Music: Alvvays

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012
heard them a couple weeks ago and really like them. been playing the album on repeat and haven't gotten tired

their first full album came out on july 22nd. also they're from toronto for you canadians :P

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Highly anticipating their upcoming album (coming out in September). First two singles are out. Really like In Undertow, but not as hot on Dreams Tonite (not the biggest fan of the chorus, although the backing vocals added in later in the song do a lot to overcome that). Hopefully I'll warm up to it. Still pretty good though.

Really impressed by their ability to write interesting and infectious vocal melodies on every song (only 11 released songs total now, but still).

Last edited:

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I've only heard 2 of their songs (Archie, Marry Me and another I forget the name of) but both of them I liked enough to make it to my music library. They're definitely somebody I've been meaning to look more into.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I heard "Archie, Marry Me" on the radio last year. I bought the cd immediately and played it to death for the next couple of months. I liked most of the songs on first listen, which is a rarity for me.

Alvvays cite Teenage Fanclub as an influence, which is a plus in my books. They have some good in-studio performances on YouTube. Their videos, while somewhat minimalist, have decent replay value.

I'm looking forward to the new cd.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I've only heard 2 of their songs (Archie, Marry Me and another I forget the name of) but both of them I liked enough to make it to my music library. They're definitely somebody I've been meaning to look more into.

Very accessible band to look into at this point. Their debut clocks in at just over 30 mins.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
their first full album came out on july 22nd. also they're from toronto for you canadians :P
Molly Rankin is of The Rankin Family namesake and is from Cape Breton, along with the band's keyboardist. The other members are from PEI. This doesn't negate your point that the band is Toronto-based and formed there.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Have loved Alvvays since I heard Adult Diversion a long while back. Saw them at the original WayHome and they were fantastic. Will be seeing them again in December at the Mod Club.

I would say "Ones Who Love You" is my favorite from what was an exceptional debut album.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Have loved Alvvays since I heard Adult Diversion a long while back. Saw them at the original WayHome and they were fantastic. Will be seeing them again in December at the Mod Club.

I would say "Ones Who Love You" is my favorite from what was an exceptional debut album.

It's tough to go away from the first two singles, but Atop a Cake is another one that stood out to me, along with Ones Who Love You.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I've been meaning to listen to this, one of the recent Canadian bands that got my eyebrow raised. The guitarist or someone from Two Hours Traffic is in this band which helps I guess but too bad Two Hours Traffic broke up, I liked their sound.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Another one.

Every song still good. Every damn song she's doing something interesting with a vocal melody on the verses.

I've also drastically changed my opinion on Dreams Tonite, it's really grown on me. Probably my favorite of the 3 singles now.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Greatest band of the 10s? Of the decade? Of the century? Of the millennia?

The answer to all of these questions is yes.

The new singles have succeeded my expectations, and they were SKY HIGH. I'd actually heard Dreams Tonite before, but In Undertow and Plimsoll Punks are just ridiculously perfect pop music.

Can't wait to see them in Brooklyn.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Wow.. "My Baby" might be my new favorite Alvvays song.

This is really, really good but "My Baby" is the only track that really stood out after 1 listen other than the singles.

I'm not worried though because the s/t took multiple listens and now it's an all-time classic for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad