An incredible career of Sergei Bobrovsky

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
giphy.gif
Tonight’s adding the cherry on top of the cake of an incredible career by Bob.

Undrafted.

Rough career start with the Flyers.

Gets traded to Columbus.

Wins two Vezinas but is branded a playoff choker.

Signed with the Panthers for a record contract. I honestly don’t think he believed a cup was possible back in 2019 when this winning team just started assembling.

Extremely rough first few years in Florida, was demoted to a backup a few times. Most called him the worst contract in the league.

Starts picking up his vibe as the team improves defensively.

Great play off last season.

Great all around year this season. Another Vezina nomination.

Stanley Cup Champion.

HHOF destined.

What a career, Bob. You’re back on the case !

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
HHOF? Really? I think he’s good but damn there was a while where he was getting destroyed. That’s way too hard to overlook. Hes had some high ups and some really strong lows. I wouldn’t say HHOF

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
HHOF? Really? I think he’s good but damn there was a while where he was getting destroyed. That’s way too hard to overlook. Hes had some high ups and some really strong lows. I wouldn’t say HHOF
Over 400 wins by the time all is said and done, 2 vezinas and a Cup? One more season and he's likely top 10 all time in wins. He's in.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Obviously a much better career than Carey Price

some of our fans would tell you that no one had the career of Price...

they'll tell you LOTS of ifs as to why

IF he dint get hurt by Kreider
IF he played for a better Team
IF this
IF that

its so frustrating...

My perception of Sergei Bobrovsky was generally good but now that he's got the sc along with 2 vezinas and a very good Win% with multiple organisation...the HOF is a no brainer

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
It took a while but he finally cracked his career defining case. Who would have thought that the purpetrator was the quiet 27 year old wierdo from Richmond Hill all along? The only mystery he hasn't solved now is how he is still that good as his age.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Bobrovsky is one of those guys from peripheral, industrial Russian cities with fascinating back stories.

His parents worked in a coal mine and a steeling plant. The bosses of the mine his dad worked on were big sports fans and organized a lot of amateur events, where Bob first learned to enjoy sports.

He even enjoyed riding a bus for an hour to attend 6:45 am practices as a 7-year-old. When one day both of his kid team's goalies couldn't play, he volunteered for the position, because he was flexible due to the influence of Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee movies (and also because the equipment looked cool). But it was 1995, when workers not receiving their wages for months was the norm. So his coach (Alexey Kitsyn, father of former Kings prospect Maxim Kitsyn) turned Sergei's figure skating skates to hockey skates and provided him with handmade goalie equipment. His working class parents don't reflect on the sacrifices they had to make often.

Sergei played his 1st Superleague game at 18 (notably, against future KHL nagibator Sergei Mozyakin), not in a small part due to Metallurg's reluctance to pay the additional tax for icing foreign goalies. He became the starter next year, his work ethic was stellar (his coach and Soviet legend Boris Mikhailov often advised the kid to practice less), but he was a starter for the worst team in the league with pretty mediocre stats and known inconsistencies. He was always behind Semyon Varlamov on his age group's national team and was never drafted because of the 'Russian factor'.

At 21, after Metallurg was once again out of the playoff race early, Bobrovsky was assigned to their MHL team for the 1st ever MHL playoffs. He was really good, led his team to the finals and then was recalled to a national team for a series of friendlies against Team Italy (that decision may or may not have been influenced by their opponent's powerful management). So Bob never won the MHL championship, but it was the 2nd game in MHL playoffs (that he had to miss with pulled groin) when the Flyers scout made contacts to him.

That offseason, Bob was signed by Philadelphia, and the rest of the story is well known.

So happy for Bob.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
He was the difference maker against an all-time great offensive team. Brought a cup to a team which never won one before. This game 7 probably has decided his HHOF chances.
I dont think he was the difference maker for the Panthers in the finals, if not for him the final would have been won a few games before. There is a reason McDavid won the Smythe.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Rough start? He was borderline clutch for the Flyers his rookie year. Ended up being my best Fantasy free agent pickup that year.
He was traded for peanuts though

I dont think he was the difference maker for the Panthers in the finals, if not for him the final would have been won a few games before. There is a reason McDavid won the Smythe.
I disagree. Edmonton was a better team in 5/7 games, if not for Bob in the first two games, Edmonton wins the Stanley cup

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The guy wears his heart on his sleeve, he looked so emotional at every turn of the run. When he got pulled and looked devastated during the collapse. And the absolute elation when they won. Very happy for him

Last edited:
Reactions: luiginb

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Goaltending is just such a weird beast.

He went from a meme on these boards to back-to-back finals appearances and Stanley Cup Champion (with a Vezina nomination to go along with it).

Well deserved after the last couple seasons.

Reactions: Voight and ViD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad