Proposal: Anaheim Ducks - New Jersey Devils

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Anaheim has trouble scoring goals, so the idea of trading away their top goal-scorer for NJ castoffs is not appealing.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Injury reporting is different with each org, when your talking about injured all the time, GP and Minutes are black and white. As for everything else, im not trying to sell you on his value and don't care. Just giving you the black and white numbers that are opposite to what are saying.
I'm sure it is different with each organization, but he is constantly listed as DTD. I have had him in my keeper pool and has been unrealiable as a starter for missing too many games here and there. I see that he is missing many games to minor injuries. The same would apply to a team contending for a Stanley cup. Especially when the schedule is much harder come playoff time.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
What would you say that
:To New Jersey:
Gibson (50% retained 2024)
third round 2024

To Anaheim
:Vanecek
Holtz
Seamus Casey

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
What would you say that
third round 2024

To Anaheim
Holtz
Seamus Casey
What does 50% retained 2024 mean?

It doesn't really matter what it means the Devils wouldn't trade all that for Gibson anyway, but I'm curious.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
What would you say that
third round 2024

To Anaheim
Holtz
Seamus Casey
zero interest. I wouldn't give up one of Holtz or Casey for Gibson, let alone both.
You may get that value from elsehwere, I just don't want to pay it for a goalie of Gibsons calibre. He's been pretty average the last half decade
IMO I think Gibsons value isn't anywhere near what they think its worth. They are probably better off keeping him.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
How is Holtz a top young player??? Even Lindy Ruff things he's a liability and won't play him when the game is on the line.

"top young player" is probably pushing it. Top young players are guys that are typically unavailable in my opinion and while I don't think that the Devils want to move Holtz, I certainly don't think he's off the table in any trade negotiation.

But Holtz's game looks miles ahead of where it used to be, and I'm pretty sure Holtz legit leads the devils in goals & points per 60 at even strength. Lindy's refusal to play him in general (has nothing to do with the game being on the line...he legit just doesn't play him) is a running meme not just on here, but with some of the Devils beat guys. It's a joke. Ruff holds him to a level of accountability that is pretty absurd and when others mess up, like Brendan Smith and his never ending stream of bad defensive plays or idiotic penalties, you don't see Lindy do a thing. It's the most bizarre thing. Sharangovich got it a little last year at points, but with holtz its just off the charts.

Holtz is his new Val Nichushkin.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Anaheim will do what all struggling teams do. Try to trade their older guys for more than the trade deadline price. They likely won't get it and they will just sell off expiring UFAs at the trade deadline. Chances are that Vatrano and Gibson are both Ducks at the end of the year.

Reactions: Puckclektr

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Anaheim will do what all struggling teams do. Try to trade their older guys for more than the trade deadline price. They likely won't get it and they will just sell off expiring UFAs at the trade deadline. Chances are that Vatrano and Gibson are both Ducks at the end of the year.

Vatrano with retention would be really tempting, as he'd be a two year "rental" at a low salary, so he could garner a good return now. On a top team he could be a really good 3rd line scorer who can legitimately fill in on a 2nd line if there's an injury.

Gibson's in a weird position in which if he can at least not fall off a cliff, he may actually become more valuable as his contract nears its end and he becomes a true rental and not a medium term financial risk.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Vatrano with retention would be really tempting, as he'd be a two year "rental" at a low salary, so he could garner a good return now. On a top team he could be a really good 3rd line scorer who can legitimately fill in on a 2nd line if there's an injury.

Gibson's in a weird position in which if he can at least not fall off a cliff, he may actually become more valuable as his contract nears its end and he becomes a true rental and not a medium term financial risk.
While I largely agree, I think the reality is that a team is not offering the sort of young player with years of team control left that approaches what they will get from Vatrano as an extended rental. If Vatrano is seen as a solid to good player you get an ok to decent young player back for him, not a Byfield or Mercer or Jarvis or Lundell or whatever similar tier player is involved. I expect that's why teams usually just take the best futures deal they can get. Would you rather have a late first round pick and a B+ prospect or youngish third liner not trending up?

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
This trade proposal just wrong on every level. I get the Devils want a goalie but is giving up Holtz to get one the answer, I don't think so.

Palat has value to the Devils, and almost nowhere else, certainly not to Anaheim so what is he doing here? Plus NTC and he's unlikely to waive for the Ducks

Vatrano is having an amazing season I can't see any reason the Ducks move him for anything less than a 1st and a prospect. I think he's a non starter for a deal between these 2 teams.

VV has zero value as well, he's close to negative value but I don't think the Devils would have to attach anything significant to get rid of him. I think NJ retains on him to make him much easier to take.

VV @50% + Stillman/Filmon + picks for Gibson + Henrique @50%
Vatrano also has 1 more season under contract after this season

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

Big if with Gibson he can easily fall off a cliff and frank the tank while good player Holtz is young cost controlled and what 12 points behind him being yanked off lines and barely played....Ruff holds him accountable too much and others not enough....Wouldn't trade Holtz he is trending up not down....

Reactions: My3Sons

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
It's so odd to me that he's in this proposal at all, he's not a need for NJ and he's very valuable to Anaheim. It just make zero sense at all.
I don’t agree with my Anaheim brothers that he’s available at all. The analytical nerdy ducks fan thinks he is( value is ath right now, gritty players don’t matter) the culture ducks fan thinks he’s not available. Pat verbeek is trying to build a tough to play against culture in Anaheim. You don’t trade away a player who exemplifies that to a T in Vatrano . You trade away a drysdale who is made of glass, for a kid in Cutter who exemplifies the tough to play against culture and skill.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I don’t agree with my Anaheim brothers that he’s available at all. The analytical nerdy ducks fan thinks he is( value is ath right now, gritty players don’t matter) the culture ducks fan thinks he’s not available.

I don't think he's being shopped at all, but I do think he's just the right kind of player at the right salary that they'll conceivably get some pretty tempting offers on him.

And since I doubt they plan on retaining him beyond next year, it just depends on if they think they can get significantly more now vs. a year from now.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I'm sure it is different with each organization, but he is constantly listed as DTD. I have had him in my keeper pool and has been unrealiable as a starter for missing too many games here and there. I see that he is missing many games to minor injuries. The same would apply to a team contending for a Stanley cup. Especially when the schedule is much harder come playoff time.
so i guess him being 5th in Games started among goalies the past 5 years means nothing compared to your "listed DTD in my fantasy league". screw what actual stats say, your completely reliable experience matters more...

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
What does 50% retained 2024 mean?

It doesn't really matter what it means the Devils wouldn't trade all that for Gibson anyway, but I'm curious.
I think they're saying that the Ducks would only retain for this season ... and if that's the case, nope. Any retention is for the remainder of the contract per the CBA.

And iirc, there's two years after this season. So, if you're asking the Ducks to pay $8 million of the remainder of his contract, that's going to cost something good. Either in picks, or a much better player coming back.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
so i guess him being 5th in Games started among goalies the past 5 years means nothing compared to your "listed DTD in my fantasy league". screw what actual stats say, your completely reliable experience matters more...
As I have said earlier. 5th in GP means nothing when you are 88h in GAA and 68th in SV%. He has been given many opportunities to be a full time goalie and play lots. But when he has been DTD so often that also means he isn’t reliable all the time. Look at the top ten goalies in GP the last five years. Then look at their injuries over that period of time. 2-3. Gibson…..22. And many of those goalies also had heavy playoff loads on their body. Gibson hasn’t played in the playoffs in 6 years. I don’t care if he has the most GP, when you are injury prone and your team is looking for a win and you have a lower body injury for 1-3 games regularly you aren’t reliable.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Vatrano on is own is worth at least a 1st, maybe 2 when you consider his contract, versatility, grit, and goal scoring. Not to mention he plays on the PP and PK. Gibson is a starting goaltender, and his contract is not terrible, considering GMs hand out 5 million contracts to average goaltenders like candy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad