the leafs roster…. Until they resolve those two holes on their roster, adding Berube may not be enough to get them past the first round.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Lack of a solid goaltending tandem, and not having a stud #1 DMan are the two biggest holes on the leafs roster…. Until they resolve those two holes on their roster, adding Berube may not be enough to get them past the first round.
The Leafs are spending too much on high end forwards (Mathews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares) and not enough on high end defensemen and a high quality goaltender. Their strength cannot overcome their weakness. They can make the playoffs but cannot play tough playoff hockey.

Then we have the Senators that cannot make the playoffs and cannot play tough playoff hockey. Oh well.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The Leafs are spending too much on high end forwards (Mathews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares) and not enough on high end defensemen and a high quality goaltender. Their strength cannot overcome their weakness. They can make the playoffs but cannot play tough playoff hockey.

Then we have the Senators that cannot make the playoffs and cannot play tough playoff hockey. Oh well.
The irony for long time Sens fans is that the leafs need a “Gary Roberts”

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
so Andlauer walks through the door in Sept 2023.

1) a team expected to make the playoffs falls flat
2) Salary cap issue
3) Shane Pinto gambling
4) Dorion's antics costs a 1st rounder
5) a brand new 5 x 4 M goalie cannot stop a beach ball
6) a brand new D man (Chyc.), who cost you a #11 is unhappy. And you have to pay him some 3 M over his AAV. And make a decision on his extension!
7) rumour of an unhappy Captain and possibly wanting out
8) injury woes for Chabot. 4 years left at ~ 9 M a year average
9) injury scare for Stuzzle
10) Injury for Norris. Possibly career ending or at the least threatening at ~ 9M on 5 years left
11) House cleaning of hockey Ops.
12) no real indication of a possible uptick in play
13) his needs; a goalie, an RHD a quality top 6 winger. Depth in the bottom 6. Might as well be searching for a Hope diamond.

Other than that, nothing to worry about.

good thing he is rich. He will need some of that money for therapy, or booze.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
so Andlauer walks through the door in Sept 2023.

1) a team expected to make the playoffs falls flat
2) Salary cap issue
3) Shane Pinto gambling
4) Dorion's antics costs a 1st rounder
5) a brand new 5 x 4 M goalie cannot stop a beach ball
6) a brand new D man (Chyc.), who cost you a #11 is unhappy. And you have to pay him some 3 M over his AAV. And make a decision on his extension!
7) rumour of an unhappy Captain and possibly wanting out
8) injury woes for Chabot. 4 years left at ~ 9 M a year average
9) injury scare for Stuzzle
10) Injury for Norris. Possibly career ending or at the least threatening at ~ 9M on 5 years left
11) House cleaning of hockey Ops.
12) no real indication of a possible uptick in play
13) his needs; a goalie, an RHD a quality top 6 winger. Depth in the bottom 6. Might as well be searching for a Hope diamond.

Other than that, nothing to worry about.

good thing he is rich. He will need some of that money for therapy, or booze.
They seemed to have a pretty good handle on the state of the team. They were tempering expectations and likely knew it was a long game to clean up the mess.

Plus, like Melnyk's ownership, surely the value of the franchise will only increase exponentially.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
They seemed to have a pretty good handle on the state of the team. They were tempering expectations and likely knew it was a long game to clean up the mess.

Plus, like Melnyk's ownership, surely the value of the franchise will only increase exponentially.
Yea, but damn. It could not have been all that much worse for Andlauer.

I guess things can only go up from here.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Really good interview with Andlauer on CiH today.

Two interesting nuggets re: the Dadonov penalty.

He said they asked the league if they could forfeit the Boston first rounder we owned, and were told no.

He implied (but didn't explictly say) that he negotiated the 3-year window to forfeit our pick.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014

He said they asked the league if they could forfeit the Boston first rounder we owned, and were told no.

He implied (but didn't explictly say) that he negotiated the 3-year window to forfeit our pick.
Also said he’s optimistic the deal with NCC for the lease will get done by the current deadline in September, fingers crossed

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

If both these things are true, that basically means the League wanted us to lose a top 5-10 pick all to appease Vegas, what the f***.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Also said he’s optimistic the deal with NCC for the lease will get done by the current deadline in September, fingers crossed
The ncc deal was window dressing for the sale of the team and that training and medical facilities where a mess. I stopped at "Nobody wants to play in Belleville." Will finish up the interview soon.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If both these things are true, that basically means the League wanted us to lose a top 5-10 pick all to appease Vegas, what the f***.
It is possible they asked about using the Boston pick this year at the draft well after negotiating the three years, also, we negotiated the 3 years prior to knowing what this year's pick would be, so maybe the league thought we'd be a playoff team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I am not surprised the league said no to the proposal for Ottawa to give up Boston's #25 pick in the draft. Doing so could set a precedent for future similar situations such that a team could make a trade for a late draft pick from another team to pay it's "fine" rather than have to give up its higher pick.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I am not surprised the league said no to the proposal for Ottawa to give up Boston's #25 pick in the draft. Doing so could set a precedent for future similar situations such that a team could make a trade for a late draft pick from another team to pay it's "fine" rather than have to give up its higher pick.
In that case, the team would still lose something of value for nothing which would be a penalty.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

The distinction would be that we already owned the pick prior to the ruling being made. So while your point is valid, I think that the league could have made an exception on that basis.

I think it is a case where the league wants to come down hard on the violation, like they did with the Coyotes.

If the league subscribed to the idea that the Andlauer owned team should not be responsible for something that happened under what effectively was a different organization, they wouldn't have punished them in the first place.

Unless there is some legal ground that Andlauer has to stand on based on how the situation was represented during the sale, I highly doubt we will see the punishment softened any further. The three year window was likely the league's version of relenting and softening it already.

We have to hope that we make the playoffs and do some damage this year, because ironically if not, we might end up in a very similar situation with a new rebuild to the one we started in, where we were out a very important pick.

If Andlauer wanted to get back at the league, he should sell the team to Neko Sparks.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
The NHL is so full of crap for the whole debacle around the first round pick.

I hope Andlauer sticks it to them and tells them we're not paying it and the NHL does nothing about it the same way they let NJD keep the first rounder they were supposed to forfeit after the Kovalchuk extension
New Jersey did lose a 3rd round pick and ultimately their 1st in 2014 (which would have been 10th, I think). They did get a 1st round pick back, but it was 30th and they could not deal it.

Still, I have all sorts of trouble penalizing the guy that paid near $1B for the Sens for the ineptness of the previous regime that everyone was happy to move on from.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The whole thing is so stupid. That "botched" trade also led Vegas to winning a Cup, yet they still have the audacity to complain...and especially after outright breaking cap rules, too.

It just shows there is not a level playing field in this league and some teams will always get the benefit while others get bent over.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
The whole thing is so stupid. That "botched" trade also led Vegas to winning a Cup, yet they still have the audacity to complain...and especially after outright breaking cap rules, too.

It just shows there is not a level playing field in this league and some teams will always get the benefit while others get bent over.

Don't worry the water will dry up soon enough.

Reactions: Dionysus

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Don't worry the water will dry up soon enough.

I hope so. I really do.

But it feels like the league gets more unbalanced every few years. Unless Ottawa waves a magic wand and morphs back into Silicon Valley North again asap, I don't see any movers and shakers in the league giving us any slack.

Reactions: Senscore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad