GDT: Amerks @ Sens 7 PM ET - TV: Sabres.com, ESPN+? Radio: WGR550

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Four guys on AHL deals on the ice (and one WHL guy as the backup). 88 total NHL games in the lineup. And they worked.

If this is something Leone can keep up, I'm looking forward to the AHL season. Now how do I sell enough blood to buy the AHL pass through Flohockey? I'm not sure, though it's more that they don't accept it when you bring it in in buckets.
How much do you think was coaching/camp and how much do you think the result tonight was a testament to the drafting/development up to this point?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Starting to see why Ostlund/Kulich are here, and Savoie is not.
I would love to know when they decided he was the one out. It could honestly be he was the one Edmonton wanted most because…hometown kid, highest draft pedigree…and Adams was targeting a player who wasn’t traditionally “available” and had to give to get.

But I’ve wondered if Savoie was going to be in the plans since Benson fell. I’ve believed Kulich surpassed him since his 18 year old season in Roch. I’ve believed they preferred Ostlund since he was the best player at a WJC that Savoie struggled in. But…when Helenius was drafted I thought that could mean more for Ostlund’s future than Savoie since I never thought Savoie would play center at that level. We saw days later that it didn’t. Could have been any of those steps or none of them…and it kills me that we will never know because it is interesting as hell.

But I never worried about the cost of that deal. Because I still had Helenius, Ostlund, Kulich and Benson. And Rosen and Wahlberg if you want them. Just…there’s still too many guys…You know?

But I think Savoie will be a good player…probably better than some of those and not as good as others…but I’ve never minded that he was the one to go first and I was ecstatic when he was there at their pick. When Benson fell the next year it changed a bit for me though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How much do you think was coaching/camp and how much do you think the result tonight was a testament to the drafting/development up to this point?

The bulk of the Rochester returnees have worked together enough for there to be some chemistry there going into these games. They have an idea who they are playing with and what is expected other than Helenius IMO. And he's a mid-first rounder who just played a season against men in Finland. The PP did things that it did when it worked last year even if the trigger man in Kulich wasn't there - there is continuity and I would put that on the staff.

That said, there is also a f*** ton of talent there. Three first round picks dressed for them tonight (Ostlund, Rosen, Helenius) as well as a recent high second (Wahlberg). Add in some nice mid-to-late round pro Russian finds in Neuchev, Komarov, and Novikov and there is clear talent in who tgivehey've drafted. They could've had another recent first rounder in the lineup if Johnson dressed. They have a solid batch of talent, but the augmentation with some quality AHL-level depth guys who play their role is something to look at Karmanos' body of work and give him a tip of the cap IMO.

Some of it is talent. Some of it is coaching. I don't think it's clearly leaning one way or the other.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
I would love to know when they decided he was the one out. It could honestly be he was the one Edmonton wanted most because…hometown kid, highest draft pedigree…and Adams was targeting a player who wasn’t traditionally “available” and had to give to get.

But I’ve wondered if Savoie was going to be in the plans since Benson fell. I’ve believed Kulich surpassed him since his 18 year old season in Roch. I’ve believed they preferred Ostlund since he was the best player at a WJC that Savoie struggled in. But…when Helenius was drafted I thought that could mean more for Ostlund’s future than Savoie since I never thought Savoie would play center at that level. We saw days later that it didn’t. Could have been any of those steps or none of them…and it kills me that we will never know because it is interesting as hell.

But I never worried about the cost of that deal. Because I still had Helenius, Ostlund, Kulich and Benson. And Rosen and Wahlberg if you want them. Just…there’s still too many guys…You know?

But I think Savoie will be a good player…probably better than some of those and not as good as others…but I’ve never minded that he was the one to go first and I was ecstatic when he was there at their pick. When Benson fell the next year it changed a bit for me though.
Kulich and Benson drove Matt down the depth chart, and Konsta sealed the deal.

I imagine if EDM wanted Ostlund he would have been available. I'm happy with how it's panning out so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad